Mamba 6800 in RC18T, lipo and charger?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhatman

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok guys, as of now i love this rc18 lots more than my one of the past. This 7 cell GP1100 pack that I made sure is awesome. Non-Stop wheelies, I'm saying 35+mph at least.

I'm considering maybe selling some of my other rc stuff and going to the max on this thing. What is a good, cheap lipo setup? I dont have a charger, but I could sell this one, and get one that does everything nimh, nicd, lipo... (I dont want to have to have a 12v power supply, want a standard wall outlet)

As far as batteries, i hear good things about 3s lipos in them. I dont want to have to cut the chassis up to fit a battery.

By the way, I'm running Mamba 6800 combo. Thanks!
-Pat

Ill be a lot smarter on this subject in a few weeks.
I just ordered, and should have my 18T with a MiniRage Brushless on Monday.
There are some lipos that say they are a direct fit into the 18 Series. I'm still in need of my kit to get here so I can measure the size of battery it will take.

I'm not sure if I want to make the lipo jump yet. From what I understand the brishless systems will run just fine on my existing battery packs and I have a lot invested in the cells and chargers.

I will have more of my findings in the weeks to follow.

There are quite a few packs on the market now that are a direct fit to the RC18T. www.b-p-p.com carries Thunder Power packs that fit the chassis perfectly.

If you want a lipo charger that plugs right into the wall, look at the MRC superbrain 989. It comes with a power supply and is reasonable priced. But if the only lipos that you plan on ever running are 3 cell packs, I'd also look at the cheaper dedicted lipo chargers (such as apache and thunder power) and combining them with an inexpensive power supply. You'll still need a lipo cell balancer regardless of the charger you choose.

One thing I have learned with lipos is get the best that you can afford. I started off with a Thunder Power 325, moved to a Triton, then my needs quickly moved me to a Hyperion EOS7i. Now that I am heading more towards the electric side of the hobby, I am considering upgrading once again to an E-station 902. Same goes for batteries. With lipos the weakest link in your system will be quickly revealed. Make sure you plan you system carefully and make sure that the batteries/charger, ESC, and gearing are all within the operating range of each other. Example, don't get an ESC that is only capable of 15 amps if your motor draws 30 amps...etc.

Last edited:
FastEddy said:
I'm not sure if I want to make the lipo jump yet. From what I understand the brishless systems will run just fine on my existing battery packs and I have a lot invested in the cells and chargers.

Welll, its just that I'm already getting used to the fast speeds... and i want more.. LOL. I tried the stock pack, and a generic 1100 8 cell. They dont compare to these GP1100's. And yea, wire thickness does matter quite a bit on the brushless mini's as well.

Thanks a lot for the advice so far, i appreciate it.

i ran 8 cell gp1100s with mamba 8000kv and it ripped it up with a duratrax peak charger, i tried lipos and it was too light and too much. I eventually went down to 6 cells.

FastEddy said:
Ill be a lot smarter on this subject in a few weeks.
I just ordered, and should have my 18T with a MiniRage Brushless on Monday.
There are some lipos that say they are a direct fit into the 18 Series. I'm still in need of my kit to get here so I can measure the size of battery it will take.

I will have more of my findings in the weeks to follow.

my novak ss 5800 ran like lightning in my tc3 with a set of reedy xmatched 3300s. so I'm sure youll be fine on nimh with yours.

Back