Project Atlas: a Doom works project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
It's time to start a new project, nevermind the 5 other projects that are waiting to be completed. ;)

Ever sice @Xraycer picked up the FMS Atlas 6x6, I have been suffering from rc envy. Well I finally got one of my very own, and it begs to be detailed. Not that it's not a great looking rig right out of the box, it's just that it has a lot of potential to be even better.
PSX_20220109_125531.jpg

So it arrived last night, and of course the transmitter needs AAA batteries. No, they couldn't use AA batteries like everyone else. So I will have to go pick some batteries up later. Meanwhile back to the task at hand.

Step one: Drill out exhaust stacks
I don't know why they can't mold them with open ends, but it's one of my pet peeves, nope can't have solid plugged ends. I used a small pin vise, and drilled a pilot hole to the correct depth and angle. Next I used the trusty Dremel tool to enlarge the hole to a size that at least looks reasonable. Obviously not perfect, but much better.
PSX_20220109_125346.jpg

Step Two: Battery Charge Plug Access
The battery charging plug is tricky to reach, so I've decided to see if I can access it in the tool chest in the back of the truck. First thing I did was to remove the body and tool chast so I could get to everything. I then cut a notch in the body that the charge plug cable could go through.

PSX_20220109_124854.jpg

Next, I cut a hole in the back of the tool chest and slipped the plug inside. I may have outsmarted myself with this move, now the plug is easier to access but it's pretty tight. I'm going to need an extension. :doh:

PSX_20220109_125043.jpg

That's it for the moment but lots more to come, I'm really diggin' this little guy, I see why Xraycer bought two of them. :)

And so, it begins!

I'm liking that smoke stack! I now want to do that to mine......but, I just remembered that I'm just too lazy to do small scaled details.

Well, Here I am feeling sort of stupid! :doh: After modding the back of the cab so my charge connector will be easier to reach, I had a DUH! moment. I didn't realize I couldn't reach the on/off switch without opening the cab. :wtf: So I did this nifty mod for no reason since I still have to open the cab anyway.

The interesting thing I didn't know, there is a magnet underneath the cab behind the battery tray. This means I can leave out the two screws used to hold the back of the cab in place and attach either a strip of metal or another magnet to the cab to keep it secure. At least when it's all back together you can't see the holes I cut. Will give the magnet theory a try soon. But hey, those exhaust stacks still look good! 😂

You could also solder longer wires and run the on/off switch into the truck bed box as well.
Luckily, I no longer have this problem with the cab not lifting far enough out of the way. With the stock bumper removed and replaced with a diy "bar" bumper, I can easily access the power switch and balance lead.
1113211324.jpg

Well, decided it's time to get off my butt and start working on some projects again. I thought I would start simple and do some weathering on the Atlas. Some of the subtle weathering just wont show in pics, but this is what I've got so far.

PSX_20220410_140441.jpg

It's a solid performer, just a bit noisy unless you want to drop a bundle on the Furitek system for it.
That looks good!

Here's something I've figured out about these Atlas'. While there's no denying that these things are noisy, the surprising thing is that it's actually not just due to the motor, electronics, and gears. It's due to the shape of that body cavity. It amplifies the noise.
So, I believe just filling the cavity with an interior should dampened the noise noticably.

That looks good!

Here's something I've figured out about these Atlas'. While there's no denying that these things are noisy, the surprising thing is that it's actually not just due to the motor, electronics, and gears. It's due to the shape of that body cavity. It amplifies the noise.
So, I believe just filling the cavity with an interior should dampened the noise noticably.

Might give that a try. :thumbs-up:

Thank you good sir! I really need to get more projects back under way, everything kind of stalled for a while.
Understandable. I'm over here struggling trying to find time for everything i have going on. Trying to get this Youtube going. Man thats time consuming! And dang why am i not getting notifications on threads i post in? I apologize for not getting back sooner. I need them reminders. I'm old, too much going on. lol

Ohh poop that’s cool I want one!!
Congrats and know you will do something crazy cool with it
Here is what I’ll tell you. You have the skill set and you can make poop happen it’s us old fks that say ehh but I have belief in you. Your mind and what you can do will only make you more happy at the end of the day. I don’t give myself as much credit as I should. Like minded people like you and I we get it and no one needs to understand why.
That looks good!

Wow that’s good advice. Me personally I like loud noise just because it keeps me on my feet 🦶 if it’s to quiet something is wrong just saying

Last edited:
Back