No Clue Where to Start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck110

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum (and the RC world in general). I've always been interested but never had a good enough excuse....

Well, I have a 3 year-old son that is OBSESSED with monster trucks (I may have helped with that). I got him a cheap RC Gravedigger for Xmas. The base boards in my house hate it but he LOVES it. That said, here's my question....

How would you recommend I get started in "real" RC monster trucks? I'd like to have a couple years of experience before he starts building his own (with my help). I have ZERO experience but I pick things up fairly quickly.

I don't think I want something "ready to run". I'd rather get some sort of "kit" and put it together myself. I'd prefer not to drop too much $$ on my first go-round. What does everybody recommend in terms of best-value starter kit?

Thanks in advance!

first welcome to RCT!!!!
as far as a kit, i dont know really what the options are, kits are kind of rare these days, and typically cost more than an RTR because they upgrade some of the parts past was RTR versions include.
as far as "realistic" trucks, few options off the top of my head, first would be the HPI "wheely king" i personally have owned this truck and has been alot of fun, dropped a 3300kv Brushless system (brushed is stock and is quite tame compared to the brushless counterpart, i advise looking into brushed/brushless differences) and it was quite insane has locked diffs too so could have added to that. in factory for it comes with a 27t (higher turns slower the motor but more torque) which is pretty mild, but nonetheless had a great time with it (was my first hobby grade RC, and still have it).
the other is one that is pretty similar but i have no idea the availability which would be the axial SMT10 wich is a grave digger that was made to be scale looking. i have no experience with it at all though. it looks fun though.

there are some others but basically its buying a kit and replacing half of it with aftermarket parts that ends up costing 3x what the kit was. typically the Tamiya Clodbuster.
hope that helps, there are probably more out there, but those are the main ones.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into the HPI. It isn't so much the "kit" (though I do enjoy putting things together). I am more looking for something that is made to be taken apart, upgraded (or repaired) and put back together.

I appreciate your response and will definitely start my research. Still wide open to any other advice people have to offer. One that comes to mind is "what is the first thing I should be looking to upgrade if I get something RTR?"

The cheapest kits that I know of are the LC Racing kits, but they are minis 1/14 scale. And a start at a tad under $200 for the base kit. The kits are only available for the buggies and truggy, the others are available as ARR or RTR.
This guy sells kits almost ready to runs and ready to runs. The nice thing about this guy is he also does bundles for the kits, so when you click on one of the kits on the one side of the page it has a pull down menu, your options are kit only, stock, mod 1, mod 2, mod 3 and PRO. I went with the PRO truggy kit it included everything but radio system, lipo battery charger and paint.

pretty much any hobby grade is designed to be taken apart and put back together, typically with upgrades. first thing id do is get longer links for the WK (Wheely King), if you go very much longer you will also need longer driveshafts. on mine i modified a driveshaft off another model (traxxas T-Maxx) because i had it on hand, but i think the HPI plastic slider shafts work off the HPI Savage. tires are good for looks, but come without foams and are quite firm. though there are so many tire options out there and the WK has 2.2 rims stock.
another option but i can't wholeheartedly advise it as the reputation with Redcat, is the Redcat Groundpounder.
almost no matter what option of hobby grade Rc you pick there will be some upgrades for it. whether it be motor/esc/servo (pretty well interchangable by scale class I.E. 1/10, 1/8 etc. to drivetrain, to wheels/tires, to suspension, and chassis.

i will say after running any rig a few times, (make sure to check readily available screws for snugness) is to take it apart and understand the larger working mechanisms of the truck, they are really simple so dont be scared of it, manuals on line everywhere and take pictures as you go or video it if you think that may help more.

Wow guys!

I really wasn't expecting much in terms of replies tonight! Thanks so much for the input. Trying to track everything on my phone right now (I'm just old enough for that to be inconvenient). I'll be on my computer all day tomorrow so I'll be able to get into all of your suggestions.

I really do appreciate the input. When I googled "RC Monster Truck", it seemed like I had 2 choices. Toys and "beyond me".

In response to an earlier post, you are correct... I am not looking for a toy (but I am looking to have fun! )

I won't be able to respond for the rest of this evening, but feel free to keep the info coming! Again, thanks so much for the input!

Have a good one!

Sorry please forgive me I completely missed the part in your post about wanting a real rc monster truck. And now that I saw that just ignore my posts.

I would listen to @D3MON. As I think the Wheely king is about what you are looking for.

You have a pretty good idea where to start. You just need to figure out a few things first such as budget and whether you want gas, nitro or electric power.

Here is a link to Horizon Hobby's monster truck page: https://www.horizonhobby.com/category/cars-and-trucks/cars-and-trucks-14524--1/monster-trucks

Most of the monster trucks out there are ready to run or RTR and include the radio and all electronics needed to run the truck. With a kit, you'll have to buy things such as the radio, power system, receiver (RX) battery (if running gas or nitro), Wheels, tires and servos. My advice is to go ahead and get an RTR truck and then run it until it breaks. When it does, then buy upgraded parts and wrench on it.

The Axial SMT-10 Grave Digger is a very awesome kit. I had the Max-D and it was super easy to work on and very durable. Bonus the scale look is quite nice and it’s also 4x4. Plus it’s a bit slow out of the box, and leaves plenty of options for upgrades down the road. Shares parts with many other axial kits. It’s not a “kit build” but you can build a shaft driven solid axle monster truck from scratch very easily. Tons of chassis out there.

C4C5D027-0E8B-4662-9E83-10EF866B8417.jpeg

Not sure you can easily get parts yet for the wheelie king...

Do you really care if it's a "monster truck" or just a truck that can take abuse and is rebuildable and has parts support?

Do you really care if it's a "monster truck" or just a truck that can take abuse and is rebuildable and has parts support?
This^^^

If you can find hobby shop local to you, go ask about a EXC AMP. The AMP is a lower cost version of the ECX 2wd MT, and it has a RTR kit option - that it, you get to build it, but it comes with all Electronics needed. ECX is not available for mail order, though, you can only get them in a LHS.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-amp-mt-2wd-monster-truck-kit-p-ecx03034

This still kind of irks me.
i understand where they are coming from and what they are trying to do and i appreciate what the goal is, but for those that bought one then they changed, causes problems. luckily i have a nearby LHS that has good people running it, but those that don't it makes it an unnecessary hassle.

i understand where they are coming from and what they are trying to do and i appreciate what the goal is, but for those that bought one then they changed, causes problems. luckily i have a nearby LHS that has good people running it, but those that don't it makes it an unnecessary hassle.
My lhs is very meh. Most of the time I get the uh we're out, but we can have one here by next Thursday, I'll put you down for one and give you a call when it comes in 2-3 weeks go by and no phone call..........................

You can still get ECX parts on line, just not the kits.

No. I didn't run electric really until the past 2 years. I ran nitro the past 20 years, but I was excited when they came out with a 1600mah NiMH 2/3A pack vs the 1100mah. :)