Need a tiny tutorial

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCDad

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK, so far I haven't even started one of my RC's. One of the systems I have is an Airtronics Rival Sport which I've found is about as low as you can go in the radio world.

Can someone explain the differences in AM/FM, MHZ (this on is 75), and what would be considered a descent system for a car.

Is there anyway to tell if my Airtronics Rival Sport works? I mean, if you put batteries in it do any lights come on or? I'm trying to figure out if I should get a new Airtronics Avenger.

27 and 75 are the two frequencies given to us by the FCC for ground use and electric park fliers. 72 is for aircraft. FM is less subject to other interference than AM.
I'm not familiar with your particular radio, so I don't know if there's a light.
Power up the radio and the car, and see if the servos move properly. If they do, walk away from the car while moving your radio controls, and have someone else let you know if it's still receiving. It might work up close, but lose it's signal at a distance. Go the maximum distance you will be running the car, and if it's still working, you should be fine with it.

The Rival is a baseline radio. Being on 75 MHz, I'd think it is FM which is the better choice. But I could be wrong. I think for starting out I wouldn't worry too much at this point. The important thing is that it works. So load up 8 batteries into it. When you hit the power, there should be lights. Usually there's a red, yellow and green. If all 3 light, you're good. If the red/yellow light, your batteries are starting to get low. And if just the red, then the batteries need to be recharged/replaced. Then do as Rolex said. Get batteries in the receiver pack and turn the trans the receiver on. Make sure the throttle and steering servo work. Then slowly walk away to see how far you can go before losing signal. Make sure the tran antenna is all the way up. Also make sure the servos are moving in the right directions. That is, the wheels turn right when you turn the steering wheel right and the throttle opens when you pull the trigger. Before you start the car, test the brakes. Make sure that when you push up on the trigger, the brakes engage with enough force to keep the car from moving. Nothing worse than a nitro without brakes. Keep up updated. I think it's getting perilously close to that time when you just need to fire it up and take it for a spin....