new here and need help with 1/8 buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derrick87

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
First off i would like to say hi from north east PA.
Well to start. I need some help. I'm looking into getting back into 1/8th scale buggy racing/bashing. I had one years ago an OFNA hyper 7 pro kit not sure what engine or pipe had an old old Futaba radio system and not sure what servo's etc.
I have about a grand to spend on this project so i want something that"s durable reliable and will last. Iv been doing some searching and found that Losi Mugen and Kyosho seem to be the best? I'm pretty sure i want to build it from the ground up "kit,engine,pipe,servo's,etc"
If any one would be so kind as to point me in the right direction as far as kits and everything i would need to add upto my price point that would be great.

Thanks Derrick

$1000 or £1000, either way is a lot of money for someone getting back into the hobby. I'd actually recommend sticking to what you had previously, as that is still a very good car. There are many good brands including HPI, OFNA, Traxxas, Kyosho, HoBao, Mugen, Xray, Serpent and a few others. It all depends on what type of vehicle you want.

i think i know what kit i will be getting the hyosho mp9 tki3. but have no clue on what engine pipe manafold sevo's radio etc to get. if anyone can help that would be much appreciated

Check out the Novarrossi Paloma .21 Limited edition on Novarrossi direct in the off-road/.21 section. I run that with a Dynamite 086 pipe and it's very fast. Also check out the other engines and the larger ones too. I got a killer deal on the Rex Legend .28 on that same site.
Also check out the Protek 150 and 130 series servos on Amain, they're excellent.
Just an idea for ya and it's under $200 combo with the pipe!
Here's a link to a vid of the Paloma engine running:

would this be a better combo or would the one you suggested be better?
http://novarossidirect.com/REVENGE-21OFF-with-Tuned-Pipe-and-Manifold_p_3235.html
hmmm those servo's seem a bit pricey...anything thats a bit cheaper but still good?lol
idk maybe i should just go with the losi 3.0 kit and keep the price down as much as possible so my wife doesint kill me lol
any and all advice parts etc is welcome

That Rex .21 pipe combo is a killer engine and I'm tempted to buy myself one at that price. Spending less than $200 on an engine and pipe will save you a lot of money that's why I recommended those servos, Protek does make a great $50 servo (it's on Amain) but it's not high voltage so you just have to watch what battery you use for a hump pack.
Look I know the newest kits are badass but you should consider buying a roller instead and put the money into your engine/pipe/electronics.
Check out these two rollers:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-MP9-TKI-1-8-scale-buggy-rolling-chassis-/131707544558?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mugen-mbx-6-m...ing-chassis-/131707422634?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

If you spend $165 on the roller and $129 on that Nova Rex .21 engine and pipe combo you're at $295 and at that point you can drop money on the nice servos or save money and go with the less expensive ones either way your under $600 and you've got a badass kit.
Personally I like that MBX6 it's a killer deal but nothing wrong with the Kyosho, he usually has a TKI3 for sale but I think that TKI1 is the only one he has up for auction right now.Check out what else he's selling because there's a Losi 8ight 3.0 and a Mugen MBX7 roller on his page but they're around $180. Plus there's a couple Team Associated RC8's around $125. The guy lives by me and he's a straight up racer he doesn't bash these vehicles. I've bought directly from him many times.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I bought everyone of these as a roller (a couple were ready to run w/engines and electronics) and didn't pay more than $165 per vehicle. I have dropped some coin on the stuff I wanted to change but other than that I have saved a ton of money and they'll give any one s run for their money. Also controllers like Flyskys FS-GT3B are quality cheap transmitters and those are Just some ideas for you.

If it were me, Id buy a mugen (first choice), or a Losi (second choice), or an associated for the buggy kit. Id buy either a novarossi, Picco, Werks, or O.S. engine in that order. Also if your racing buggies Id get a .21 not a .28. IDK to many (if any) nitro buggy racers that use a .28. Id get Savox servos. best bang for the buck IMO. For a radio System Id get a Futaba 4PLS.

If it were me, Id buy a mugen (first choice), or a Losi (second choice), or an associated for the buggy kit. Id buy either a novarossi, Picco, Werks, or O.S. engine in that order. Also if your racing buggies Id get a .21 not a .28. IDK to many (if any) nitro buggy racers that use a .28. Id get Savox servos. best bang for the buck IMO. For a radio System Id get a Futaba 4PLS.
I have the Savox 1256tg and it's a beast for a steering servo. I did buy the expensive servos or else I'd have gotten the 4PLS but instead I have a Spektrum DX4C TX which is only $100 and it supports the SR210 RX which you can find for $20. 20 model Memory etc. but Telemetry is pretty darn cool.
The problem I've run into with servos is that I run LiPo hump packs and high voltage servos are expensive but you get better performance out of them IMO. I also agree that small blocks .21 are better in buggies and that combo he posted the link to is a damn good deal, wow!

Thanks everyone for your input i really do appreciate it. but i still think I'm set on getting the Kyosho kit. i just ordered TA shock oil 37.5 front and 35 rear TA 5000 diff oil Proline bowties 2.0 "med" some muchmore glue and some TA locktight. Also picked up the Futaba 3pl/receiver....now i just am not sure on the servo's they don't need to be the best just would like them to work maybe 39 to 50 dollar ones but am stumped also have no idea what battery pack to get.......

Where are you buying the kit from? Got a link to the one you're looking at?

Yeah they'll work great. Just read the specs on the servo and it should tell you what size battery hump pack to use, A 6v should be fine.

yea ill prob just go with those servo's. So i have the kit,oils,transmitter/receiver,tires/glue,servo's checked off .Now to search on what battery got any good ones in mind Kris?

I can't seem to find that pack on amazon which is where i have gotten everything so far "just opened a credit card with them :D" lol

Last edited:
I don't see the motor mounts on the pictures of the kit nor do I read that they're included in the description so I'd look them up. Non pull start mounts if it matters. Also you'll need a bump box to start her up.

The engine/pipe is almost to good to pass up :)

If i get that engine/pipe combo do i need mounts for that particular motor? are they universal? or do i need kyosho ones? i honestly have no clue lol links would be much much help lol