Need help finding a electric set for a WPL RC truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquor_Man23

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm working on a WPL truck and I want to make it amphibious truck. Specifically a 1940s GMC DUKW. I want the standard forward, backward, left, and right. but I also want front and back headlights. I functional water propeller I can activate via the remote. and I want the rudder to turn with the front wheels. Should I look into a 5 or 6 channel transmitter?

I only have a small bit of advice.. the rudder can turn along with the front wheels thru a Y harness on the steering channel..servo Y harness.. youll also need a flex shaft for propeller shaft.. good luck in your build.

Last edited:
You could also use a Y-Splitter to run your prop along with the wheels as well as using a Y for the rudder like tnt suggested. Then all you would need is one or two extra channels for your lights. If you want to try to control everything independantly then I would probably use an Airplane radio.

Hmm indeed. An airplane radio would seem to work since they have 5+ channels. Forgive me for being so ignorant about this field of hobby. I'm willing to learn. so if I want the Forward, back, left, right,, front/rear lights, water prop that can be engaged via controller and rudder, a fly sky 5-6 channel radio would suffice, right? I assume it would be plug and play, or do I have to do some binding. Its a shame that my grandfather isn't around anymore. RC's were his thing, but it never occurred to me to ask him questions about this hobby. now I'm stumped on how the electronics work, setup and feasibility. I appreciate all the help you guys can offer.

Hello all. I'm working on a WPL truck and I want to make it amphibious truck. Specifically a 1940s GMC DUKW. I want the standard forward, backward, left, and right. but I also want front and back headlights. I functional water propeller I can activate via the remote. and I want the rudder to turn with the front wheels. Should I look into a 5 or 6 channel transmitter?
KK Waterproof Combo 2440 4000KV 4600KV 6080KV Brushless Motor w/ 35A ESC for Traxxas HSP Tamiya Axial 1/16 1/18 RC this is a great set for that

KK Waterproof Combo 2440 4000KV 4600KV 6080KV Brushless Motor w/ 35A ESC for Traxxas HSP Tamiya Axial 1/16 1/18 RC this is a great set for that
Oh and a hobby surpass controller. Mine is a 6 channel you can go with remotes that have less channels and cost less money but that's about the cheapest easiest and most efficient way I can help you out with

Oh and a hobby surpass controller. Mine is a 6 channel you can go with remotes that have less channels and cost less money but that's about the cheapest easiest and most efficient way I can help you out with
Try AliExpress for a good deal on it all

get a 8 channel to be safe learn how to mix channels and also use switches or buttons.

get a 8 channel to be safe learn how to mix channels and also use switches or buttons.
What type of controller do you recommend getting? an aircraft style one with the sticks or a car style one with a trigger and wheel?

I like the car style. It to me just feels right when driving.
What type of controller do you recommend getting? an aircraft style one with the sticks or a car style one with a trigger and wheel?

I have always used aircraft controllers. My first was back in the 80's when I got a Tamiya bruiser. over the years Iv'e had more planes than cars. When one of my boys convinced me to build a crawler we already had a ten channel aircraft radio and I have been very happy with the controls. also I have what seems like endless combinations for accessories such as two speed trans, locking diffs, lights, horn etc. With a slight modification used a three position switch to give me a neutral position between high and low to let me rev the engine when I add a sound module.

You can make either one work. Just have to get one with enough channels.

I recently got a metal gearbox, with a 370 sized motor on it. Turns out the gear box has two spindles on the side from the bridge to the diff, so I'm gonna use the top spindle as a splitter for the water propeller. Possible downside is that the water prop will spin when the truck is in motion whilst on land. I've modified the chassis some, got to water proof the servo, I've decided to get a winch so I could get a 6 channel since I don't need a separate motor for the propeller.

Hoping that trying to convert a WPL B16 goes well. Wanting it to look like if not similar to a DUKW

Attachments

• GMC_DUKW_RM.jpg
    GMC_DUKW_RM.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 39
Wow that will be cool. I really hope it goes well. I would love to see the end result and know how well it works. I got the same motor/gearbox but I removed the motor and converted the top to a 5mm shaft to receive a universal joint and 5mm driveshaft connected to a 540 80t motor.the only part of my wpl now is the cab and the bed. I even had to remove all out of the cab so I could install a large 2cell 7.4v 5200 nah lipo. The truck is all motor and battery with a wpl Toyota chassis,wl toys buggy roll cage cut up to fit then the wpl cab. I also installed shocks to get rid of the leafsprings. I'm am thinking on installing a winch but thinking on useing the 370 motor that come with that gearbox and connect it to a lot reduction gearbox then connect it to a duel way switch on my 6 channel remote. The esc I decided to use is vintage super rooster waterproof. Almost done with it just working out the little things and installing lights. All in all lots of modification. Lots of power. Keep us all posted with your build. Really interesting choice
16228678723656454421904975009511.jpg
16228679738182310500862130183541.jpg
1622868022158860183868798109755.jpg

Damn, that is one crazy crawler. I like that you got shocks on and massive tires. The LEDs are pretty cool as well. A hiccup I might have is trying to build a water tight hull especially since you got a servo arm sticking out and it needs room to move. but I added some plastic and filled in gaps and holes in the stock servo pan. Now in the process of replacing most of the plastic with metal. I put wheels from a JJRC Q65 which are crossply style. it gives the truck a few MMs of increased height. I put upgraded lifting lugs on the front and an extra leaves in the rear. All around its still leaf strung But its better than nothing.
1623042688229.png

Which buggy is that cage from? Might be useful for my JJRC Q60 race truck I got on the side.

Which buggy is that cage from? Might be useful for my JJRC Q60 race truck I got on the side.
The cage come from a wpl buggy. I cut it down to fit. Little modification but but trusting old parts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210607-035156.png
    Screenshot_20210607-035156.png
    462.5 KB · Views: 37
Back