Ofna Monster Blazer 1/8 rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetroKevin

Bashing is a way of life!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Finally getting around to tearing into that ofna nitro I acquired.

Engine turned but felt really gummed up. I'm now stuck. I don't know how to remove the last few pieces.
20210826_161441.jpg

20210826_161459.jpg

I'm also debating just getting a new engine. But funds are a little tight atm.

The flywheel is likely just stuck on. You should be able to whack the back of it a few times to pop it loose. Then the crank may be stuck to the bearings. You can hammer on it a little bit with a wooden hammer handle or brass hammer to pop it out. Hammer handles are usually made out of hard/dense wood, so they can take a bit of beating without damaging the metal stuff your hitting.

The flywheel is likely just stuck on. You should be able to whack the back of it a few times to pop it loose. Then the crank may be stuck to the bearings. You can hammer on it a little bit with a wooden hammer handle or brass hammer to pop it out. Hammer handles are usually made out of hard/dense wood, so they can take a bit of beating without damaging the metal stuff your hitting.
Thanks, I didn't want to just start hitting stuff. I'll give it a go. 👍🏼

Thanks, I didn't want to just start hitting stuff. I'll give it a go. 👍🏼

You can try heating it, then whacking at it. Throw it in a toaster oven up to 250-275F for 10 minutes to heat soak it, then whack at it. Just make sure to hold it with an oven mitt or something.

I had to cook a few in a toaster oven like that to get the bearings out. Heat it, then you would hold the crank case firmly and smack it down on a 2x4 flat on it's back, then the inside bearing would pop right out. To get the front one out, I'd heat it, then use a wooden dowel inside the motor on the back of the bearing, then whack it. Just be ready for a hot bearing to go flying!

You also could really soak it in WD40.. over night then if you have a vice throw it in there and turn the flywheel.. or put flywheel in vice not to tight but tight.. then Turn the engine as you will have better leverage..the heating method is a good way to free it up.. but will be very hot to touch..

Not an experienced nitro mechanic but being a regular mechanic, and having seen a few bits on here, the flywheel might need a bit of persuasion (a bearing puller will work or a bit of heat to it then a smack from behind keeping it square to the crank shaft). Other than that I’d suggest just getting a manual for that engine (I’ve got the SH18 and torq 21(3.5) manuals if you need either of them buddy.

Last edited:
For the flywheel, Id invest in a cheap battery terminal puller. They work pretty well as a flywheel puller too. Or just buy a flywheel puller.

https://www.team-eds.com/product-p/eds-190016.htm

https://smile.amazon.com/OTUAYAUTO-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Didn’t see this reply, or I wouldn’t have added my two pence regarding a puller haha but a normal small bearing puller will work if RetroKevin has one, I do but only as I’ve got one in my work toolkit

For the flywheel, Id invest in a cheap battery terminal puller. They work pretty well as a flywheel puller too. Or just buy a flywheel puller.

https://www.team-eds.com/product-p/eds-190016.htm

https://smile.amazon.com/OTUAYAUTO-...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I probably have one of those around here somewhere. I tried heat last night like @olds97_lss recommended. And it's been soaking in WD-40 like @StonerRC365 recommended. It's a nice rainy day here today so I'll have all day to mess around with it. Thanks guys

I probably have one of those around here somewhere. I tried heat last night like @olds97_lss recommended. And it's been soaking in WD-40 like @StonerRC365 recommended. It's a nice rainy day here today so I'll have all day to mess around with it. Thanks guys
Oh man I wish it was raining here. It's swamp as* hot and humid in jersey 🥵🥵.. going to tare into the maximum tonight..break it down.. ordered a bunch of parts for it... so I have extra parts just in case.. since there's not much out there for it. Since it was discontinued.

Had to take a break from RCs for a bit. Got some personal issues I'm dealing with.

I was able to get the flywheel off the engine. A mix of sitting in WD-40 for a few days and some more heat.

20210901_160319.jpg

Everything was pretty gummed up and stuck. I got everything torn down and ready to be de-rusted and cleaned up.

Had to take a break from RCs for a bit. Got some personal issues I'm dealing with.

I was able to get the flywheel off the engine. A mix of sitting in WD-40 for a few days and some more heat.

View attachment 131912
Everything was pretty gummed up and stuck. I got everything torn down and ready to be de-rusted and cleaned up.
Hey man sorry to hear that hope all is ok.. it looking good bud 👍👍just did the same to a old duratrax maximum mt. I'm doing a restoration on..

Hey man sorry to hear that hope all is ok.. it looking good bud 👍👍just did the same to a old duratrax maximum mt. I'm doing a restoration on..
Do you have a thread about it? I'd like to see the progress if you do.

And without getting into full details, I may not be a "professional driver" for much longer. I injured my back awhile ago on the job, and work comp has been an even bigger pain to deal with. Running low on funds, which is one of the reasons I've had to step away from RCs (I just love spending money on them). I'm looking at taking a decent pay cut to be closer to home and something less taxing on my body. Which has been a big thing for me to deal with emotionally as well...

Do you have a thread about it? I'd like to see the progress if you do.

And without getting into full details, I may not be a "professional driver" for much longer. I injured my back awhile ago on the job, and work comp has been an even bigger pain to deal with. Running low on funds, which is one of the reasons I've had to step away from RCs (I just love spending money on them). I'm looking at taking a decent pay cut to be closer to home and something less taxing on my body. Which has been a big thing for me to deal with emotionally as well...
Dam man I'm sorry to hear that.. its a huge pain to deal with workers comp..and $$ always adds even more problems and headaches and to make a life change like that is very emotional.. we are here for you bud.. it will work out I'm sure they always seem to do in the end..I do hit the thread banner in my banner. Should bring you rite there only pics. So far

Sorry to hear that bro. Do what you gotta do though, we totally understand. This hobby is stupid expensive.

@StonerRC365 @Greywolf74
Thanks guys, your support really does mean a lot. It's been some trying times the last week or so here. I really enjoy this community and the laughs we've shared. But I may be a bit radio silent until I get 💩 sorted out.

I'm gonna try and just pick away at this build and not worry about what it'll cost until later.

@StonerRC365 @Greywolf74
Thanks guys, your support really does mean a lot. It's been some trying times the last week or so here. I really enjoy this community and the laughs we've shared. But I may be a bit radio silent until I get 💩 sorted out.

I'm gonna try and just pick away at this build and not worry about what it'll cost until later.
Hey if you need anything man send me a PM. I got your back bud no worries.. let the rebuild destress you. And just enjoy the wrenching👍👍

@StonerRC365 @Greywolf74

You can always just pop in for some quick abuse if you need it! :p 🤣