Need suggestions for esc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmie28

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
My traxxas xl5hv finally decided to let the magic smoke out of it this afternoon. I found a couple 3s batteries that I want to use on it however I had noticed the run time dramatically decreased while using 2s power. I used 3s to release its demons. So now I need some suggestions on good upgrade escs. Looking at a mamba x system or a fusion pro 2300kv. Or the quic run 1080. This is for my defender chassised truck so it's more for bashing not crawling. Any suggestions would help

The Hobbywing 1080 is a great brushed esc, and I would argue that you can't beat it for the price. I have put the 1080 paired with a reedy radon 5 slot 16t brushed motor in an axial capra and trx4. It gave me decent speed on 3s. I currently have a Castle Mamba X with 2280kv castle motor combo in my trx4 sport and it is pretty quick.

$264.99 https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...s-combo-w-2280kv-slate-cse010-0155-09/p665684

$33.99 https://www.amainhobbies.com/reedy-radon-2-crawler-5slot-brushed-motor-16t-asc27424/p961478
$43.99 https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...brushed-crawling-esc-23s-hwa30120202/p1466194

Right now I have an arrma 12 turn mega motor in my trx4 defender. As a quick fix from what you've said the hobbywing quic run should give decent performance in the interim so that I can get the castle system a little later. I'm wanting this to be my basher at the local BMX track with my wife's stampede. As long as I can run a 3s I'll be happy 😊

That 1080 should do the trick then. Just know that 3s will eventually fry that 12t motor.

pretty sure u can't go wrong with one of these
1680406245592.png

Or else:

Traxxas XL-5HV 3S Waterproof Electronic Speed Control​

Pretty decent and small..

Yeah Vorteks ESC selected bc it keeps working on my wifey's Vorteks S3 with around 50MPH+.
Idk maybe it's just me being a Kevin Talbot, but higher $ over time pays out (ignoring skateparks crap)

What i've learned in the RC world... you need a dremel with plastic and metal inserts and you can literally do whatever you want and need..

Edit.. maybe i've had more than enough % alc because of my own issues with my cars as usual...
Her wheels and Yada Yada are broken but.. the ESC works and survives... GN8

Last edited:
I'm trying to burn it all up so I have the excuse to buy new motors and stuff lol. I've burned a couple of those motors up but they give great speed to the trx4 for now. Even on 2s. I just put a holmes hobbies 13 turn crawlmaster 550 in my sport rebuild and it's been impressive with the control.
Any suggestions on a good servo for the trx4 as well?

You ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different preferences.

I prefer

MKS Servos X5 HBL550 Brushless Metal Gear High Torque Digital Servo (High Voltage​

I have several of them and use them in my crawlers and my racing rigs. 499oz torque and .094s speed @7.4v
They are about $115 a pop though

I'm trying to burn it all up so I have the excuse to buy new motors and stuff lol. I've burned a couple of those motors up but they give great speed to the trx4 for now. Even on 2s. I just put a holmes hobbies 13 turn crawlmaster 550 in my sport rebuild and it's been impressive with the control.
Any suggestions on a good servo for the trx4 as well?
I love to burn the house down, use my amazon card my wife does not have on her check list.... That's it on my recommendations. Just having fun posting this here :D
You ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different preferences.

I prefer

MKS Servos X5 HBL550 Brushless Metal Gear High Torque Digital Servo (High Voltage​

I have several of them and use them in my crawlers and my racing rigs. 499oz torque and .094s speed @7.4v
They are about $115 a pop though
AMEN

I think I'll take all those suggestions and spend the money on them. I'll get the mamba x and the mks servo. I'm sick of buying cheap stuff and having it fail quickly. Thanks for the suggestions

You just blew it.. I love it :D i am the same way.
Bazooka > pistol
Regrets come later and will be ignored
Love it!
Finding out after the purchase that way less would have done the trick i call learning money.. education = priceless or 235$ :D

I swear,,,, i really hope it works out as you expect!!!!!!!

I have my mamba x/2280 in a TRX4 sport that I equipped with the unlocking diffs. I use the auxiliary wire in my 4th channel to switch between rock racer mode and crawler mode. You can go all out and then hit a switch to go into crawler mode with full drag brake. Best of both worlds.

I have the selectable lockers and the 2 speed so it should give me the best of both worlds
My texts and suggestions where for.. blow it.. no more crawling and crap.. Because you said more bashing, less crawling... (sorts of)
I get it.. This is why i have a Mojave 1/7 scale burning the grass and pulling a 3y old in a crappy plastic wagon over the backyard.. And my suggestions...
And SCX 24s or AX CX-1 24 and now i am confused :D since you said you want both worlds ?!
And else, please blame my English :D

I do want more bashing which is why as I'm writing this I'm putting the sidewinder4 and 5700kv in it. I'll do the responsible thing and order the mamba x later. I'm looking to jump it and run it with my wife's stampede at a dirt BMX track.
It's just top heavy to make it too fast. I have a trx4 sport I use exclusively for crawling

I do want more bashing which is why as I'm writing this I'm putting the sidewinder4 and 5700kv in it. I'll do the responsible thing and order the mamba x later. I'm looking to jump it and run it with my wife's stampede at a dirt BMX track.
It's just top heavy to make it too fast. I have a trx4 sport I use exclusively for crawling
Top heavy sucks like the out of the box of crawlers. BRASS BRAS and special heavy stuff will help... but anyway.. I hope one or some of the RC GURUS jump in here and tell you what frame you need, which weights etc. you need to make it competitive.

Maybe it's not (what i actually think) and you just need a different car... But that's just my opinion... being off the grid for a while..
I try to help but I am damn honest when I'm wabbling in the sea with no clue knowing i will drawn while having no clue... while telling you wait for a more savvy person.

UGH yeah, i'm outta here :) :x
Trying to figure out with @nino who gave me in my first comment an angry face.. ...
Maybe a Rus bot or idk.. we shall see..buuuut a grumpy face is a mimimimi face (booohhoooo)?!

Last edited:
I'm definitely not a robot that's for sure. I have 20 plus trucks. I'm aiming to to make my defender chassis an all around performer. I mostly bash however there is a local group that is dedicated to crawling and I have that. I have my beaters. I've recently decided I want the trx4 defender as an all around type truck. One that can crawl when I want it to and one that can still jump and run through the mud when my wife wants to run her stampede
A small portion of my collection
20230303_130615.jpg

I'm definitely not a robot that's for sure. I have 20 plus trucks. I'm aiming to to make my defender chassis an all around performer. I mostly bash however there is a local group that is dedicated to crawling and I have that. I have my beaters. I've recently decided I want the trx4 defender as an all around type truck. One that can crawl when I want it to and one that can still jump and run through the mud when my wife wants to run her stampede
A small portion of my collection
all good my friend,
just talking about the attached picture and idk why mimimi angry face beside i could be clueless of what i am talking about.. And if I am.. just tell me :D mistakes lead to learning

1680414234155.png

I question and dislike stuff like this especially with no comments.,.

all good my friend,
just talking about the attached picture and idk why mimimi angry face beside i could be clueless of what i am talking about.. And if I am.. just tell me :D mistakes lead to learning

View attachment 162751
I question and dislike stuff like this especially with no comments.,.
Lol. Maybe nino was 3 sheets to the wind and fat fingered the like button 🤔😜

Last edited:
My traxxas xl5hv finally decided to let the magic smoke out of it this afternoon. I found a couple 3s batteries that I want to use on it however I had noticed the run time dramatically decreased while using 2s power. I used 3s to release its demons. So now I need some suggestions on good upgrade escs. Looking at a mamba x system or a fusion pro 2300kv. Or the quic run 1080. This is for my defender chassised truck so it's more for bashing not crawling. Any suggestions would help

I have the HW 1080 in min with a Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster and it's very good. I'm thinking about moving that to an HH CrawlMaster Magnum but it's a chunk of change. I've seen good things with the HW Fusion and the HW AXE system. as well.

If you're interested I have the original XL5HV from the TRX-4, I can make you a deal to get it out of my house. Just so you know it has an XT60 on it.

Back