Need help with an oc day motor not working well :(

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StashyWashy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently changed basically everything electric in my hsp brontosaurus (motor, esc, servo, made a diy battery from a 4X2 format) and my motor is really bad up hills, with low power and general problems with starting from standstill. Me and my dad tried changing the motor and the esc and it didnt help also we tried to code the esc with a coding card but the 3 cards we used were all crap. The only thing we didnt try changing is the battery to a non diy one because we dont wanna spend a lot of money. My question is is it the diy batteries fault? pls help edit: added pics and tried a vid but it didnt work:(
IMG_20210808_193048.jpg
IMG_20210808_193015.jpg
IMG_20210808_193003.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I recently changed basically everything electric in my hsp brontosaurus (motor, esc, servo, made a diy battery from a 4X2 format) and my motor is really bad up hills, with low power and general problems with starting from standstill. Me and my dad tried changing the motor and the esc and it didnt help also we tried to code the esc with a coding card but the 3 cards we used were all crap. The only thing we didnt try changing is the battery to a non diy one because we dont wanna spend a lot of money. My question is is it the diy batteries fault? pls help :(
Could be lots of reasons that you don't have enough torque. But yeah, a battery that can't deliver enough amperage to the motor can suffer from voltage drop, especially under load like taking off and going up hills. Without knowing your setup it would be hard to diagnose. So the more info you share here the better. What motors have you tried, what size pinion and spur gear are in it, stock tires? Also, what were the specs of the battery you used? Pics might help as well.

Could be lots of reasons that you don't have enough torque. But yeah, a battery that can't deliver enough amperage to the motor can suffer from voltage drop, especially under load like taking off and going up hills. Without knowing your setup it would be hard to diagnose. So the more info you share here the better. What motors have you tried, what size pinion and spur gear are in it, stock tires? Also, what were the specs of the battery you used? Pics might help as well.
1) only tried 2 oc day motors cuz I'm on a tiny budget cuz I'm 12 so i have little money 2) not a clue 3)i think its like 11.4volts put out by 4 batteries or something

This looks like the specs for what you have.
200911615413773.jpg

▪4WD drive
▪ motor RC 540
▪8.7.2v 1800mAh NI-MH

1) only tried 2 oc day motors cuz I'm on a tiny budget cuz I'm 12 so i have little money 2) not a clue 3)i think its like 11.4volts put out by 4 batteries or something
Well, to determine the pinion and spur gear you can put a mark on them with a marker on one of the teeth, then count the teeth on the gears. Is your battery an NiMh battery with the round batteries in it? Or is it a LiPo with the rectangular batteries?

Well, to determine the pinion and spur gear you can put a mark on them with a marker on one of the teeth, then count the teeth on the gears. Is your battery an NiMh battery with the round batteries in it? Or is it a LiPo with the rectangular batteries?
i think its a NiMh battery and its a brushless motor with no opening

Ahh. There ya go. So you should be running a LiPo.
any other cheaper and easier maintenance batteries that are good or should i just start being responsible enough for a lipo? cuz i asked my dad if we should buy a lipo and he said its very high maintenance

Last edited:
Well the truck definitely needs a lipo. The diy battery isn't going to deliver the power or amps the brushless motor need to perform properly. Your dad is rite. lipos do take more care, responsibility and respect. Then you nimh batteries. The stock motor that was in it was 540 brushed Correct. So instead of the 540 you can try and put a 550 brushed motor. That will give you more tourqe and speed. To get up those hills. And maybe pop some wheelies😁😁😁👍👍👍👍
Looking at the pics. Well done with the diy nimh bud👍👍 only thing is you should really get some shrink wrap or aleast some electric tape. To keep the wires from touching them selves or any metal

any other cheaper and easier maintenance batteries that are good or should i just start being responsible enough for a lipo? cuz i asked my dad if we should buy a lipo and he said its very high maintenance
Yeah, the LiPo batteries are a little more maintenance, but not really once you learn how to take care of them. The only real differences are you will need to do a storage charge on them after running them, and don't plan on running them any more that day. And you need to check on the internal resistance, which is displayed on the screen when you are charging them. Basically though, if the battery is charged and stored properly, no worries at all. And if it gets to puffing up, ditch it. I have LiPo batteries that are more than 2 years old and still doing fine. But that motor definitely needs a LiPo bud.

Well the truck definitely needs a lipo. The diy battery isn't going to deliver the power or amps the brushless motor need to perform properly. Your dad is rite. lipos do take more care, responsibility and respect. Then you nimh batteries. The stock motor that was in it was 540 brushed Correct. So instead of the 540 you can try and put a 550 brushed motor. That will give you more tourqe and speed. To get up those hills. And maybe pop some wheelies😁😁😁👍👍👍👍
Looking at the pics. Well done with the diy nimh bud👍👍 only thing is you should really get some shrink wrap or aleast some electric tape. To keep the wires from touching them selves or any metal
me and my dad made the battery my dad is a good handyman 👍

It's really not a question of how well the battery was put together, but the battery's ability to transfer enough amps to the motor to perform. A NiMh typically won't keep up with a brushless motor's demand.

calibrate esc to radio. b4 that put some electric tape on all exposed solder joints,is esc able to handle.4 li-ion cells in series is 16.8 volts not 11.whatever..4.2 x 4 is 16.8

I would say he is. And a good dad. To build a battery for you.👍👍 hope you get it running bud. Got any more ? Just come back and ask 👍👍👍

It's really not a question of how well the battery was put together, but the battery's ability to transfer enough amps to the motor to perform. A NiMh typically won't keep up with a brushless motor's dem

calibrate esc to radio. b4 that put some electric tape on all exposed solder joints,is esc able to handle.4 li-ion cells in series is 16.8 volts not 11.whatever..4.2 x 4 is 16.8
yeah i just didnt know the specs

thanks for the help and if i have more questions ill ask 👍