Need help with an oc day motor not working well :(

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the help and if i have more questions ill ask šŸ‘
Ok, there are a few things I see that are wrong, if not downright cringe worthy. I'm not trying to be mean but heres a few things I see wrong right off the batt. (as in battery....pun intended....nvm.....lol). The battery is one of your biggest issues. They are 18650 cells which means they are lithium and not NiMH. If that was a NiMH pack it would only be putting out 4.8V which wouldnt be enough to even power the system. Heres the thing though the round lithium cells do not have the C rating required for a 1/10 scale brushless set up and its only a matter of time before you damage the cells and they could potentially catch fire. If you were going to try and use 18650 cells to build your own proper battery pack and you wanted to run on 2S (I'm assuming that small brushless system that you guys installed is only rated for 2S or 3S LiPo) then I would personally build it using about 8 of those 18650 cells wired up in a 2S4P configuration. If you're not sure what that is then what I'm talking about is taking a total of 8 cells and creating 4 pairs where each pair is wired up in series and then taking all 4 pairs are wiring those up in parallel. That would create a 7.4V (2S LiPo equivalent) battery pack with a total capacity of about 10,000mAh and about 48C. That would be safe to use and give you plenty of run time. I would also recommend using Sony VTC5A 18650 cells as they have about the highest specs you can find for those types of batteries and they are from a quality manufacturer. They are what I used to get the numbers of 10000mAh and 48C. If you use lesser 18650s you may want to run 5 pairs of 2 cells to make sure you have enough head room. Youd also need to wire up a balance lead for the pack and charge it with a Lipo charger unless you can come up with something using 2S battery trays kind of like what you have but instead of 1 tray that runs 4 cells in series, what you would need would be 4 trays that run 2 cells in series and then you could wire up all 4 of the cell holders in parallel. IMHO its easier to just buy some Hoovo or Zee brand lipos from amazon though.

Second problem I see is you have a 380 sized motor in the kit which is too small imho. Whenever you see a motor that is supposed to be a 540 sized motor but it has those super deep grooves in the can its because the manufacturer installed a 380 sized motor into a 540 sized can and claimed it was a 540. I'm not saying it wont work but it definitely will not have the power that a true 540 motor has.

Third thing is FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY PLEASE GET SOME HEATSHRINK/INSULATION ON YOUR EXPOSED CONNECTORS!!! šŸ¤£

Last edited:
Ok, there are a few things I see that are wrong, if not downright cringe worthy. I'm not trying to be mean but heres a few things I see wrong right off the batt. (as in battery....pun intended....nvm.....lol). The battery is one of your biggest issues. They are 18650 cells which means they are lithium and not NiMH. If that was a NiMH pack it would only be putting out 4.8V which wouldnt be enough to even power the system. Heres the thing though the round lithium cells do not have the C rating required for a 1/10 scale brushless set up and its only a matter of time before you damage the cells and they could potentially catch fire. If you were going to try and use 18650 cells to build your own proper battery pack and you wanted to run on 2S (I'm assuming that small brushless system that you guys installed is only rated for 2S or 3S LiPo) then I would personally build it using about 8 of those 18650 cells wired up in a 2S4P configuration. If you're not sure what that is then what I'm talking about is taking a total of 8 cells and creating 4 pairs where each pair is wired up in series and then taking all 4 pairs are wiring those up in parallel. That would create a 7.4V (2S LiPo equivalent) battery pack with a total capacity of about 10,000mAh and about 48C. That would be safe to use and give you plenty of run time. I would also recommend using Sony VTC5A 18650 cells as they have about the highest specs you can find for those types of batteries and they are from a quality manufacturer. They are what I used to get the numbers of 10000mAh and 48C. If you use lesser 18650s you may want to run 5 pairs of 2 cells to make sure you have enough head room. Youd also need to wire up a balance lead for the pack and charge it with a Lipo charger unless you can come up with something using 2S battery trays kind of like what you have but instead of 1 tray that runs 4 cells in series, what you would need would be 4 trays that run 2 cells in series and then you could wire up all 4 of the cell holders in parallel. IMHO its easier to just buy some Hoovo or Zee brand lipos from amazon though.

Second problem I see is you have a 380 sized motor in the kit which is too small imho. Whenever you see a motor that is supposed to be a 540 sized motor but it has those super deep grooves in the can its because the manufacturer installed a 380 sized motor into a 540 sized can and claimed it was a 540. I'm not saying it wont work but it definitely will not have the power that a true 540 motor has.

Third thing is FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY PLEASE GET SOME HEATSHRINK/INSULATION ON YOUR EXPOSED CONNECTORS!!! šŸ¤£
so the motor is an OCDAY 9T 4370KV 4 poles sensorless brushless motor and i brought it with an esc (60A) in a kit from aliexpress šŸ¤£

so the motor is an OCDAY 9T 4370KV 4 poles sensorless brushless motor and i brought it with an esc (60A) in a kit from aliexpress šŸ¤£
Brushless systems really need the power of a lipo.. sorry to tell ya but your best bet is a 550 brushed. Rang from 30-50$ us