Project Cheap-O-Maxx...DONE!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
A while back while reading the forums here, I came across a post in the For Sale forum. Two old school .15 T-Maxx trucks for $30 each(yes I said old .15 trucks, read the next sentence). Being that I'm a sucker for all things nitro and being that I like cheap stuff, I wanted these trucks. But I had 2 obsticles, 1 my wife and 2 I have project that isn't done yet(ok, that's really only 1 problem!). You married guys will understand this dilemma.
It didn't take long to figure out how to get past this problem though. Since it's near Christmas and knowing my wife, I simply posed the idea to her that I want to build a truck for our son as a present. And it was going to be cheap!
BINGO! My wife is happy I am doing something special for our son, my son will be getting a nice truck and I get to build another r/c. It's like a marrital tri-fecta!

Today while working on the truck I thought to myself, "self, why don't you post a build thread and share this with your RCNT family?" So I grabbed the camera took a few shots to show where I'm at. Now here's the thread!

To get you caught up completely, here's the pics of what they looked like when I got them.

truck1.JPG

truck2.JPG

I started with the truck in the second pic. The engine was loose and few things were obviously missing, so a quick hour or so and it's a pile of parts. On to the second truck. It seems mostly complete so it's the one I am going to use for the build. Again, a quick disassembly and then on to a bunch of cleaning.

Keep in mind, I want to stay as cheap as possible so if it's not broke I didn't fix it. I started with the rear diff/suspension assembly. I found one axle carrier broken and the other heavily scratched so I swapped them for ones out of the donor truck that are in a lot nicer condidtion. Just 1 of the lower arms was scratched fairly deep so I replaced it too from the donor pile. Out 4 diffs, 3 were good, 1 stripped. Everything checked/cleaned and now the rear assembly is done.

Next it's on to the front assembly. Everything looks good, diff is good shocks are good and all the parts look to be in nice shape. Assembled and done.

The next thing I looked at were the bumpers. All of them were scratched up but not broken. Since I want to stay on the cheap, I decided to go with the blacked out look and took them to the bead blaster. No more chrome. Here's pic of the assmblies and the bumpers, what do you guys think about the black bumpers?

bumpers.JPG

The next item to be worked on is assembling the parts on the main chassis. I picked up some aluminum braces for a different project but decided to put them on this truck. Of course mounting them requires the trans too so next i checked out the 2 trannys. One still has reverse the other has the FOC. For the coolness factor from my son's view point, I chose to use the one with reverse. He'll probably need it too since his driving isn't too well honed yet. That's where I'm at now, so consider yourselves caught up!

mainchassis..JPG

For the next update, tune in tomorrow. Same Maxx time, same Maxx channel! :hehe:

Freakin awesome man i want to try and do the same but with a buggy. I need to find something cheap not because of an old lady I'm just strait broke lol

Nice build can't wait to see more

Today's Update

The word for today is Problems!

Today I started screwing the front and rear assemblies to the main chassis. It's looking good and I'm thinking this is great, I'm actually going to get a complete truck without having to buy a bunch of new parts. No sooner had the thought left my mind when BAM! Houston we have a problem.
Somehow during the cleaning and checking I missed seeing a broken screw in the bottom of one of the front bulkheads. I remove broken screws all the time at work so I figure it will be no big deal. I remove the offending bulkhead and start looking it over again and realize it's worse than I thought. Not only a broken screw but there are several cracks that I missed seeing too. Trash can for that part! So I pick up the matching piece from the donor truck and quickly discover it's broken too. Well poo, it's time for a trip to the lhs.
We have 2 shops in town so I head to the one I like the best. I soon find out they have no front bulks in stock. So off to shop #2. The only front bulks they have are the new gray colored ones. They appear to match and I already have some satin black paint for plastic so I go ahead and purchase them.
The paint dries quickly and in no time they're bolted in. Now I'm back to where I started. Immediately problem #2 shows up. The new bulks are not exactly the same. The hole for the bumper brace screws are a different size and my screws just fall through them. Fortunately I am at the shop and we have a large selection of screws so finding some that will work is not a problem. Problem #2 solved.
Next up for installation are the skids. As fate would have it, all of the skids are heavily damaged. I have some spring steel skids I purchased for another project and not wanting to go back to the hobby shop, I decided to go ahead and use them on this truck. So what's that old saying, when rains it pours? Well 2 more problems show while trying to install the skids. First off, all of the screws out of both trucks are too long to mount the skid to the chassis braces. This time though, I have no luck and cannot find anything in the shop to fit. The other problem I find is that they switched front bumper braces from the .15 version to 2.5/2.5R version. The steel skids are for the 2.5 and stick out past the bumper. It looks like the same braces from the rear will correct the problem but time is up for today so I will address this issue the next time I work on the truck.
I'm sorry I ddin't have my camera today so I don't have any pics. I will make sure to make up for it on the next update.

Meanwhile from earlier cleaning I found another issue to deal with. What do all of these servos have in common?

oldservos.JPG

If you said "all of the mounts are broken" then pat yourself on the back, you are correct. Can you believe all 5 servos?
Another lucky deal and this problem is covered. My boss used to be into the r/c hobby and gave me 2 new servos(throttle/brake and reverse) he still had laying around. I also have a steering servo for another parts lot I just purchased so the servo issue no more!

newservos.JPG

Well that's all for today. Next update will probably not be posted until Monday evening. Everyone have a great weekend!

Nice work so far Randy.

This is what is sooo great about the TMaxx. They've been around forever and everybody has had one at some point in time. The Maxx is hands down the best project vehicle because if you are patient you can build one for under $100. Great project Racer!

I like those black bumpers alot,
are you going to use the stock Traxxas .15 engine?

Nice work so far Randy.

This is what is sooo great about the TMaxx. They've been around forever and everybody has had one at some point in time. The Maxx is hands down the best project vehicle because if you are patient you can build one for under $100. Great project Racer!

Thanks Josh. I'm going to have more than $100 in this but there will be a lot with it. You'll see it all at the end.

I like those black bumpers alot,
are you going to use the stock Traxxas .15 engine?

Yep, both engines seem to have good compression and my son doesn't need a big engine to start with.

Glad everyone likes the bumpers. I was pleasantly surprised with how they looked after putting them on.

Monday Update

Well it was a busy day at the shop so I didn't get much done on the Maxx. I'll start with a pic of the skid plate problem.

misfit1.JPG

After some research, I found out that the front bumper braces are different on the earlier .15 Maxx which I appear to have. So using the rear set from the donor truck fixed that problem but I then realized yet another problem. There are no bulkhead braces between the bulks! This also explains the screw hole difference and quite possibly why the bulks are broken. I definately want them there, so that part will have to sit until I can hit LHS again.

Now it's time to look at the heart of the truck, the engines!

engines1.JPG

I noticed right from opening the box that the cooling heads were beat up so I have already purchased another one. I scored a brand new one from evilbay for $10.50 shipped. It just so happened that it arrived today. Nice!

newhead.JPG

Like I said at the begining, time was short so I didn't start the engine teardown today. I did however examine the pipes. One is the factory "composite" pipe the other is a ribbed pipe. Of course I want to use the ribbed pipe but I found one problem, the hole is stripped for the pressure hose fitting.

pipe1.JPG

Really, that's no problem for me. I'll make a custom unit. It's a simple job but that's where we'll pick up on the next update.

Nice Job....the Bumpers look sick....can't wait to see this project in the complete stage

Randy, on that ribbed pipe most likely the pressure fitting hole is not stripped. On pipes like the AE pipe that everyone used to use for maxxes, the pressure return line actually just pushes in to the pipe through the hole, there is no actual fitting. That pipe may be designed the same way. Push a piece of fuel line in to it, see if it fits snugly.

The bumpers look great black. I have used easy off before to strip fake chrome off plastic since I don't have access to a bead blaster, it works great too.

That engine on the right looks like it might be toast. That header has gotten bad hot.

Maybe not, that's oil and grime on the header. The back side is normal color and the engine seems to have good compression. However, the other enigine is the one I plan to use!

Nice Job....the Bumpers look sick....can't wait to see this project in the complete stage

Thanks! I gotta get my butt in gear, I only have a week until Christmas!

Randy, on that ribbed pipe most likely the pressure fitting hole is not stripped. On pipes like the AE pipe that everyone used to use for maxxes, the pressure return line actually just pushes in to the pipe through the hole, there is no actual fitting. That pipe may be designed the same way. Push a piece of fuel line in to it, see if it fits snugly.

The bumpers look great black. I have used easy off before to strip fake chrome off plastic since I don't have access to a bead blaster, it works great too.

Well that explains it! If you notice in the very first picture, that's exactly how the hose is in it. I don't like it though, I'm still going to make a custom fitting. It will only take me 20-30min to do.

No updates today, We had catastrophic machine failure today so we were busting butt to get that fixed. Afterward I was too pooped to mess with the truck.

thats a short armed maxx correct? if so and you might be interested in 2 full sets of cvds and a full set of rpm arms with spares CHEAP,pm me and we can work something out. i also have some bulkbraces and plenty of other maxx parts. i know this is for a little guy and its on the cheap just thaught i would offer to help.

looks awsome so far!

thats a short armed maxx correct? if so and you might be interested in 2 full sets of cvds and a full set of rpm arms with spares CHEAP,pm me and we can work something out. i also have some bulkbraces and plenty of other maxx parts. i know this is for a little guy and its on the cheap just thaught i would offer to help.

looks awsome so far!

Yes, it's the short armed Maxx. I appreciate the offer, but for now we're going to run what we have and see how long they last. Remember we have almost a complete second truck for spares!

Today's update. I spent most of my extra time today sledding with my son and sqeezed in 1 tank of fun in the snow with my Savage. I didn't do a lot to the truck but I did manage to get that custom fitting done and make a run to lhs for the missing bh braces on my lunch hour.

Here's the scoop on the fitting. First I grabbed some stock off the rack and went to the lathe for some quick turning.

fitting1.JPG

Then to the mill for a quick drilling the pressure hole and milling the hex.

fitting2.JPG

Next I simply sawed it off and sanded the end for a smoothe fit. Then last but not least, installed in the pipe. Done, total time 42 minutes. Darn it! Longer than I thought it would take.

fitting3.JPG

That's it for today, but there'll be more tomorrow!

Nice job on the built. Keep up updated

Thanks. Don't worry, I won't leave you hangin',this project WILL be completed. :)

Done, total time 42 minutes. Darn it! Longer than I thought it would take.

Hey now, that extra 12 minutes was the difference between a good job and a perfect job........... perfection takes time! ;)

Hey now, that extra 12 minutes was the difference between a good job and a perfect job........... perfection takes time! ;)

I like your thinking MrClean, I'm gonna go with that! :D

You didnt happen to make two of those did ya? LOL. Nice work Randy! Much better than sticking the line in the pipe.

I only made one,but for you Joe, I'll make another if you need one :thumbup:

Today I was able to put a bit more time into the truck. In fact I just came home from working on it. So on with today's update!

My main goal today was to check out and get the engine ready to mount in the truck. Right off the bat I had a nice surprise! I pulled the head to reveal an extremely clean piston/cylinder. Check it out!

engine1.JPG

That just made my day. I took off the back plate and pulled the carb. Again everything looked really clean inside so that's about as far as I went on disassembly. I cleaned all the parts/screws and prepped for reassmbly.

engine2.JPG

With that done I carefully started the assembly, using rtv for a good seal on everything. Having had previous problems with another .15 engine, no way was I not going to seal this baby up! I was careful to stay clean and neat, first with the backplate then the carb neck and header flange. On with the new cooling head, airfilter,pipe and presto! A new looking engine. This thing feels new too, lots of compression. The only thing still to do is the retaining clip and shims on the clutch bell. I didn't have them with me at the shop.

engine3.JPG

engine4.JPG

engine5.JPG

Today Iwas also able to get the new bulkhead braces installed and mount the front and rear assemblys to the main chassis. I still have an issue with the front bumper mounts, but that's all the time I had for tonight. I'll deal with that tomorrow!

chassis1.JPG

chassis2.JPG

This is lookin' GREAT Randy. That mill looks brand freakin' new inside. Nice! it's really coming together well buddy.

I actually have an AE pipe that is setup like that too. I've never seen a pipe like that where the line just sits in there like that. I was kinda like :WTF: too when I first saw it. It's not ribbed like your though.

Back