New to me AE pro4 sc10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What brands are the pills, by the way? I’d be glad to have some adjustment possibilities but the regular AE pills for my B74.2 don’t fit the arm mounts and they are for 3.5 mm hinge pins anyway.
Not sure on the brand, only marking on them is .5

Measured the sway bars, they are 2.0mm, and slightly black on the ends, i think the PO might have just removed the paint.

Ran another couple pack through last night, removed rear sway bar which helped the tail happy nature a lot, very driveable now as long as I'm carefull with my throttle on corner entry/exit. Also lifts the inside front tire on throttle through longer corners, not sure if thats a benefit haha, but it looks neat!

Also printed some 12-14mm hex spacers so i could mount the stock tires from my senton on it. I like the more aggressive tires compared to the blockades, mainly because my track has a lot of short grass on it right now.

Lifting the inside front wheel in corners is exactly what the real stadium super trucks do so it’s ”scale” and neat, but definitely not something you want from a racing point of view.

I’m in the process of setting up mine so I guess we’re in the same boat, of course we’re different drivers on different tracks so our setups are unlikely to be the same, but some setup choices may carry over.

My mod of today was to increase the camber link lengths front and back. I retained the stock mounting holes at the tower (inside high in the rear, inside high in the front) and used the outer holes at the hubs. I’ll take the truck out tomorrow to see if it had any effect I could notice.

What brands are the pills, by the way? I’d be glad to have some adjustment possibilities but the regular AE pills for my B74.2 don’t fit the arm mounts and they are for 3.5 mm hinge pins anyway.
From what i can gather, these pills are the same as a associated rc10/b6.
I've ordered some to see if they fit.

Also, went through a few more packs making suspension/steering chages.
Changed the rear to the anti-squat setup, also change the akerman setting to the less aggressive position. Both of these changes i liked, i think I'm going to keep these like this and move on to other settings.
I'm going to put the rear sway bar back on with the squat and akerman updates and try it out. Also going to try the longer camber links and see how that feels.
Mostly I'm realizing that i just need to work on my throttle control, I've never really spent this much time just running laps over and over, I'm realizing that if i really concentrate on throttle control on corner exit and gentle steering input into and through the corner, the truck drives pretty precise given the terrain.
This truck is quite quick and easy to do most of these changes on, which makes it pretty fun to mess with, setting wise.

Sounds like you’re making progress and having fun! I haven’t managed to go driving for a few days (I have a 7 mo baby to take care of) but I have held back and not touched any settings before I try out the effect of longer links. If that doesn’t work for me, adding some Ackermann angle should help. The stock setting feels pretty aggressive indeed.

Went out for a couple packs yesterday, and this thing is starting to handle great for me!
Re-installed rear sway bar.
I ended up going shortest possible camber links in the rear, and lowest inboard mounting position, i did this to introduce more camber gain, and put the static rear camber closer to 0 degree, maybe 1 degree.
Now it is way more controllable at speed, and on corner entry, but a bit more prone to traction roll, and tends to push a bit more through the corner. Overall, easier to drive consistent, but i think i can still fine tune from this point. 👍

Finally got the hinge pin pills in that i ordered. Unfortunately they do not quite fit the hing pin blocks, about .4 mm too big, and the hole is for a 3.5mm hinge pin.
I've sent an email to associated to see if they can help me find some that fit. Seems so strange to have this style of mount on the truck and not offer the pills to adjust it 🤷‍♂️.

Fried the low pro absima servo that came in the truck. Havent taken it apart yet to see whats wrong, but it started fluttering at neutral position before it really pooped the bed. Then it was responding very slowly, then stopped turning left all together.
Popped in one of the NOS powerhd units i picked up, back in buisness!

Was not running a servo saver in the truck, so that may be the issue. Not a lot of room on this truck to run a good HD saver.
*edit* just realized this truck runs a servo saver that is part of the steering rack, so i am indeed running a saver.

Also added a fair bit of camber in the front and a touch in the rear, seems to work well on my rough/bumpy track.

Last edited:
Finally got the hinge pin pills in that i ordered. Unfortunately they do not quite fit the hing pin blocks, about .4 mm too big, and the hole is for a 3.5mm hinge pin.
I've sent an email to associated to see if they can help me find some that fit. Seems so strange to have this style of mount on the truck and not offer the pills to adjust it 🤷‍♂️.
I wonder if there’s an older vehicle that uses 3 mm hinge pins and a pill adjustment system. It could be a different brand. I’d look at Losi, TLR, or Helion parts.

The truck isn’t an AE design but a rebranded Helion and not meant for racing, so I guess that’s why the support for option parts isn’t at the same level as the native racing kits or the RB10 platform.

I wonder if there’s an older vehicle that uses 3 mm hinge pins and a pill adjustment system. It could be a different brand. I’d look at Losi, TLR, or Helion parts.

The truck isn’t an AE design but a rebranded Helion and not meant for racing, so I guess that’s why the support for option parts isn’t at the same level as the native racing kits or the RB10 platform.
I emailed AE regarding the pills. They responded right away, said they’ve put the inquiry to the race teams and product guys. Hopefully they come up with something, i dont have very easy access to hobby shops that would stock that sort of stuff, so physically comparing or measuring is not possible for me.
Not that its a deal breaker for the truck, but it seems silly not to take advantage of a tuning option that is there.
On another note, i would like to upgrade the shocks on this truck to something aluminum.
Seems there are a few options out there, but dont really feel like spending almost the same $$ on shocks from proline as i have into the truck.

Could fit some losi tenacity shocks from a kit breaker, but seems like mixed reviews on the durability of those shocks.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
On another note, i would like to upgrade the shocks on this truck to something aluminum.
Seems there are a few options out there, but dont really feel like spending almost the same $$ on shocks from proline as i have into the truck.

Could fit some losi tenacity shocks from a kit breaker, but seems like mixed reviews on the durability of those shocks.

Thoughts?
I’ve looked into various shocks and would like at least 12–13 mm pistons but manufacturers are lazy to provide this kind of info. They just say ”big bore” which could mean anything.

I have bought Absima 1:8 shocks to try them out and found so far that the springs and spring caps are too large, and the 100 mm long ones would have sufficed for both the front and rear: 125 mm is unnecessarily long.

The shafts are 3.5 mm and the shock body has the same M16x1 thread as the stock shocks so I find these a promising durability upgrade with some parts swaps, for example the spring nuts. And the cost was not bad at all.

I’m not in a hurry to get this upgrade done, because I think the stock shocks are quite good already, apart from a bit of leakage around the shaft. Nothing that some X-rings wouldn’t fix.

The Tekno EB410 used 3 mm pins before they updated to 3.5 mm pins. The spare pills TKR6544 are for the older model so 3 mm pins should fit. The only question is if the external dimensions are smaller as well.

The Tekno EB410 used 3 mm pins before they updated to 3.5 mm pins. The spare pills TKR6544 are for the older model so 3 mm pins should fit. The only question is if the external dimensions are smaller as well.
From my ET410 (black inserts for 3mm hinge pins), and SCT410SL (gray inserts for 3.5mm hinge pins)...
Note: Same hinge pin inserts for EB410/.2
IMG_20230610_060808446.jpg

IMG_20230610_060932112.jpg

From my ET410 (black inserts for 3mm hinge pins)
I think this is what they call a bingo! Thanks a ton! I’ll order a set of these.

Even if the fit is too tight for a direct fit, there certainly is less material to remove.

Yeah, there needs to be source/thread solely dedicated to hinge pin (pill) dimensions. 😉 😉
I guess I should have measured the depth of the pills.
IMG_20230610_181930660.jpg

Last edited:
I just got mine and installed a couple to try them out.

Perfect fit!

I put a circular piece of foam around the center drive shaft to prevent sand ingress into the spur and pinion gears.

IMG_3653.jpeg

Also ”painted” the edges of the rear skid plate and the two covers on top of the diff housing with liquid rubber to seal it a little better.

IMG_3652.jpeg

I just ordered the tekno insert kit yesterday.

Also finally broke my first part on this truck.
A front stub axle broke

I may have to try sealing up the diffs on mine soon too. Track is starting to dry out and get dusty

Got the new axle parts in, and while they work, they are not the same as what came out. The stub axle is much longer overall, almost to the point that the threads would bottom before tightening the wheel to the hex. Interesting.
Also got some cheapo wheels/tires to try out.
If they are complete crap ill run them on the kids truck. The tires actually seem to be of decent quality. Time will tell for the wheels. I also put a set of jconcepts closed cell foams in, rather than the super soft foams that came with the set.
Love the more scale look of the tires, compared to the blockades, or my senton tires. If they work half decent ill likely pick up some proline bfg’s with better quality wheels.

IMG_2309.jpeg

IMG_2305.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

Have a few packs on the new tires, so far no problems. I did end up changing the inner hex portion of the wheels to some low offset pro-line ones i had around. The fit in the knock off wheels, and the offset fits the truck much better. I got the tekno eb48 pill inserts i ordered, so ill be testing some front kickup/rear anti squat settings.
Still having trouble with stability at higher speeds. The track is really rough, and I'm finding it hard to pinpoint if its a setup thing that can be improved, or lack of driving skill that will hopefully improve with time.
However, the pro4 overall has been a blast to rip on the track, and quite durable so far.

IMG_2332.jpeg

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2339.jpeg

IMG_2342.jpeg

Got some new wheels and rear blockades, should go with the new body I'm working on quite well.
Also 3d printed some setup wheels that i modeled, and a camber guage i found on thingiverse

IMG_2387.jpeg

Back