New spektrum dx3s radio system

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonstrousMikey

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i picked up a new spektrum dx3s radio system. i was attracted to the lcd display that shows mph, rpm, and temperature. i guess i was so mesmerized i didnt realize how difficult it was going to be to install the telemetry system lol. has anyone had any experience with this device? i am running a brand new never ran savage xl. looks like I'm going to need to get the engine off the mounts to install the rpm/speed sensor. also can i use the 5-cell rachargeable pack that came with the stock hpi reciever? any feedback would be appreciated.

did you install it yet. I have a revo 3.3 and I am thinking about getting the dx3s. Have you had a chance to test it out? Would you recommend it?

i installed it.. real easy. its great it comes with another reciever for another vehicle. theres so many useful options in the radio. installing the temp wire is easy. but with my 5.9 the brackets they gave me to mount my RPM sensor was too small i had to custom mount it.. but works fine. my reciver was far from my sensors so i had the car audio guys where i work make the wires longer and still works fine. i reccomend it. fun project

I tried to convert XL`s RPM to KM/h using dx3s "ROLL OUT" but don`t know how to do it.Manual says you should roll the car with hand and count flywheel`s 10 revolutions but xl`s flywhell doesn`t rotate when I push the car
would you please tell me how to do that or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

You might try rotating the flywheel by hand if you can. If that is not possible, try using the starter to turn over the engine 10 times without the glow igniter or fuel.

I also have a DX3s. Great radio. The telemetry works great.

You might try rotating the flywheel by hand if you can. If that is not possible, try using the starter to turn over the engine 10 times without the glow igniter or fuel.

I also have a DX3s. Great radio. The telemetry works great.

Thank u very much dude

Last edited:
just got dx3s for my xl.any chance of a foto of ur custom mount for rpm sensor?

Just read the manual for the DX3S and they say push the rig so the CB turns 10 times, not the flywheel.

Although, if your vehicle has a two speed, that "roll out" isn't going to be accurate once your vehicle shifts out of first.

Jr Manual said:
Roll Out - The Roll Out function is only visible when the
unit is set to mph or km/h and is the internal calculator
that allows rpm data to be converted to mph or km/h.
When the Roll Out value is set to 1.0, the default setting,
the value displayed on the main screen and stored in
maximum speed, is true rpm of the shaft gear or flywheel
that the rpm sensor is hooked up to. In order to program
the unit to display speed in mph, a conversion factor is
needed. Following are two methods of determining the
conversion factor.

• Mark the clutch bell that the sensor is reading from with a small reference mark. A marker works well.

• Set the car next to a ruler and at 0” then roll the car forward by hand, counting each revolution of the reference mark. At exactly 10 revolutions stop the car.

• Measure the exact distance that the car traveled in
ten revolutions and divide this distance by 10 (e.g 12.0” divided by 10 = 1.20”).

• Adjust the Roll Out value until 1.20 appears on the
screen. Now all the rpm related functions will be displayed in mph or km/h.

just got dx3s for my xl.any chance of a foto of ur custom mount for rpm sensor?

Congragulations Dude...So I uploaded 2 photos of my dx3s rpm sensor installed on the XL.
I wrapped rpm sensor in a thick film of 2 sided glue.
An important thing in this setup is that the RPM SENSOR needs to be really close to the flywheel...I MEAN AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE.
t9uydw.gif

i4gt5l.gif

Just read the manual for the DX3S and they say push the rig so the CB turns 10 times, not the flywheel.

Although, if your vehicle has a two speed, that "roll out" isn't going to be accurate once your vehicle shifts out of first.

Thanks for your attention dude.
I did exactly all the things that written on the ROLLOUT section.
But when I roll the car forward and backward flywheel doesn`t rotate.

Last edited:
But when I roll the car forward and backward flywheel doesn`t rotate.

Exactly, which is why it says "Clutch Bell". ;)

When the clutch bell spins, it's assumed it will spin the same amount as the flywheel once the clutch is engaged. Barring some slippage, it should be the same.

Exactly, which is why it says "Clutch Bell". ;)

When the clutch bell spins, it's assumed it will spin the same amount as the flywheel once the clutch is engaged. Barring some slippage, it should be the same.

OOOO Got the point,thanks man

thanx for fotos but i still dont understand how u mounded it. did u stick to side of the motor?

Looks like he double sided taped it to the crank case right by the front bearing. Kind of surprised anything will hold there. Considering the oil, heat and vibration. As dirty as it is, I'm guessing it's been holding for a while!

yes it`s double sided tape...and after 5-6 tanks it works great.

I tried to convert XL`s RPM to KM/h using dx3s "ROLL OUT" but don`t know how to do it.Manual says you should roll the car with hand and count flywheel`s 10 revolutions but xl`s flywhell doesn`t rotate when I push the car
would you please tell me how to do that or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Try rolling it backwards.

The flywheel won't spin, but the clutch bell will and it will turn the same quantity of times as the flywheel does when the engine is running and the clutch is engaged (if it isn't slipping). Just mark the bell with something so you can easily see it and count the revs as you push it. You may need to push it backwards as gcsss1 suggests since the trans has a OWB in it that doesn't let the spur spin when you push the truck forward.

Still, your only purpose is to count the revs of the bell, so it doesn't matter which way you have to move the truck, as long as you can move it easy enough and smooth enough to not loose count.

Back