New Spur Gear. Metal or Plastic?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

07busawannabe

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I need to get a new spur gear for my t-maxx 3.3. Getting it tomorrow from local hobby shop. What are your views on the pros/cons of the plastic and metal spur gears.Shredding the plastic ones are an obvious con.:\

You need to properly check the gear mesh. Gears don't strip due to quality. If you must switch, try a delrin spur. Kimbrough makes decent ones.

Well, usually plastic/composite spurs hold up pretty well. They normally fry due to a hard engine hit, blown CB bearings, bad gear mesh, cracked or loose engine mount, loose engine mount bolts or too loose slipper setting causing excess heat to melt it.

Buying steel can cause other issues. Swapping out a spur is pretty easy. Swapping out trans gears, center axles or diff gears can be a bit larger of a job. The spur is your easy to fix weak link to those other parts.

I'd just try and figure out what caused your current spur to fry and fix the issue.

When you buy a spur, buy 2. ;)

If you do decide to go to metal, you will need to find an aftermarket hardened bell or you will toast your stock bell. It isn't designed to run against a hardened steel spur and it won't last very long at all. I have photo's if you need proof. Sheared all the teeth off in less than a tank! Looked like I went after it with a grinder!

You could also totally screw your transmission if you go metal. Just my opinion. Stripping the plastic's means somthing is wrong, that is y they are plastic, it is the cheapest fix for what you screw up.

Yup i go with what these other fellas are saying. Stick with plastic. Besides metal ones are a bit noisy. Now these plastic ones act like a fuse in the electical of a car. When some thing isnt right the least expensive part gets damaged , in this case the plastic gear gets stripped thus preventing the clutchbell to be damage and other internal tranny components, making it more expensive to fix.

Well, usually plastic/composite spurs hold up pretty well. They normally fry due to a hard engine hit, blown CB bearings, bad gear mesh, cracked or loose engine mount, loose engine mount bolts or too loose slipper setting causing excess heat to melt it.

Buying steel can cause other issues. Swapping out a spur is pretty easy. Swapping out trans gears, center axles or diff gears can be a bit larger of a job. The spur is your easy to fix weak link to those other parts.

I'd just try and figure out what caused your current spur to fry and fix the issue.

When you buy a spur, buy 2. ;)

If you do decide to go to metal, you will need to find an aftermarket hardened bell or you will toast your stock bell. It isn't designed to run against a hardened steel spur and it won't last very long at all. I have photo's if you need proof. Sheared all the teeth off in less than a tank! Looked like I went after it with a grinder!

i went steel spur on my 3.3 then i had to go with steel driveshafts because they started breaking and hey what do u no it looks like ima have to go with some steel gears in the tranny too now,you want a weak part somewhere and the spur is very easy to change.......soooo go buy 3 r 4 stock plastic ones and just change that out

i just got two plastic ones. thanks

Back