Traxxas E Revo VXL 1/16 Gearing Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popsmoke

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy Yall!

I'm new to the hobby and I have a Traxxas E Revo VXL 1/16. I want to put the Pro Line 2.2 Trenchers on and I am wondering what to gear it to without burning ESC or motor. I'm not too worried about doing wheelies, but i want it to still be somewhat fast. I contacted a hobby shop who recommended to change the pinion gear to Traxxas 2419 48P, 19T. He did not say to change the spur gear, and didn't seem confident in his answer for that recommendation in the pinon gear.

Is this the right pinion gear to use with the stock spur gear?

or do y'all recommend something else.

Thanks in advance y'all!

-Jeff

What batteries are you going to be running, 2s or 3s Lipo voltage?

Welcome to RCT!
There are RC gear calculators you can use that will allow you to change your tire size and see what your final drive ratio is. Like this one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sodialed.gearcalculator

With that, you can plug in the stock specs and see what the final drive ratio is stock, then input your new tire diameter and change your gear ratio til you get back to the same final drive ratio.

Just know that while you may get your RC running the same as it was before the changes, the added diameter of the tires and lower gear ratio of the gearset is going to change where you are seeing the most load on your drivetrain... meaning the weak point before the changes may be in the gearset, but the larger tires may move the weak point to the driveshafts or axles.

Last edited:
Howdy Yall!

I'm new to the hobby and I have a Traxxas E Revo VXL 1/16. I want to put the Pro Line 2.2 Trenchers on and I am wondering what to gear it to without burning ESC or motor. I'm not too worried about doing wheelies, but i want it to still be somewhat fast. I contacted a hobby shop who recommended to change the pinion gear to Traxxas 2419 48P, 19T. He did not say to change the spur gear, and didn't seem confident in his answer for that recommendation in the pinon gear.

Is this the right pinion gear to use with the stock spur gear?

or do y'all recommend something else.

Thanks in advance y'all!

-Jeff

Just make sure you keep an eye on motor and ESC temps and if it starts to overheat then go down a couple teeth on the pinion and try again. Once it's not over heating anymore, then you know you're good.

Lipo 2S 2200 7.4
You shouldn't have any issues running a 19t pinion. I run 18/50 on 3s with the Trenchers.
to me the 2.2 trenchers are way to tall for the 1/16 revo. your going to run into turning issue .as in hitting the body and bumper.
good luck.
limit your endpoints on ch 1...a ir temp gun is going to be handy
check temps often till you get your gearing right
things will heat up fast
What Trenchers are you talking about? The 2.2 Trenchers don't come close to hitting.
trencherRub.jpg

Just buy the 1/16 Summit tires. Gear it like the Summit. They're not much different.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxa...HfRfbU_XOKTGJybnPaEeiIDMkUyjliFBoC-3wQAvD_BwE

I bought an early brushed Summit that someone converted to brushless and gave it to my grandson as a gift. Nothing but issues. Tore stuff up all the time. Finally bought a brushless Revo roller and combined the two. Even modified the body to keep the wing. We call it the Surevo. Lol. Now it's a blast. I'll find a pic.

So much fun that my oldest son bought a set of Summit tires for his Revo. He hasn't changed the gearing but, does have to watch temps. If he runs it WOT through the grass it'll run hot. But, he only does it ocassionally. If it's something you do permanently, I'd consider gearing it down.

Edit: Found it.
20220819_225716-01.jpeg

the trenchers I seen where prolines and 5.2 " tall.

Back