No Clue Where to Start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I didn't run electric really until the past 2 years. I ran nitro the past 20 years, but I was excited when they came out with a 1600mah NiMH 2/3A pack vs the 1100mah. :)
i just remember reading in the magazines XD, i started with electric with a HPI WK when they first came out, me and my brother both got them same day lol. he wanted it to go fast i slowly made mine a crawler. (think the only thing we had on them break was the spurs, didnt know much about RC's and went with a smaller pinion, not realizing the motor was hitting the mount so wasn't meshing right. he stayed electric and got a rustler next, i went with a T-Maxx then went nitro.

Hi Guys,

I haven't been able to get into your responses for a few days. I will read through them and try to respond as quickly as possible. Thanks again for the welcoming support!

Not sure you can easily get parts yet for the wheelie king...

Do you really care if it's a "monster truck" or just a truck that can take abuse and is rebuildable and has parts support?
Precisely! This is the only "concern" I have with the Wheely King. It looks like replacement or upgrade parts can be hard to find as it falls into a "less common" 1/12 scale. Again, my assessment could be completely wrong as I still have no idea what I'm doing. I do know that I plan to be somewhat "hard on it" so broken parts are to be expected.

Precisely! This is the only "concern" I have with the Wheely King. It looks like replacement or upgrade parts can be hard to find as it falls into a "less common" 1/12 scale. Again, my assessment could be completely wrong as I still have no idea what I'm doing. I do know that I plan to be somewhat "hard on it" so broken parts are to be expected.
Hobby town, a-main, and rcplanet do seem to have quite a few replacement parts in stock. Do also keep in mind 90% of the parts are the same as the crawler king, just the crawler king has a stretched wheelbase and spun 180 chassis.
With the weight of these they are actually kind of hard to break bashing. With standard brushed it handles a 12T 8.4v quite well ( you would need a different esc though) 2000kv+ brushless though, I can't say.
Its kind of inherent with the true solid axle monster trucks to not be as strong as the IFS counterparts.

Ok Guys,

Again, really appreciate the input! Here's where I'm at....

After some research based on your input, I am looking for something RTR at a fairly cheap (ballpark $200ish) price tag. I'd like to beat the crap out of it and upgrade parts as I break them. Initially I assumed that everything RTR was comprised of all proprietary, model specific parts so once it breaks, you can only replace it with "OEM" stuff. I didn't realize there was a 3rd party market of accessories and upgrade parts that would work (again - new guy - sorry bout' that).

Assuming the hobby sticks (no reason to believe it won't), I'd probably hand it off to my son once he grows out of the "toy" RC stuff. At that point, I'd obviously need to get myself another vehicle so we can run them together (at which point I'd be willing to spend a little more). Definitely leaning towards electric for the first one. Something that comes stock with LiPo or could be upgraded to LiPo (based on what I'm reading about battery life).

Would prefer something that looks enough like a Monster Truck to convince a 3-year old (big tires & truck body; that's about it) but I'm not overly hung up on it (some of the "buggys" I've seen would serve the purpose). Monster trucks get his attention and HOLD it; no small task when dealing with young kids. It may seem silly, but I'd like to establish some sort of "Dad-Son" hobby as early as possible. My dad and I did the model railroad thing for 15ish years; great times with dad; very fond memories. Also, I think that a truck or buggy would match what I'm looking to do initially...

95% of use will be off-road. I've mapped out a wooded area in my backyard where I could assemble a "reasonably decent" RC Truck course. I already have piles of sand, rock and gravel in a clearing from a driveway and landscaping overhaul a couple years ago. May as well put them to use. I've seen a few other guys in the neighborhood ripping other RC trucks up and down the street so I'm guessing it would get plenty of attention. Jumps. Collisions. Tumbles. Broken parts.

Not sure if that narrows or widens the field of possibilities. Looking forward to your input!

Hobby town, a-main, and rcplanet do seem to have quite a few replacement parts in stock. Do also keep in mind 90% of the parts are the same as the crawler king, just the crawler king has a stretched wheelbase and spun 180 chassis.
With the weight of these they are actually kind of hard to break bashing. With standard brushed it handles a 12T 8.4v quite well ( you would need a different esc though) 2000kv+ brushless though, I can't say.
Its kind of inherent with the true solid axle monster trucks to not be as strong as the IFS counterparts.
Thanks! Just posted an update. Let me know if you think the WK is still the way to go after reading through it (if you don't mind). Have a good one!

honestly id recomend this : https://www.horizonhobby.com/ARAD60...hL_j-MDhroVxAf88j6HdXhrheYkKp5XYaAgKKEALw_wcB
would be a good first truck to learn with my woman is loving hers and it is her first, I'm planning on getting a BLX one, and/Or turning hers brushless, then for when you get a second can get the BLX version of it:
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/7054394075918350733_12557974184048656839_359171?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-vqiqlmovzs&gtim=CN_948q40sjW-QEQr6--vIaUnKiSARjw0cqYASIDVVNEKIDktOUFMIP2FQ&utm_campaign=359171&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7YblBRDFARIsAKkK-dIhTtPsL4bCeJtWn_ITbpg29wwArbFoqs_CpI1sb8WLz-wJn2RS428aAjGsEALw_wcB
or
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...98lC0kbD7CM1bdYa_QVOpfB6dP80rzMQaAgZiEALw_wcB
so it will be faster but mostly the same truck for parts compatibility.
i dont know if that will fall in the ball park of "monster truck" though.
IMO 2wd is fun and typically cheaper, but 4wd is a lot funner to learn on and run around.
also if anything on these break, (they will eventually) you can typically get aftermarket parts, id suggest RPM then if there isnt an RPM brand part go for either stock or Aluminum replacement.

i still do recomend the wheely king/crawler king, but mine wasn't a "basher" very long or with a very hot (fast) motor. it is alot of fun though, and I'm glad i started with it. id check out some videos of both of them and see what direction you want to go.
i recomend to always check YT for reviews of any RC you are looking at and see if the shortcomings are something you want to go at.
all of RCs will have a shortcoming, its just picking what one you are more willing to deal with.

[Edit - I was trying to quote @D3MON above, and failed.. lol]

This is a pretty good truck, so long as you stick to nimh. On lipo, the esc and motor will overheat pretty quick.

I have had my granite mega 4x4 for a bit over a year. Only lasted 2 or three packs brushed, as I wanted to run lipo. I started to convert it to brushless, before the BLX was released. Found out the mega driveline can't really handle brushless, so started modding to make it work. Now, the BLX parts are available, so upgrades are easy. Currently I run a brushless combo similar to the BLX, and it is a little fireball, and very tough.

My build thread. Long, and goes off topic some. Some good running vids on the last page or two.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/jerry-riggeds-granite-mega-4x4.6226/

This is a pretty good truck, so long as you stick to nimh. On lipo, the esc and motor will overheat pretty quick.

I have had my granite mega 4x4 for a bit over a year. Only lasted 2 or three packs brushed, as I wanted to run lipo. I started to convert it to brushless, before the BLX was released. Found out the mega driveline can't really handle brushless, so started modding to make it work. Now, the BLX parts are available, so upgrades are easy. Currently I run a brushless combo similar to the BLX, and it is a little fireball, and very tough.

My build thread. Long, and goes off topic some. Some good running vids on the last page or two.
soon as we got our granite first thing i did was looking at mods and read through your build thread! great info and insight in there! thanks for creating that btw!

If you want to stick with $200, then the lower end granite is a good place to start. But, if you think it's going to stick, spending $300 may be a better option and getting the brushless version. Built a bit better, decent run times on 2S:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-granite-4x4-blx-monster-truck-rtr--orange-black-p-ara102666

Then later you can go crazy and throw 3S in it for silly speeds. The "brushed" $200 version will cost you more than the $100 extra just to get it to what the BLX version is, so $300 now is a more long term cost effective start.

Or, your son runs it on 2S, you run it on 3S or get a second one you run on 3S.

Just suggesting you pony up a bit more to start as I've pinched pennies at times I really wish I didn't, then regretted it and it cost me more later.

I've been reading that a second battery is something I'll want to have on hand right away. Any recommendations on a solid nimh pack for the Granite?

If you want to stick with $200, then the lower end granite is a good place to start. But, if you think it's going to stick, spending $300 may be a better option and getting the brushless version. Built a bit better, decent run times on 2S:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-granite-4x4-blx-monster-truck-rtr--orange-black-p-ara102666

Then later you can go crazy and throw 3S in it for silly speeds. The "brushed" $200 version will cost you more than the $100 extra just to get it to what the BLX version is, so $300 now is a more long term cost effective start.

Just suggesting you pony up a bit more to start as I've pinched pennies at times I really wish I didn't, then regretted it and it cost me more later.

I may end up going that route. Still deciding. I was going to read through the conversion thread tonight when I get home and go from there.

I've been reading that a second battery is something I'll want to have on hand right away. Any recommendations on a solid nimh pack for the Granite?
i got a Venom 3000Mah 8.4v hump pack for our granite, right around 10-14 minutes depending on driving.
https://www.amazon.com/Venom-3000mAh-Battery-Universal-Traxxas/dp/B0047B6A20
is also this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VIXN9Q/ref=psdc_2234134011_t3_B0047B6A20
given that the 3000 mah started getting the motor warm, you would probably have to pause in the middle of the 5000 battery to let the components cool down.

I say spend the extra $100 and get the brushless version instead. The brushed model is pretty pointless, especially considering how long the stock electronics will last.

My personal opinion if a truck comes in brushed or brushless 90% of the time you are better off starting with the brushless model to begin with. Most of the time it costs more to upgrade the brushed truck to brushless specs than it costs to start with the brushless model to begin with. Redcat/Exceed/HSP are the exception to this rule as you can buy a brushless motor combo for less than the difference between the brushed and brushless models and that is the only thing that is different between the 2.

As luck would have it, I just won my fantasy hockey league (literally.... Tampa's goalie had a really bad week so the other guy's stats went down in flames and sealed the league win for me)....

Anyway, that increases my budget enough to pull the trigger on the brushless version. I really appreciate all of the help and input. Wide open to suggestions on what to get for a 2nd battery and/or charger.

Thanks again!

A friend of mine has a Losi Tenacity Truggy he'd be willing to sell for $225. He says it only has 2 battery packs through it. Looks to be in like-new condition. My kid's first reaction was that "it looks like Max-D" so we're still in good shape on the "looks like a monster truck" end of things...

What do you guys think? Should I jump on it or would I be happier w/ the Granite BLX?

edit (again):
includes lectron pro 5200 lipo battery, charger, remote, manuals, etc. (everything but the box it came in; manuals are still sealed in the bag)

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a Losi Tenacity he'd be willing to sell for $225. He says it only has 2 battery packs through it and it looks to be in like-new condition. My kid's first reaction was that "it looks like Max-D" so we're still in good shape on the "looks like a monster truck" end of things...

What do you guys think? Should I jump on it or would I be happier w/ the Granite BLX?

edit:
includes 5200 mah battery, charger & radio (everything but the box it came in; manuals are still sealed in the bag)
the only bad thing i hear about those is the motors get hot and likely to burn up, so a new motor/esc may be in its future if you do go this route.
i was watching a review and it looked to be pretty durable, i would look into replacement part availability as well, i dont think that MT is still being sold by losi, but the Short course, and truggy variants are still being sold, so id look over that to see parts compatibility to make sure they are the same. (wheels/tires, body, and gear sizes will be different) but the major components that would break may be compatible.
i personally really want one though i have to say.

the only bad thing i hear about those is the motors get hot and likely to burn up, so a new motor/esc may be in its future if you do go this route.
i was watching a review and it looked to be pretty durable, i would look into replacement part availability as well, i dont think that MT is still being sold by losi, but the Short course, and truggy variants are still being sold, so id look over that to see parts compatibility to make sure they are the same. (wheels/tires, body, and gear sizes will be different) but the major components that would break may be compatible.
i personally really want one though i have to say.
Sorry, I re-edited. It is the Truggy version. He has only run it twice on the 5200 lipo. Link below...

https://www.horizonhobby.com/LOS030...MIk7Kwrqey4QIVUtbACh13hQgbEAQYASABEgLqz_D_BwE

I know it is not an RC monster truck but it seems like it would take anything I am going to do to it (at least at first)....

Is $225 a decent price for one of these in like-new condition?

Back