newbie battery questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy Wolf

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Okay so I'm looking at getting some lipos for my cars and trucks

So do "deans" work with t connectors?
Anybody ever heard of rc gear shop?
Which is better for off road dirt/dust racing; more power or more runtime?
And the noobish question of all: should I buy 3-4 nimhs or 2 lipos

Sorry if there allready is a post like this or if the questions are really stupid

I would get the LiPos, personally.
I'm not sure what a T-connector is, do you have a picture?
As far as power is concerned, are talking voltage? Depending on which rig that I'm running, I run either 2s (7.4v) or 3s (11.1v). I tend to run as high a capacity pack as will fit in the rig.

Yes, Dean's is a T connector. And Duratrax Star plugs are perfectly compatible with Deans. And for sure get lipo and a compatible charger.

Well thanks both of you for answering my questions in two comments. (I thought it would be more difficult)

I do still have one question but let me rephrase it...... so if I get a "higher quality" battery what are the advantages over a "lower quality" one?
Are Venom, Duratrax, and rc gear shop good brands?

I use Venom branded batteries and have had very good results with them.

Pretty much any brand name battery is good. Traxxas, Venom, Tenergy, gensacearespammers, etc. I would avoid anything like Wang Dong or whatever. :confused:

so stay away from General Tso's batteries? :p
And @Rolex's wax...

Seriously though, try and stick to name-brand batteries as has been mentioned. I've used Max Amps, Venom. Flight Power and Traxxas branded packs with no complaints.

And Venom batteries have a great warranty. It's only a year, but they rarely question it.

Yes. I used 2s flight power packs in my RC18s for quite a while.. You just have to take care not puncture them since they don't have the hard case...

Really, the cell quantity (2s,3s,4s...) depends on the rig you have and the esc your using.

Like a brushless revo is capable of running 4S, 5S or 6S, but it is built so you buy 2 2S packs or 2 3S (or 1 2S and 1 3S for 5S voltage) packs and put one on each side, then run a series connector to the esc. Depending on which route you go, it will also dictate the capacity (MAH). If you run dual 2S packs, you can run much higher MAH packs (more run time) than 3S (more speed) due to the size limitation of the battery trays. MAH adds thickness to the pack. Cells also add thickness. Some 3S 5000mah packs will fit in a revo and some 2S 8000+mah packs will fit in the revo. Depends on the pack and if it has a hard case or not.

The S on a lipo denotes how many cells are inside the pack and that they are wired in series vs parallel.

Lol! Don't forget the sanity factor... How stupid fast you want your rig to be and how much abuse you are willing to dish out to it! (and how much you want to repair and upgrade when things detonate) Just because they fit doesn't mean that's how you want to run!

I suppose just so it's said for newbie racers... Tracks as well as class regulations limit the number of cells you can run also.

As long as the C rating is high enough.
Yeah, that C rating adds another level of thing you have to care about. I don't recall NiMH cells making a big deal about that.

#S or #P- how the pack is wired (S-Series, P-Parrallel) and how many cells in the pack
C - how many amps that can be continuously pulled out of the cells safely
MAH - capacity

Is there another for charge current?

It is usually listed as another C rating.

Traxxas 5000mAh 11.1V 3C 25C LiPo with Auto Battery iD TRA2872X
Configuration: 3S1P
Continuous Discharge: 25C (125A)
Max Burst Rate: 50C (250A)
Watt Hours: 55.5
Charge Rate: 1C (5A)
Max Charge Rate: 2C (10A)
Dimensions: 6.1 x 0.98 x 1.8" (155 x 25 x 45mm)
Weight: 12.3oz (350g)

Back