New Axial 1/18th scale crawler Capra 4WD Unlimited Trail Buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't decide if I like it or not.
I thought the Capra was more of a rock buggy than a crawler, but the vid only shows it crawling slow.

I think I prefer the TRX4M myself.

The price does seem a bit steep.

I always thought it was more of a bouncer than a crawler as well. I don't think a small bouncer would be terribly fun because it won't have the weight to keep itself planted on the ground.

The Capra has 4ws also. Not sure why they'd leave that little tidbit off this. Without that, I think TRX4M too.
This capra doesn't have 4ws. If you look over the rear diff pumpkin, there is no servo.
I saw this and realized that traxxas isn't as overpriced as I used to think.

This capra doesn't have 4ws. If you look over the rear diff pumpkin, there is no servo.
I saw this and realized that traxxas isn't as overpriced as I used to think.
Oh, well I guess it's just the Unlimited Capra that has 4WS

The biggest pre release gripe I've seen about the TRX4M, and my personal gripe, is that it doesn't have portals and the Capra does. Doesn't make the Capra worth it to me.

I'm sure either Traxxas or the aftermarket will have portals for it soon and with a full replacement rear being $20 and the front being $40 I'm guessing a portal upgrade wouldn't be anything insane.

The have a pretty nice and reasonably priced parts catalog for it already which is nice too.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay $150 for it. It just looks like a cheap toy to me.

It does have that Amazon look.

Last edited:
I don't see where it looks toy grade at all 🤷‍♂️

It's probably mostly the picture. For some reason all of the plastic cage rigs like that look like the stuff that falls between toy grade and hobby grade to me, also partially because I've spent a fair amount of time around actual King of the Hammers trucks. A Rock Rey or similar is on my list at some point.

It's an Axial though so unless it completely bombs I'm sure it will have massive aftermarket support in a short time.

It's the cockpit and drivers that make it seem more toy like.
I guess I still dont see it. That is a scaled down version of the Ryft interior looks like to me. Maybe popping the heads off and painting them match would help.
20220322_002126.jpg

TRX4M makes a little more sense now.
Don't the batteries die in like 20min tho? Like for all micro crawlers? I was using a buddies latrax prerunner and I got 5 min of runtime before the battery died, and it just came off the charger

Don't the batteries die in like 20min tho? Like for all micro crawlers? I was using a buddies latrax prerunner and I got 5 min of runtime before the battery died, and it just came off the charger
With crawlers, you get quite a bit of run time out of them. Our SCX24's will run for more than 25 minutes.

Plus the batteries for them are so cheap and small, you can pack a few with you.

I guess I still dont see it. That is a scaled down version of the Ryft interior looks like to me. Maybe popping the heads off and painting them match would help.
View attachment 154836
I think paint would go a long way in helping the appearance.

View attachment 154836

Like I said maybe it's just the pictures. I like the Ryft, love the arms on that.

May just be that it's a vehicle configuration that doesn't interest me in that size.

I'm certainly not knocking anyone that likes it. I look at 1/10 Rock Bouncers all the time and will probably have one at some point, heck I've been thinking I might enjoy either a bouncer or a fairly basic Slash VXL 4WD more than the basher.

Haha that is a good way of putting it!

The more I look at it I think it's just the scale I don't like.

Would probably only be $130 if they hadn't used the Currie logo on the diff. 😋

Expensive small thing that looks like one thing but does something else and is kind of slow but looks like it shouldn't be.
Perhaps if they called it a limited trail truck.
There are no dimensions listed for it.

Back