My first attempt at real fire

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice art on the flame templates. Looks better than some I've seen. So it looks like you need both inner and outer curves. Encore! Demo!

Nice job!!
Very, very nice!

I still need to work on adding some more freehand to blend the orange and yellow together a little better, and I am already making new templates that should help out quite a bit.

Yeah, I was going to make that very observation, so I'm glad you caught that yourself.

I'd also like to add that, for me to obtain a flame job that spectacular, I would either have to throw a lid into a bonfire or ask Dom for a reach around while watching "Brokeback Mountain."

That is truly art and an incredible talent you have, Joe. The extent of my painting acumen amounts to, "yellow and blue make green" and I'm pretty sure I know that only from seeing so many Ziploc baggie commercials!

I don't suppose you'd consider painting a body for a fellow member, willing to pay for labor and materials of course, would you? It'd be a real honor to have one of your masterpieces on my Hyper 7.

Again, wow, that is simply awesome, awesome work!

Thanks again for all the compliments guys. i really enjoyed painting this one!

WoodiE said:
You should do a tutorial on how to do this, I'd gladly post this on the front page!

No problem WoodiE. I am getting ready to do my sons Stampede body, so I can do it as I am painting it. I just gotta order some more paint.

Monkey, you kill me man, LOL.

That thing came out sweet.

BTW. did you use the tutorial in Xtreme RC? They show you step by step on how to do it.

Actually I used bits and pieces from that article, as well as CFX Paint Works. A member there did a great write up on how to do it. I first tried the Xtreme way, but the red killed everything, I hated the way it looked. However I liked the way they showed how to do the flames using white opaque. Then I tried it using only orange and yellow transparents, and sprint white acrylic, but rather than doing the flames with an opaque orange or yellow over the transparents I used white. Then when all four layers are done and dried I backed the entire thing with black. I practiced quite a bit on a sheet of lexan before even attempting it on a body.

WOW!! nice body mate.

that's amazing for a first go at flames.

is it for a savage? (the shell)

also, do you reckon if i stripped my stock rush evo shell down, and gave it to you, do you reckon you could spray it black & put light blue flames on the bonnet and a bit down the side?

i'll give you £20 fo it. does that sound reasinable?

thanks. :D

R.E.M.

P.S. i will provide the paints for ya.

Rush evo man, It will be going on my Crawler, it actually already is on my crawler, lol. As far as painting your lid, I really don't want to paint over a stripped body, the hard metals will most likely show all the imperfections in the body. If there is even a spec of paint left it will definately show up on the finished product. Sorry man. BTW how much is that in US currency?

Awesome job there.Perseverence paid off big-time...fire rules..mike lavallee style rocks

Is the non-masking NCN (except for the windows) really a time saver? It takes me about 8 hours to paint a body with the dively's and a few layers. But you said it was hard to fit the templates with two hands, and the extra drying time.

Once you experience a few, just how long does it take to setup and paint one of these? (I smell a tutorial <G>)

If your going to offer $$ to have a job done, take it to pm's.

Thread cleaned up.

Last edited:
Thanks Ratzo!

Silent, I have already made a new set of smaller templates that should work better, and fit inside the bodies better.

Eventually I want to pick up the extreme standz paint stand, but I will rig something up in the mean time to hold a body for me before I do the next one. It was very difficult holding the airbrush, body, and template with only two hands, lol.

I told WoodiE I will do a write up for him for the site once I do another one or two and feel comfortable doing it.

As far as masking, I prefer this much better than masking, other than dry time it goes relatively quick. I did not really keep track of the time, since a good deal of time was spent practicing on my test lexan sheet. I will keep track of it on the next one and have it in the write-up I do. I know for sure though it was no where near 8 hours

I do need to give credit however to extremepaint at CFX Paintworks, and this months Xtreme R/C Magazine, for there tutorials, and inspiration to finally give it a try. I just used a combination of both of those tutorials to come up with what you see here.

Best thing was I really enjoyed painting this one! And not to mention, it looks bad ass on my Crawler!

Had to come back to see this piece of work. First response ... dammmnnnnn booooyyyeeee. Second response...same as the first. You certainly have outdone yourself this time. That will be tough to top.

Great work.

Looking forward to the write-up.
I have to go out and get that issue of Xtreme R/C.

NCNitro,

I went to the CFX Paintworks site and looked up ExtremePaint, but could not find his how-to anywhere. Could you post a link to it, if its public? I have the XtremeRC mag, but wanted to see his version as well.

Silent said:
NCNitro,

I went to the CFX Paintworks site and looked up ExtremePaint, but could not find his how-to anywhere. Could you post a link to it, if its public? I have the XtremeRC mag, but wanted to see his version as well.

PM sent with link...

hey howd i miss this!? lol i helped out with the article that went into extremerc.... well i provided it and they rewrote it, lol oh well

anyway incase your wondering i'll have it set up permantly on my website at www.extremepaint.biz

Back