Parts cleaning duratrax maximum restoration update!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STONER RC

BUILD it, SEND it, BASH it, FIX it, REPEAT
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
  6. Boating
UPDATE ON THE DURATRAX MAXIMUM MT RESTORATION
PARTS CLEANING

This was one of the worst kept RCs I've seen. With sheet rock screws and finish nails as hinge pins. 🤦🏻‍♂️
So I stripped it down to bare chassis every screw and plastic piece..IN ORIGINALPOST.. Then put all plastis in a container with simple green. And soaked for a few days. Then dumped out and then WD-40 and SG together for a day.

All the aluminum were thrown in a container with white vinegar. And sat in there for about 30 mins. The torq .16 engine was broken down into pieces as well.. then cleaned with simple green. The shocks were also stripped down oil dumped and bodies cleaned.

To my surprise the engine didn't look to bad. Will rebuild it see if it fires.. ordered a bunch of parts for it as extra parts.. So this is were I'm at now. Almost ready to rebuild..this is how it's looking so far.

20210902_191222.jpg
20210904_120406.jpg
View attachment 132066
20210904_120425.jpg
Once the aluminum was taken out. The aluminum will most like turn black or discolored. At that time used dremel. To buff out the aluminum parts to bring back it's shine
20210904_115031.jpg
20210905_211635.jpg

Then took all screws put them in white vinegar for about 15mins. Then put them in a container with . BLASTER DRY LUBE. Then with demel wire wheeled every screw.
20210905_211613.jpg

Broke down shock drain oil out cleaned bodies. And the interior with a q-tip..
20210903_233933.jpg

20210905_210315.jpg

The bearing in SG then blown out with air compressor. Then put into dry LUBE to soak. Then taken out and cleaned with microfiber cloth
20210903_183507.jpg

Tha
20210905_222151.jpg

After breaking it down. And freeing
up the crankshaft with heat gun. Then the engine was cleaned with SG and wire wheeled. And polished.
VideoCapture_20210904-211010.jpg
VideoCapture_20210904-211526.jpg
20210905_210359.jpg

Now to wait for other parts to come in and the rebuild will begin. Hope the above can help anyone. That would like to break down and clean thier own RC....

Attachments

• 20210905_210431.jpg
    20210905_210431.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210905_210417.jpg
    20210905_210417.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210905_210452.jpg
    20210905_210452.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210905_210359.jpg
    20210905_210359.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Where did you find that? At the bottom of a lake? Good work so far, looking nice.
It might as well been. Got from a guy at work.. thanks man 👍👍
Man this looks fun. I want to come help! 😉

Looking great man. More vids please!
I would do more videos for tou sir 👍👍 But I need a tripod better camera and editing tool.. not sure if you really would want to watch me. Wire wheel every screw and the aluminum with the dermel. 🤔😉 you would get board just watching it... 🤣🤣
The parts came out great, nice job..
Thanks bud 👍 few hrs a day after work then sat and sunday... But finally got them clean. I'm meticulous when it comes to a RC break down and cleaning...

Last edited:
I would do more videos for tou sir 👍👍 But I need a tripod better camera and editing tool.. not sure if you really would want to watch me. Wire wheel every screw and the aluminum with the dermel. 🤔😉 you would get board just watching it... 🤣🤣

You would be surprized what I don't get bored watching. I really enjoy watching paint dry I guess.

I keep the tv going, sometimes live streaming someone just fiddling with a project, an RC build, etc. I have tinnitus from all those years in the machine shop, and I have to have sound in the background to break up the constant ringing in my ears. All it takes to alleviate it is someone talking, music, or a movie/tv show. And even when the ringing sometimes calms down, living alone - I just hate silence.

Oh, this little tripod is pretty badass for sitting on a table, or on the ground for filming RC run vids. It will hold a phone or a gopro type cam...

ULANZI Mini Camera Tripod
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088RC2R2...abc_7G4V1GTFAH44D5E71MAK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You would be surprized what I don't get bored watching. I really enjoy watching paint dry I guess.

I keep the tv going, sometimes live streaming someone just fiddling with a project, an RC build, etc. I have tinnitus from all those years in the machine shop, and I have to have sound in the background to break up the constant ringing in my ears. All it takes to alleviate it is someone talking, music, or a movie/tv show. And even when the ringing sometimes calms down, living alone - I just hate silence.
I get it.. I also HATE silence Drives me NUTS.. music is #1 for me. Always have something playing. And I can't keep still. I always have to be tinkering or doing something.. the ringing never stops.. and the voices are always fighting with each other...

Yeah they are. The shocks are like new! Threads like this make me want to tear stuff apart 😁
Yeah well I put some time into those little bastards... here's my crazy insane meticulous trick ready............ clean with SG and a brush then a dermel and rubbing compound and then mothers aluminum polish buffed out with dremel....
20210906_082203.jpg

Did it with all the aluminum parts.. that's why no video very tedious and meticulous work. Most RCers won't go that far. With cleaning a RC the way I do it... 👍👍😜🤪😜🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂

Yeah well I put some time into those little bastards... here's my crazy insane meticulous trick ready............ clean with SG and a brush then a dermel and rubbing compound and then mothers aluminum polish buffed out with dremel.... View attachment 132095
Did it with all the aluminum parts.. that's why no video very tedious and meticulous work. Most RCers won't go that far. With cleaning a RC the way I do it... 👍👍😜🤪😜🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂
My gawd man! They are new. One helluva job bro. Yeah, I woulda watched lol.

Man, I love watching restorations! Everything is looking so sick so far!

Off-topic, but this past weekend, we were hanging out with friends at their lake condo. The husband found this in an old barn, and had been lifeless for decades. He's been slowly and laboriously rehabbing it back to life. Finally got it running and road worthy this year. He drove it 70 miles up to the lake last week.
IMG_4490.jpg

Man, I love watching restorations! Everything is looking so sick so far!

Off-topic, but this past weekend, we were hanging out with friends at their lake condo. The husband found this in an old barn, and had been lifeless for decades. He's been slowly and laboriously rehabbing it back to life. Finally got it running and road worthy this year. He drove it 70 miles up to the lake last week.View attachment 132096
Ok, we need that body in 1/10 and 1/24 scale! I love old hot rods, and I have never in my 50 years seen one of those. It looks stretched? That has to be really rare. Beautiful truck!

Yeah, but that one looks a lot longer. Longer than a typical panel truck. Or has every one I have ever seen been shortened?
This is an original Ford dairy truck, and was bone stock. I don't know the history to these vehicles, but I believe this one is a '54.

Yeah well I put some time into those little bastards... here's my crazy insane meticulous trick ready............ clean with SG and a brush then a dermel and rubbing compound and then mothers aluminum polish buffed out with dremel.... View attachment 132095
Oh great, now I have to tear mine back down and redo them.. ;)

Back