Rustler spur gear issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFranz

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I've been going through a lot of spur gears on my Rustler, ripping the teeth off and the screws shifting, so here's my theory. Is it possible the the slipper is getting so hot that it melts the plastic spur? One of them looks like it melted, and I noticed while I was coating the car with silicon spray after checking the slipper adjustment that it smoked it. Appreciate your thoughts, and should I just go to a metal spur?

If the slipper is too loose it can cause heat issues. I had a few pull into and chew up the tranny case.

Tighten it all the way and then back it off 1/8 or 1/4 turn. Dead stop under full power it should slip for a few feet. After that if it still skips its too lose.

I would go to 32p spur and pinion before steel. Most of my stripped spur was a combination of my driving style and a bad pinion. Standard pinions tend to sharpen and change pitch which will strip a gear. Hardened pinions last alot longer.

After I got Hardened pinions and 32p, I hardly strip gears

Make sure the slipper nut has a good bite and won't back out. Don't lubricate the slipper nut threading also.

Metal spur.
Traxxas plastic spurs are junk. I stripped about 10 of them before I switched to Hot racing steel, which I never had any issues with.
Yes a hot slipper could melt the spur too. I had this problem when I put 2.8 MT tires on mine, burnt through the trans housing, therefore i upgraded to the 272R tranny with the aluminum motor mount so its not possible anymore.
When going to a metal spur, make sure to have a harden steel pinion, not aluminum or anything else.
For the screws shifting, what screws are backing out? Are they going into metal? If so, maybe use Blue loctite/threadlocker.
When I smoked the slipper, input shaft, and trans case: 32P gears can also might be a solution like @Chubaka said.
I only run 48P right now so I can use the same pinions between my 3 cars.

I eliminate the slipper clutch on most of my brushless cars. Exotek is my go to for 2WD, Hot Racing makes a really good one for 4x4.
I also use a mix of steel, plastic, 32P, and 48P spurs with much fewer issues.

DrFranz, here is my 19/54 32P pinion/spur on my Rusty. Use a slipper eliminator to mount the spur to. It's on a speed run Rusty, so I can get away with not using a slipper.

Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

20230908_081739_forum resize.jpg

If you have a Rustler that’s going thru spur gears, something is obviously wrong and the spur gear material is not the cause.

Switching to a steel spur gear won’t fix what was wrong in the first place. Buy one if you wish but address the actual problem as well.

The spur gear could become hot because of a loose slipper or a gear mesh too tight. This is a short and easy list to check and adjust if necessary. If you can feel even the slightest amount of play between the pinion and spur gear, and it’s there in various positions of the spur gear (they are never perfectly round), it’s not too tight.

These are very helpful responses, guys, so thanks for that. I think I've worked it out with a more accurate slipper adjustment, for the various conditions I run into. For the record, I'm talking about a 4X4 VXL.

Back