Will a NIMH or a 2S lipo hurt a Spektrum 2050kv motor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke66

Hardcore RCTalk User
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
i bought a spektrum 2050kv motor (you will soon know what it is for) I'm running it on a nimh Rn ( i know I'm crazy) but the spektrum site says you should only use 3-6s on it. will NIMH or a 2S lipo hurt it?
i just want to protect my investment....

Nimh and 2s lipo will be very under powered for it.
So no you shouldn't ruin anything.
But here is the thing, can that esc run on that low of a voltage?
Don't forget you can run batteries in a series to make it higher voltage.
Don't ask me, wait to do it until a more knowledgeable person chimes in 😉🤣

The motor is designed for 3S-6s LiPo voltages which translates to 11.1V-25.2V. A 2S lipo wont be able to power it properly, nor will a NiMH. If you want to attempt using a NiMH just make sure its between 11-25V but it will drain it so fast youll blink and miss it and if you keep doing it you'll likely damage the NiMH. Wont hurt the motor though as long as the voltage is within tolerances.

Last edited:
Nimh and 2s lipo will be very under powered for it.
So no you shouldn't ruin anything.
But here is the thing, can that esc run on that low of a voltage?
Don't forget you can run batteries in a series to make it higher voltage.
Don't ask me, wait to do it until a more knowledgeable person chimes in 😉🤣
the esc can run that low, its a 60a 🤣
The motor is designed for 3S-6s LiPo voltages which translates to 11.1V-25.2V. A 2S lipo wont be able to power it properly, nor will a NiMH. If you want to attempting using a NiMH just make sure its between 11-25V but it will drain it so fast youll blink and miss it and if you keep doing it you'll likely damage the NiMH. Wont hurt the motor though as long as the voltage is within tolerances.
honestly, most of that just blew by me....

honestly, most of that just blew by me....
The long and the short of it is, the motor was designed to run on 3, 4, 5, or 6S LiPos only. It will not operate properly on voltages lower than 11.1 (3S LiPo) and you risk damaging the motor if you run it on voltages over 25.2V (6S LiPo).

NiMHs are not designed to handle high amp draws like the kind produced by brushless motors, especially bigger ones like the Spektrum 2050Kv. You can use it but the NiMH will drain super quickly, like probably wont last 3 minutes if that, and you run the risk of damaging it because its going to get super hot since its not designed to output that level of amperage.

Is that any clearer?

Last edited:
Back