Parts cleaning duratrax maximum restoration update!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it sat in SG for 2 days. Then SG and WD40 for 1 day. Then just WD40 in a Ziplock bag laying flat for a 2days Then dumped into a container for a day to allow the excess to collect at bottom. Then dried. That's when I saw white spots. And then I decided to wetsand them. Then I had to buff and polish.. come on buddy not my first rodeo👍👍🤣🤣🤣 WD40 is you friend with these plastics..always put plastics in WD40. Even new ones get a bath in WD40 for atleast 24hrs👍👍👍👍
It didn't take all week to just wetsand and polish. I'm not that lazy😉😉🤣🤣🤣🤣
I was high...Whaddya want from me?! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I've actually never tried the WD40 on plastics thing. I just keep hearing you guys talk about how good it works. Guess Ill have to try one day :)

I've actually never tried the WD40 on plastics thing. I just keep hearing you guys talk about how good it works. Guess Ill have to try one day :)
WD40's Australian's site actually has a write up about freshening up plastics that have aged and turned dry and brittle. That and car dealers have been using WD40 for years to make the plastics under the hood look like new. I have used it on my RC's since I got into RC.

I don't do the whole soak thing, but I take the tires off and give the plastics a good spray, then wipe it down. If you get it on your tires too much they will really soften and swell up anywhere the WD40 sits on them for a long time. But I have actually softened up hard tires with it. It is a wonder what all WD40 can be used for 😉

Yeah, I bet ya money the Lime-A-way would have done the job, and very quickly.

And I said Works. No, not that crap. Lime-A-way gel is what I meant. This stuff remives lime and calcium in seconds. LOL- just noticed the bottle actually says this. Damn straight it does! And I bet it would have gotten those rust stains off too 😉
View attachment 132419
Well guess add something else to the cleaning products. Thanks for the tip. Never would have thought.. I didn't think of it 🤣🤣🤣 oh well I didn't mind I really love the hobby so wrenching is a very relaxing therapeutic step for me 👍👍
🌬💨💨💨💨💨

Speaking of WD-40, for you guys with SCX24, painting a layer of WD-40 onto the tires and letting it completely dry, will produce much improved gripage with the stock tires.

Speaking of WD-40, for you guys with SCX24, painting a layer of WD-40 onto the tires and letting it completely dry, will produce much improved gripage with the stock tires.
Oh really well that's interesting. Guess it adds a tackyness to them?🤔👍

Man, I love watching restorations! Everything is looking so sick so far!

Off-topic, but this past weekend, we were hanging out with friends at their lake condo. The husband found this in an old barn, and had been lifeless for decades. He's been slowly and laboriously rehabbing it back to life. Finally got it running and road worthy this year. He drove it 70 miles up to the lake last week.View attachment 132096
Not sure how I missed this post but man, this has crawler written all over it.
Great looking van.

OMG I'm DIEING.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🌬💨💨💨💨💨💨💨💨💨😜🤪😝 everyday all day 👍👍👍 I love it your awesome

I'm sold by the WD40 trick. If nothing else, for peace of mind.. ;)

Not sure how I missed this post but man, this has crawler written all over it.
Great looking van.
I came up with this idea, and drew it up on Paintbrush. He's seriously thinking about covering the entire roof with it. His wife is a spitfire, drives a Jeep, and loves the Punisher skull!
Screenshot_2021-09-12-11-12-41.png

I came up with this idea, and drew it up on Paintbrush. He's seriously thinking about covering the entire roof with it. His wife is a spitfire, drives a Jeep, and loves the Punisher skull!
View attachment 132421
Hell yeah thats AWESOME!!! man.. looks so good 😍😍😍
Could make the shells red and white to make the strips. Instead of all black. Just a idea👍👍 either way I love that look.. awesome man

UPDATE ON THE DURATRAX MAXIMUM MT RESTORATION
PARTS CLEANING

This was one of the worst kept RCs I've seen. With sheet rock screws and finish nails as hinge pins. 🤦🏻‍♂️
So I stripped it down to bare chassis every screw and plastic piece..IN ORIGINALPOST.. Then put all plastis in a container with simple green. And soaked for a few days. Then dumped out and then WD-40 and SG together for a day.

All the aluminum were thrown in a container with white vinegar. And sat in there for about 30 mins. The torq .16 engine was broken down into pieces as well.. then cleaned with simple green. The shocks were also stripped down oil dumped and bodies cleaned.

To my surprise the engine didn't look to bad. Will rebuild it see if it fires.. ordered a bunch of parts for it as extra parts.. So this is were I'm at now. Almost ready to rebuild..this is how it's looking so far.

View attachment 132070View attachment 132067View attachment 132066
View attachment 132069Once the aluminum was taken out. The aluminum will most like turn black or discolored. At that time used dremel. To buff out the aluminum parts to bring back it's shine
View attachment 132071View attachment 132073
Then took all screws put them in white vinegar for about 15mins. Then put them in a container with . BLASTER DRY LUBE. Then with demel wire wheeled every screw.
View attachment 132075
Broke down shock drain oil out cleaned bodies. And the interior with a q-tip..View attachment 132076
View attachment 132077
The bearing in SG then blown out with air compressor. Then put into dry LUBE to soak. Then taken out and cleaned with microfiber cloth
View attachment 132078
ThaView attachment 132080
After breaking it down. And freeing
up the crankshaft with heat gun. Then the engine was cleaned with SG and wire wheeled. And polished.View attachment 132081View attachment 132082View attachment 132083
Now to wait for other parts to come in and the rebuild will begin. Hope the above can help anyone. That would like to break down and clean thier own RC....
Bro, that's beautiful to see, one day I also want to do that to my GX-15, but I'm still not confident about it. But a good job👍👍👍😉

Bro, that's beautiful to see, one day I also want to do that to my GX-15, but I'm still not confident about it. But a good job👍👍👍😉
What would you like to do bud.. break down your rc and give it a complete cleaning? It's really not hard at all bud. I mean it just a bunch of screws and plastic parts...

O que você gostaria de fazer bud .. quebrar seu rc e dar uma limpeza completa? Não é nem um pouco difícil, cara. Quero dizer, apenas um monte de parafusos e peças de plástico ...
StonerRC honestly I've seen my brother open his engine to clean it, and i also didn't find it difficult, just tiny parts, but it's no problem, the problem is i never did it, and doing the first time for me is very sly, I like to see everything in detail. I don't know if it's a defect or a temper, but I'm a so.honestly I've seen my brother open his engine to clean it, and i also didn't find it difficult, just tiny parts, but it's no problem, the problem is i never did it, and doing the first time for me is very sly, I like to see everything in detail. I don't know if it's a flaw or a thing, but that's who I am. 👍👍

StonerRC honestly I've seen my brother open his engine to clean it, and i also didn't find it difficult, just tiny parts, but it's no problem, the problem is i never did it, and doing the first time for me is very sly, I like to see everything in detail. I don't know if it's a defect or a temper, but I'm a so.honestly I've seen my brother open his engine to clean it, and i also didn't find it difficult, just tiny parts, but it's no problem, the problem is i never did it, and doing the first time for me is very sly, I like to see everything in detail. I don't know if it's a flaw or a thing, but that's who I am. 👍👍
Well I understand that completely. But if you don't try. You will never learn to or know how to.. you should get a "exploded view" of whatever RC you have. That will help make your first tare down alot easier for you bud.. got to try you can't fail unless you try bid. I'm sure you could do it...

Well I understand that completely. But if you don't try. You will never learn to or know how to.. you should get a "exploded view" of whatever RC you have. That will help make your first tare down alot easier for you bud.. got to try you can't fail unless you try bid. I'm sure you could do it...
This weekend I'm going to disassemble my GX-15 piece by piece, my brother will be by my side to supervise me 😅😅

Back