Piecing It Together. What would you do.??.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG.rc

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
So l just finished the build of my kit, a Tekno ET410.2 Truggy. l'm on a budget for the electronics, or you could say l need to spread out the costs of completing the build. Here's the list..... Hobbywing ESC and motor combo $105. ProTek servo $110. Futaba receiver and radio 3PV $150. Shorty battery 2s 6100mAh Protek $100. Pinion gear $10. Solder unit $100. l have to spread these costs out over the next 2 months. l think l'll buy the ESC motor combo and the servo next week. Then finish it off come the new year.

What components would you buy first and last.?? Would it help me to get the Radio first.?? Could l be learning the radio adjustments, end points and expo and such while waitng for a month to go bye.?? Once again, what would your plan of attack be.??

Do you plan on racing or just back yard driving? Those are all pretty good equipment, but many are not really necessary. Especially if you are just starting out. For example, you could get a $65 servo that would work just as good for you. A $50 battery will work, unless you're going straight into modified racing, but with the $105 ESC/Motor combo, I'm guessing your sticking to stock racing. Anyhow, it all depends on what your end game is.

So l just finished the build of my kit, a Tekno ET410.2 Truggy. l'm on a budget for the electronics, or you could say l need to spread out the costs of completing the build. Here's the list..... Hobbywing ESC and motor combo $105. ProTek servo $110. Futaba receiver and radio 3PV $150. Shorty battery 2s 6100mAh Protek $100. Pinion gear $10. Solder unit $100. l have to spread these costs out over the next 2 months. l think l'll buy the ESC motor combo and the servo next week. Then finish it off come the new year.

What components would you buy first and last.?? Would it help me to get the Radio first.?? Could l be learning the radio adjustments, end points and expo and such while waitng for a month to go bye.?? Once again, what would your plan of attack be.??
I'd say get the radio, ESC, motor, and servo first, as you said, so you can at least spend a day or two messing with the adjustments, and getting the hang of them. Of course, this will only work if you already have a LiPo pack with the same connector as the ESC. Also, order the rest of the stuff in a order that will have parts arriving every, say, 10 days or so, this way you won't be waiting like a month with no parts, and then get 4 parts in 2 days! I just finished converting my Wltoys 144001 to brushless a few days ago, and the last 3 parts (ESC/motor, motor mount, motor/mount screws) came all in the same day, after waiting like 2+weeks!

1st is solder iron
no need to spend that much on a 2 cell. along w servo.
theres no learning curve with radio. its more like a tweaking sesion.makeing sure turning radius is same r n l

If I had a top shelf kit like that I would put top shelf electronics in it. Putty a hobbywing system in there is a bit like puttin a Hyundi engine in a Porche but thats just me. Id buy the radio and servo first and then the electronics combo.

I'm with Greywolf and (I think) one other on this thread recommending first buy of a radio system. E.G., radio, receiver and servo. If radio systems still come with the 4xAA battery holder, you can install the servo, power it up, and do a rolling set up on the steering. For me. that's the first step in putting together a new RC package. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

If I had a top shelf kit like that I would put top shelf electronics in it. Putty a hobbywing system in there is a bit like puttin a Hyundi engine in a Porche but thats just me. Id buy the radio and servo first and then the electronics combo.
I always thought HW was a good mid-end brand...now I'm told it's not good?!
1st is solder iron
no need to spend that much on a 2 cell. along w servo.
theres no learning curve with radio. its more like a tweaking sesion.makeing sure turning radius is same r n l
I think think he might be going for a race truggy? The other electric choices don't really match up with that theory, in that case you'd be right, a $100 2s for bashing would be a bit much IMO (but I use cheap LiPos so take that as you will!). I was saying that al least OP could get the servo EPA and stuff set at least, which should keep him busy for an hour or two (including setting the toe and camber)?

You don't want to set suspension adjustments like toe and camber until the truck is completely ready to run, all electronics and battery on board. If you set it now, then add all that stuff, the suspension sag will nullify your initial settings.

You don't want to set suspension adjustments like toe and camber until the truck is completely ready to run, all electronics and battery on board. If you set it now, then add all that stuff, the suspension sag will nullify your initial settings.
Right, I forgot about the battery but meant to say that with the motor...you're right, always set your suspension stuff when the car is correctly weighted! Likewise, I recently redid my camber after converting my Wltoys 144001 to brushless, because it's now ~140g lighter. Also don't forget to have the car at the right ride height before tuning your suspension!

In the racing scene, HW XR10 series is one of the most popular ESC's used. This also includes the pro level. I have both a Tekin and HW in my buggies and there is no difference in performance. I have been using both for over a year and a half, and they both work great without any issue. I have had an HW EZ-Run esc that went out on me, but that was a $30 brushed esc.

I always thought HW was a good mid-end brand...now I'm told it's not good?!
I didnt say they werent any good. I just said they arent top shelf. Hobbywing is ok. There 1/10 scale stuff can be a good value for someone on a budget but their 1/8 scale and larger stuff is almost as expensive as Castle so if someone was in that market then just spend a few more bucks and get Castle.

In the racing scene, HW XR10 series is one of the most popular ESC's used. This also includes the pro level. I have both a Tekin and HW in my buggies and there is no difference in performance. I have been using both for over a year and a half, and they both work great without any issue. I have had an HW EZ-Run esc that went out on me, but that was a $30 brushed esc.
The XR10 Pro has gained a lot of popularity in certain racing circles but afaik that is the only ESC they have thats gained that kind of traction in the pro racing scene. Its a good ESC dont get me wrong but Id rather have a Tekin, Castle, Mclan, Orion, Trinity, Muchmore, or Reedy setup.

This is all of course just my opinion.

Great replies.!! Thans everyone. So l've been in the hobby for months. have 2 RC's..... A Rustler 4x4 VXL/TSM and an Arrma Typhon 3s. My work days are behind me so l have the time to run once and sometimes twice a day. l think I've missed 3 days since early March. This Tekno Truggy is a dream come true to this lower intermediate parking lot racer. l'm not rich and normally l'm not very patient with purchases like this. But, l decided that l wanted to build this one with some good stuff. And that includes stuff that looks great too. Like the ProTek 160T servo. l'm convnced that Hobbywing is some good stuff yet not crazy expensive. l like getting run times between 12 and 15 minutes. l love speed and l hate spinouts. So l've learned the skills to enter a turn and exit a turn. All tires are great on the straightaways but it takes skill to round a corner.

l've changed up the radio going to a Sanwa. The Futaba programming is sophisticated and the Sanwa isn't. Less money too. Save $40. ls this a good move.??

l'm really lost when it comes to the batteries. Shorty packs. I wish l could run Traxxas batteries in everything.!! Spetrum batteries suck. I recently got a 3s 5300mAh gensacearespammers. Not impressed but I need a few more runs to really know. The ProTek is 6100mAh so I figure it would give me the run times I'm hoping for. Help me out on this. What is not a good shorty pack but a GREAT shorty pack.?? l'm all ears.

l have points and coupons and Amain has product on sale. They might end before l order early next week. There's a chance that l mght order the whole package next week. l'II have to count my pennies. wink.!!

There are 2 outdoor tracks being built within an hour from where I live. Headed towards winter so neither wll be available for a while. l want to race but this truggy is mostly a recreational RC to me. l occasionally run with others on the lots and we chase each other around which is a blast. l would love to be good enough to race on the dirt tracks that are so popular but man, the skill level is way up high. l hate bashing. lt makes no sense to me. l need to learn how to jump and how to maneuver the cornering on these beautiful tracks that l see on youtube. How much time does it take to learn how to race.?? Wide open question l know. l'm guessing at least an entire summer but then again, the guys around here don't have a track to race on so l guess we would all be learning together. lt just looks like a whole lotta skill to me. l could go on but l'll end it here for now.

What are your thoughts on the Sanwa radio and shorty packs.??

Attachments

• 20211122_135101.jpg
    20211122_135101.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211002_162104.jpg
    20211002_162104.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210918_114211.jpg
    20210918_114211.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211122_134928.jpg
    20211122_134928.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 42
Personally, I think the move to a lower priced Sanwa is the right move for what you say you do with RC. I wanted to recommend that earlier but held back for fear you would think what I was recommending was not good enough. Looking at the Amain listing of Sanwa's, you considering the MX-6? I have an MX-V I've only begun using since getting my RC street rod up and running. Futaba 4PLS is in my inventory, but way more radio than I need now and perhaps ever needed. I'm a simple guy and all the settings on the Fut overwhelmed me. For whatever that's worth.

Two of my three RCs run 2s shorty packs. They're G-A too. I consider them a good battery. Not great so will hold back recommending any brand there. Caveat, I have transitioned to ProTek 2s x 4600 LiPo HV Graphene shorty's. They are a bit lighter and slightly smaller than the 2s LiPo's they are replacing and have a bit more voltage. 7.4v vice 7.2v.

Backed away from the racing scene myself early this fall. Bashing and street running now. It has given me a feeling of freedom and flexibility in RC I had lost somewhere along 20+ years in this hobby. It's a great feeling to just throw down a RC and run where and when I want without rules, points or schedules to worry over.

Looks like you have a good start with a variety of RC. Hang in there, keep asking questions and you'll settle into a groove that suits your style. Cheers and Good Luck. 'AC'

Nce reply AC. Yes. l'm going with the MX-6 Sanwa radio. l think Futaba is good stuff but it says right in the description of the 3PV that it is sophisticated. I'm a simple guy too. BTW don't hold back on me and my questions. Your recommendations will be taken properly. I'm here to learn. Cheers buddy....

Sanwa and Futaba both make great radios. I have a Sanwa MT-4S which is discontinued now but it was one of their middle tier offerings and its really more radio than I even need for most of my rigs.

As for shorty packs. Id look at the battery tests that have been done and find one of the better brands thats been tested that makes a shorty pack and go with them.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/comparing-lipos.130493/

I didnt say they werent any good. I just said they arent top shelf. Hobbywing is ok. There 1/10 scale stuff can be a good value for someone on a budget but their 1/8 scale and larger stuff is almost as expensive as Castle so if someone was in that market then just spend a few more bucks and get Castle.

The XR10 Pro has gained a lot of popularity in certain racing circles but afaik that is the only ESC they have thats gained that kind of traction in the pro racing scene. Its a good ESC dont get me wrong but Id rather have a Tekin, Castle, Mclan, Orion, Trinity, Muchmore, or Reedy setup.

This is all of course just my opinion.
Hmm, ok. I see some people still using HW electrics in bigger build too though. I guess it may come down to preference at some point!

OP here.... l ordered the Hobbywing XR8 SCT Brushless/4300v motor today along with a servo..... ProTek 160T. There's 2 big items to go into the Tekno. Still more to spend. Gotta spread it out.... l like it so far.!!

Attachments

• 20211122_135116.jpg
    20211122_135116.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 37
You're gonna love that mini truggy. The most fun drivin' 1/10 scale RC that I can't live without. :cool:
OP here.... l ordered the Hobbywing XR8 SCT Brushless/4300v motor today along with a servo..... ProTek 160T. There's 2 big items to go into the Tekno. Still more to spend. Gotta spread it out.... l like it so far.!!
What size can did you get... the 3660 or the 3652?

Last edited:
Back