new here and need help with 1/8 buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guys what failsafe should i get any ideas?

If your going with a decent 2.4ghz radio with a screen, most of them have a FS built in for when your out of range. Adding another may cause issues.

Alright thanks olds97. Heres the paint job i did nothing crazy but came out looking pretty nice. also i have another question when charging the RX battery is it ok to leave it plugged into RX while charging or should i disconnect and remove it before i charge it?
http://tinypic.com/r/not5vk/9

Depends. I'm guessing you have a switch between the battery/receiver, right? If so, then you should be fine, just make sure the switch is off. I never take mine out. My revo's and jato have charge jacks built into the battery box or on the chassis. I put one on my savage so I didn't have a pigtail flailing around. On my old ofna buggy, I have a pigtail. I haven't driven that thing more than 10 times in 3 years... lol!

Well I decided to move the switch connection to the battery box side in case I don't want to open up the the RX box incase I want to remove the battery also put some thin foam in both

And with the whole failsafe I mean I got a futaba system but it's only the 130$ 3pl so I did order an external one

Haha! Look at you in your new digs bro
Man that is a sweet buggy and I know your gonna love it. Remember, the more you use her the more she'll love you back. Kinda like those chicks at the bars. lmao. j/k
It sounds like you've got it figured out as far as your previous questions and Olds was spot on. Good job on the paint too, I like it. You'll be lucky to ever see lids on my vehicles, I don't know why but I never really use them. So I'm a little jealous Also I've never painted a lid before. I'm color blind and I've always hated painting or coloring so I always get them already done.
I use Byrons 30% Nitro 11% lubrication fuel in my Nova's for break in and then switch between that and Byrons 25% Nitro 8% Lubrication. I use the 25% in my Hyper 7 and my Savage mostly, They have stock engines.
Keep us updated buddy. Peace.

lol thanks mans I'm pretty happy with how the whole thing went building painting etc. and oh believe me i plan on using this machine alot prob only on a track though no bashing i really want to get into the whole racing aspect of the sport and since there is a track not even 10 mins from my house that helps alot also lol. as for the pain actually my wife picked the colors i just arranged them on the body.

i hope to break the motor in when my starter box temp gauge battery's come in then ill just pick up whatever fuel and charger ill need...sucks its like 35 degrees out tho.....I'm prob gonna heat the hack out of it with a hair dryer then quickly run outside lol

Hey guys what precent nitro fuel should I get for this motor I have a choice of 20 or 30 I will be using this % fuel for the life of the motor. So should I get 20 or 30

30% gives you more power but tends to give you a narrower safe tuning window. Also may need to shim the head different to accommodate it and run a cooler plug. Considering that engine, it may be shimmed out of the box for higher percentage stuff. Did it come with a manual and does the manual suggest anything?

I know my LRP manuals suggested 25%, so that's now what I run in everything. I buy a gallon of 20 and 30, then mix them 50/50 to get close to 25%. Ran so nice in my lrp, I figured why not try in my others. Plus, now I don't have to keep two kinds of fuel on hand.

Well 8 just got back from the shop and picked up byrons race Gen 2 20% 12%lube

30 percent in the nova. The shim is already in there.

image.jpeg
I use 30 for break in and then I switch to 25 with a lower oil content. If it's a factory HPI, Traxxas,etc. I'll break in with the 25.
Don't worry though because that 20% is great but if your racing you may want to break it in with 30. IMO you can always go from 30 to 20 but you don't want to go from 20 to 30. Does that make sense? Lol

Last edited:
Well I guess I kinda make a mistake whoops lol. Oh well

Well hopefully I will be starting the motor tomorrow for the first time I'm going to follow Adam Drakes breakin process seems pretty simple. I'll let you guys know how it went or if I have a question.

Alright guys got about 5 tanks through it at idle/very little throttle. Kept it at around 200 220 degrees then putting the piston at the bottom of the sleeve letting it cool. Damn that thing was running rich spitting oil everywhere lol. Went through all most a half gallon. I'll do one more tank tomorrow then start tuning the lsn. How do you guys suggest I go about tuning it?

Small turns then drive it around for a few minutes and bring it back and let it idle for 10-15 seconds. If the idle doesn't drop straight down then try closing the idle until it drops to a low smooth idle. If it stalls when you hit the gas again then start it back up and drive it around some more and then bring it back and lean the lsn or open the idle up little bit to just keep it from stalling, then continue leaning the lsn in tiny turns. Keep that idle as low and sooth as possible. The engine will tell you what it wants.

That's just an example of the game, man. All my engines are different and all of them acted different during there first gallon of fuel. Thus they were all broken in differently. Tuning charts are great but only you can hear and feel your engine so they're just a guideline and not the gospel. I don't care what method any one says is the best, it's only one way of many. Drive it and listen and feel the changes it makes and then make your adjustments.
It'll take another five tanks before it's even remotely close to tuned. You want to go slow during the break in and don't try to rush it, sometimes the 10-20th tanks can be the most important as far as tuning goes.

You can check out my YouTube channel and see vids of me tuning if you want to see something or hear something. They're NOT instructionals but just videos of me doing my hobby. I have respect for every ones input that's valuable, I just video stuff to give back to the Nitro community that helped me. I've been in this hobby a long time but I'm a noob not a pro
https://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Last edited:
Thanks man I'll see what I can do and I'll check your videos out as well.

Well I took it out today to try and tune it but I just couldn't get it.....blew the glow plug out....