NO SCX24 talk. Ill scream! Share your tales of long ago.

• Thread starter Maximum_Quake_Pro.com
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximum_Quake_Pro.com

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
I'm just pissed off because my brother bought one. Then his son one then all sorts of upgrades then We built a course and I'm just not the guy for that scale. I get pissed working on smaller 10th scale buggies and stadium trucks because I'm a Giant and my hands hurt after a few days solid on those.

Now you know my 8th scale obsession started with my first project rebuild of 8th trucks because I CAN WORK ON THEM without chasing tiny hex screws and nuts i drop often because of the tight spaces and The Green Giant Trying to Start threads of a 3mm locknut.

What is your gripe of the hobby?

Hex head hardware counter sunk metric flat head like on underside of losi xxxnts and such that lil timmy rebuilt to sell to me , clueless there is SAE and Metric and stripped every damn one on the underside of the truck!.

After 3 years of running AD xxxnts.

I went back to my roots with GTs and enjoying my philips head hardware

I've spent years of my life cutting slots and drilling out stripped hex poop on Losi gas trucks i got second hand as a child.

War stories.
Duratrax Nitro models from the maximums to the Thunder Quake use all standard philips hardware other than for shock mounting and motor mounts etc.

I can rip Down a quake to nothing in 30 mins

I can assemble an axis in 40 mins from every part laid out to completed minus electronics and sorted engine stuff.

No, you wont see them qualifying a main.

But ill be bashing out back for years and without getting the Dremel, cut off wheels, or ez outs

I spent 4 hours cutting hardware out of a cen genesis and then had to find the 3 inch long metric pitch button head hex hardware and then wait on shipping..

Guess who got a Cen for xmas, lol my bro

When did you find your niche of the hobby?

Last edited:
I am just the opposite. I loathe phillips head hardware. I guess it is because of all the years machining. I never saw a phillips screw in that profession. But we also used top quality hardware from McMaster and Fastenal, with Fastenal being shite by comparison really.

My niche, since I was a youngster, has always been with mechanical things. I started running a bandsaw in my dad's small woodshop at the age of 9. Changing my own blades, adjusting the guides, etc. I cut out so many little teddy bears, rocking horse silhouettes, and other crap, I guarantee you I could out-bandsaw anybody in Indiana by the time I was 10. My dad used to show me off to his friends. "Here, watch how fast he can cut this out!".

That was about the time my dad got into RC planes. The Tower Hobby catalogs started showing up. I can remember days that I sat browsing through the catalog, planning what I was going to buy when I made enough in the shop.

In 83, I bought a Marui Big Bear. It was the coolest thing ever to see and hear those big monster truck tires peeling out in our gravel driveway. But it was short lived joy because the version 1 of that truck had a problematic and very soft spur gear. But regardless, I was hooked.

Electronics on the otherhand - I have zero patience for. I can put together any RC transmission with ease, but I'll be damned if I can solder up a working LED circuit without a picture or kindergartenishly drawn schematic to go off of.

I am just the opposite. I loathe phillips head hardware. I guess it is because of all the years machining. I never saw a phillips screw in that profession. But we also used top quality hardware from McMaster and Fastenal, with Fastenal being shite by comparison really.

My niche, since I was a youngster, has always been with mechanical things. I started running a bandsaw in my dad's small woodshop at the age of 9. Changing my own blades, adjusting the guides, etc. I cut out so many little teddy bears, rocking horse silhouettes, and other crap, I guarantee you I could out-bandsaw anybody in Indiana by the time I was 10. My dad used to show me off to his friends. "Here, watch how fast he can cut this out!".

That was about the time my dad got into RC planes. The Tower Hobby catalogs started showing up. I can remember days that I sat browsing through the catalog, planning what I was going to buy when I made enough in the shop.

In 83, I bought a Marui Big Bear. It was the coolest thing ever to see and hear those big monster truck tires peeling out in our gravel driveway. But it was short lived joy because the version 1 of that truck had a problematic and very soft spur gear. But regardless, I was hooked.

Electronics on the otherhand - I have zero patience for. I can put together any RC transmission with ease, but I'll be damned if I can solder up a working LED circuit without a picture or kindergartenishly drawn schematic to go off of.
Thanks for sharing brother.

My grandpa and great grand dad were cabinet builders / carpenters/ old trunk type chests, jewelry box makers etc.

Needless to say my transition from Shop Cabinets to Subwoofer Cabinets as young teen was my calling.

Also electrical related anything , electronics repair, automotive wiring, installation of audio, etc i got from my father naturally.

I didnt enjoy electrician wiring houses, buildings stuff.

I had my share of zaps apprenticing as a child with family.

Then i got my first car project and found my niche was auto related wiring.

Kinda suck at that too still, Jk

My dad used to always have some crazy electronic project going. I watched him soldering stuff up all the time, but like a dummy I never asked him any questions about it, and he never offered.

My dad used to always have some crazy electronic project going. I watched him soldering stuff up all the time, but like a dummy I never asked him any questions about it, and he never offered.
I got my associates in Electrical Engineering and didnt learn anything besides some math lol

I crave working on my rigs. In fact I would rather work on them than drive them.
My only gripe would be, the Kraken Vekta.5 is hellaspendy. :(

I have never liked wrenching on my rigs, until I got my SCX24's (sorry but it's true) I think it's because there are just so many options, and they are a little more budget friendly to experiment with.

I'll go ahead and plug my ears now so you can scream. 😆

My gripe of the hobby is hands-down E-clips. I hate those little suckers and in my opinion are the worst thing in RC. If one gets launched off somewhere when you're trying to put it on don't even bother looking for it. It's probably halfway across the country and you'll never find it. I can't tell you how many of them I've lost or the hours of frustration they've caused me 😆 But yeah besides that RC is the perfect hobby and every single person on this planet should get a chance to try it out