NiMH to LiPo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WideOpen

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
So, from what I read it sounds like LiPo is the way to go over NiMH, and it also sounds like LiPo is the best option - true? If so, do I need to switch out the motor also? What about any other components? Is this an expensive deal?

Lipo is definitely the way to go but highly recommend you read up on them.
It all depends on what motor and esc you have. Is it brushed or brushless? You can read the specs on your rig and it will tell you what you can use.

I think he is referring to the Associated car he showed the other day. You can run a brushed motor on LiPo, but the ESC needs to be able to handle a LiPo. And based on how old that car is, I am not sure it does.

It was suggested you go brushless with it. For around $110 you could go with a Hobbywing XR10 Justock G3 motor/esc combo with a 10.5T motor. For batteries on the cheap you could try these. I have never tried Goldbat brand before, so maybe someone else can chime in.

What kinda price range do you want to stay within? @Greywolf74 probably has a few other idears from mild to wild.

Last edited:
Brushless/Lipo is definitely the way to go. And lipo batteries are very sensitive. And brushless has tons of tourqe. Find "GRAYWOLF74" thread on lipo battery info. Good info read about lipo batteries. Also got to find out if that car drivetrain/esc can handle the power. Or just get new a castle or hobbywing combo. And it comes down to how much $$$ you want to spend

You can run a lipo on any esc that can handle its voltage is about 1/2 a volt on 2 cell compared to 6 cell nimh . so you can add a few teeth to pinion gear ,, and you dont need to have a lvc on your esc you can add a 4$ lipo buzzer pluged into the balance plug when runnin.. you will need a lipo and a lipo charger id also get a lipo bag to charge in and readup on proper lipo care and storage.
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

https://thehomewoodworker.com/best-lipo-bag-for-fireproof-lithium-ion-battery-charging/#:~:text=A lipo bag is a safety device used,a protective fireproof bag during charging and storage.

Last edited:
I think he is referring to the Associated car he showed the other day. You can run a brushed motor on LiPo, but the ESC needs to be able to handle a LiPo. And based on how old that car is, I am not sure it does.

It was suggested you go brushless with it. For around $110 you could go with a Hobbywing XR10 Justock G3 motor/esc combo with a 10.5T motor. For batteries on the cheap you could try these. I have never tried Goldbat brand before, so maybe someone else can chime in.

What kinda price range do you want to stay within? @Greywolf74 probably has a few other idears from mild to wild.
Goldblat looks ok. I havent actually used them yet but I bought one for the lipo testing I'm gonna do and the build quality looks as good as any of the other budget lipos.

If the OP wants to state his budget and the kit, Id be happy to make a recommendation but yours is a good budget recommendation.

I am asking this about the car I mentioned the other day; and, additionally considering to switch over that Horizon boat that we recently bought. I don’t really have a budget in mind - 110$ for each is not a problem.

Fixed the link for you 😉

I have 2 of those alarms. Had them on a couple chinese buggies I tossed LiPo's in. They worked fine for one run, but the second time we took them out one of them started throwing an alarm a couple minutes in. After checking a few packs, on every one of them it showed one cell alarming out at 0V. Not sure what happened to it, but a 50% dependability rate isn't very good. Ever had one do this?

So how do I know if an ESC can handle LiPo’s?

So how do I know if an ESC can handle LiPo’s?
As TNT said, I guess if it is 2s it should be fine. Some ESC's have a jumper you swap from LiPo to NiMh, or settings in the firmware. I have 2s esc's that have this setting in the firmware, so not sure why it is needed if you can run either LiPo or NiMh on any 2s esc. Not much of an electronics guru. I just read the instructions lol. It would help if we knew what esc and motor you have. Couldn't tell in the last thread, unless you shared that info there since I last looked?

Last edited:
Fixed the link for you 😉

I have 2 of those alarms. Had them on a couple chinese buggies I tossed LiPo's in. They worked fine for one run, but the second time we took them out one of them started throwing an alarm a couple minutes in. After checking a few packs, on every one of them it showed one cell alarming out at 0V. Not sure what happened to it, but a 50% dependability rate isn't very good. Ever had one do this?
I have various LV lipo alarms including some just like those and I've not experienced that issue with them.

As TNT said, I guess if it is 2s it should be fine. Some ESC's have a jumper you swap from LiPo to NiMh, or settings in the firmware. I have 2s esc's that have this setting in the firmware, so not sure why it is needed if you can run either LiPo or NiMh on any 2s esc. Not much of an electronics guru. I just read the instructions lol. It would help if we knew what esc and motor you have. Couldn't tell in the last thread, unless you shared that info there since I last looked?
The LiPo jumper or internal setting is mostly so the ESC will utilize a low voltage cut off for the lipo making sure you dont damage it.

You look online at that esc see what is voltage maximums are ..if it will take a 6 cell pack in Nixx then a 2 cell will work ....

Fixed the link for you 😉

I've had 5 or 6 of them and about half of them work right most of the time. I went through them all on the same pack to see how they read compared to a multi-meter and threw away the ones that were way off. I had one in my truck a few times, but they didn't put up with all the banging around a truck does. Both of them had the displays fail so I could only see half the digits. I had them securely strapped down and velcro'd to my chassis, so they weren't flopping around and banging into stuff, but they still died after a pack or two.

Your likely better off just getting an esc that has the ability to go to LVC for you for lipo's.

I've had 5 or 6 of them and about half of them work right most of the time. I went through them all on the same pack to see how they read compared to a multi-meter and threw away the ones that were way off. I had one in my truck a few times, but they didn't put up with all the banging around a truck does. Both of them had the displays fail so I could only see half the digits. I had them securely strapped down and velcro'd to my chassis, so they weren't flopping around and banging into stuff, but they still died after a pack or two.

Your likely better off just getting an esc that has the ability to go to LVC for you for lipo's.
Yeah, mine are always strapped down too. And I agree, better to just get proper electronics. The only reason I haven't is because these cars were just cheap ones I bought when my boy first started in RC. He still runs them occasionally, but mostly he runs the Granite. He just likes the monster trucks lol.

Yeah, mine are always strapped down too. And I agree, better to just get proper electronics. The only reason I haven't is because these cars were just cheap ones I bought when my boy first started in RC. He still runs them occasionally, but mostly he runs the Granite. He just likes the monster trucks lol.
Must have somethin' to do with em being in kits. I've used a handful of mine but generally in my hobbyroom when I'm testing something and so far without any issues. I have found they do vary a bit from each other but I dont think I've seen a significant amount. Then again the dozen or so i own were all bought from the same vendor like 12 years ago so maybe its just a good batch? idk.

ok....my head hurts. I really thought I was becoming an RC guru, but I now realize I am still but a pimple on an RC'er's hinny.

Well, I mean - I don't really know what my budget is but I doubt I want to put more in to it than what a new one would be...do I?
What I have been reading on LiPo's is kinda scary

Well, I mean - I don't really know what my budget is but I doubt I want to put more in to it than what a new one would be...do I?
What I have been reading on LiPo's is kinda scary
Don't be scared of LiPo batteries. It's like being scared of box of matches sitting in your cupboard. As long as you know how to charge and store them, no biggie. I have a lot of LiPos and have had for years and never once had a problem. There are plenty if vids on LiPo charging and storage.

Back