Parts cleaning duratrax maximum restoration update!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An ultrasonic cleaner is amazing for small parts cleaning!
What kind do you have? The one I have automatically shuts off after a few minutes and doesn't stay on long enough to get anything done.

Man, I love watching restorations! Everything is looking so sick so far!

Off-topic, but this past weekend, we were hanging out with friends at their lake condo. The husband found this in an old barn, and had been lifeless for decades. He's been slowly and laboriously rehabbing it back to life. Finally got it running and road worthy this year. He drove it 70 miles up to the lake last week.View attachment 132096
Hell yeah man thays so sick.. nice score
Whats that never heard or tried it before??🤔🤔 got a link or video of it. Oh it send sound waves threw the water I'm guessing

Hell yeah man thays so sick.. nice score

Whats that never heard or tried it before??🤔🤔 got a link or video of it. Oh it send sound waves threw the water I'm guessing
Yeah, like an ultrasonic toothbrush. Harbor Freight has them, but the one I got there isn't the best. It does work, you just have to turn it back on every time you turn around because it only runs for a few minutes.

Yeah, like an ultrasonic toothbrush. Harbor Freight has them, but the one I got there isn't the best. It does work, you just have to turn it back on every time you turn around because it only runs for a few minutes.
I've seen ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. It's basically a bath basin.

I use a small ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning bearings once I've taken the shields off :thumbs-up:
The one I have will run for up to 30 minutes. LINK Its pretty big though. The small one I have that I use for bearings only runs for 5 or 10 minutes but thats plenty for bearings.

Last edited:
Never thought to use one of them to clean RC parts.. always used SG for 24 -48 hrs.. then SG and WD40 together. For a day and scub.. guess I'm just old school...🤣🤣🤣

Never thought to use one of them to clean RC parts.. always used SG for 24 -48 hrs.. then SG and WD40 together. For a day and scub.. guess I'm just old school...🤣🤣🤣
You can put those chemicals in the UC as well.

You can put those chemicals in the UC as well.
Just look them up.. say it's made for cleaning hardware or anything metal. Nit really used to clean plastics... I will stick to my elbow grease method. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just look them up.. say it's made for cleaning hardware or anything metal. Nit really used to clean plastics... I will stick to my elbow grease method. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
It will clean whatever you stick in it.

I love Simple Green. I always buy the gallon jug of the concentrate and dilute it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. Its my first go to for anything that needs a general purpose degreaser and maybe I'm just strange but I love the smell of SG! lol

You can totally use the UC to clean plastic parts at least for RCs. IDK maybe something real small/thin/delicate you wouldnt want to put in there but IDK why it would matter for anything RC related. That being said just wiping the plastic off with some SG is probably quicker. :)

I love Simple Green. I always buy the gallon jug of the concentrate and dilute it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. Its my first go to for anything that needs a general purpose degreaser and maybe I'm just strange but I love the smell of SG! lol

You can totally use the UC to clean plastic parts at least for RCs. IDK maybe something real small/thin/delicate you wouldnt want to put in there but IDK why it would matter for anything RC related. That being said just wiping the plastic off with some SG is probably quicker. :)
Oh I agree with love the smell of SG. And I get it in gallons as well and keep filling the little spray bottle. Another good one to use and I use on everything is totally awesome from the dollar stores.
Works on everything and anything.
Also tells you how to dilute it for certain things on back. Sorry mine got some of its self on label 🤣🤣
LOVE IT!!!!

Attachments

• 16309629094728515228100380327673.jpg
    16309629094728515228100380327673.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1630963015307326494357089293075.jpg
    1630963015307326494357089293075.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 16309630349371894150323893253989.jpg
    16309630349371894150323893253989.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 16309630577203969682786384258569.jpg
    16309630577203969682786384258569.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 16309630718513266402088513816941.jpg
    16309630718513266402088513816941.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 48
Oh I agree with love the smell of SG. And I get it in gallons as well and keep filling the little spray bottle. Another good one to use and I use on everything is totally awesome from the dollar stores.
Works on everything and anything.
Also tells you how to dilute it for certain things on back. Sorry mine got some of its self on label 🤣🤣
LOVE IT!!!!
Never seen that one before. Ill have to check it out :)

Never seen that one before. Ill have to check it out :)
Omg really oh 100% you have to get this stuff. I use it on everything. It's fantastic. Smells a little bit like oranges.. SO GOOD

So a update to the clean of parts. So after I washed the plastics. They looked very dull and blah. And had some white spots on them. So after a week of wet sanding and buffing And polishing this is what they look like so here's a before and after the week
Before the wash
20210828_133634.jpg

After the wash
20210905_214911.jpg

And now after the detailing

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/wfu9q7EJtXY7

Dont forget the WD40 bath. That plastic is probably old and brittle :)
Well it sat in SG for 2 days. Then SG and WD40 for 1 day. Then just WD40 in a Ziplock bag laying flat for a 2days Then dumped into a container for a day to allow the excess to collect at bottom. Then dried. That's when I saw white spots. And then I decided to wetsand them. Then I had to buff and polish.. come on buddy not my first rodeo👍👍🤣🤣🤣 WD40 is you friend with these plastics..always put plastics in WD40. Even new ones get a bath in WD40 for atleast 24hrs👍👍👍👍
It didn't take all week to just wetsand and polish. I'm not that lazy😉😉🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well it sat in SG for 2 days. Then SG and WD40 for 1 day. Then just WD40 in a Ziplock bag laying flat for a 2days Then dumped into a container for a day to allow the excess to collect at bottom. Then dried. That's when I saw white spots. And then I decided to wetsand them. Then I had to buff and polish.. come on buddy not my first rodeo👍👍🤣🤣🤣 WD40 is you friend with these plastics..always put plastics in WD40. Even new ones get a bath in WD40 for atleast 24hrs👍👍👍👍
It didn't take all week to just wetsand and polish. I'm not that lazy😉😉🤣🤣🤣🤣
The white spots were probably lime scale from water. I wonder if you could have tried Works toilet bowl cleaner on them. It has to be safe for plastics because I think it comes in a bottle made of similar plastic 🤔

The white spots were probably lime scale from water. I wonder if you could have tried Works toilet bowl cleaner on them. It has to be safe for plastics because I think it comes in a bottle made of similar plastic 🤔
Hmmm I wonder. I thought it had something to do with the water. Or all the crap on the plastics. You can see the spots in the second pic on blue rag zoom in you'll see it on the hubs arms tranns. Wasn't on all of them but most of them... I was so upset. Lime or calcium it was hard as a rock.. had to scrap sand and used little baby files. To get it off.. very aggravating I will tell you.. hasn't happened before so I don't know. Oh well they look good now

Hmmm I wonder. I thought it had something to do with the water. Or all the crap on the plastics. You can see the spots in the second pic on blue rag zoom in you'll see it on the hubs arms tranns. Wasn't on all of them but most of them... I was so upset. Lime or calcium it was hard as a rock.. had to scrap sand and used little baby files. To get it off.. very aggravating I will tell you.. hasn't happened before so I don't know. Oh well they look good now
Yeah, I bet ya money the Lime-A-way would have done the job, and very quickly.

And I said Works. No, not that crap. Lime-A-way gel is what I meant. This stuff remives lime and calcium in seconds. LOL- just noticed the bottle actually says this. Damn straight it does! And I bet it would have gotten those rust stains off too 😉
9f29df08-4bb3-4b45-ad6b-3757a7e7ac12_1.0bbb6fe16c71d7b265ef6e6d510dc5df.png

Back