Losi LST XXL on its way

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOoSmOotH

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Won an auction yesterday on a losi XXL and its on its way. Got it for the cost of a roller. Has an HPI 5.9 on it. I am curious if I should stick with that motor or switch to something else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would suggest another motor. The K5.9 is thirsty and the quality is hit or miss. I'd say look into the LRP or maybe a good OS or even a Picco.

Nice! Those trucks are beasts. I have no experience with the 5.9 but from what I've heard are finicky, I'd take the money you saved since you said you got it for the price of a roller and put one of the motors suggested above. I was looking at a lrp30 to put in my aftershock before I sold it and bought a savage flux, love nitro but for the next 2 years I don't see much time for the hobby especially nitro with working part time and school full time.

Yea I will see how the motor works first. I do plan on getting the electric conversion for the winter months. I'm hoping the motor on it can get me through the season.

I have the 5.9 and it's a great motor once you seal it. I've had a good run with mine and when it does kick the bucket I'll be looking into the LRP .32.

I'm putting a Picco .28 on mine as soon as I get it modded by Robin but if you want something more budget friendly with good power Id look at the stock motor, its a rebadged LRP .28 spec 3. It ran as good or better than any other "budget cost" engine I've used.

Yea I have been looking at some of the chop shop motors in case the 5.9 sucks.

I don't think the LRP28 is enough with the stock tires. Then again... now that I think about it, I never tried with stock gearing. I ran at least +1 over stock on the LST2, I ran +3 with revo tires on it and it did really well. The stock tires just robbed so much power that I only ran them for about a tank or two. Hated how it handled and the sluggishness of it.

+1 on the stock tires, they do kill performance. As for the lrp .28, I'm still running mine with a 454 and revo "geodes", it rips with the 454 and stock gears. The 454 is basically the same as the lrp.
I would seal the 5.9 and see if it's worth a hoot, then let your budget decide which engine to get.

+1 on the stock tires, they do kill performance. As for the lrp .28, I'm still running mine with a 454 and revo "geodes", it rips with the 454 and stock gears.

Those are the same one I ran. I ran the talons too, but liked the geodes with the more aggressive tread. I ended up stopping driving the aftershock in favor of my revo/savage, so it spent the last year of it's live with talons.

I ran with an LRP28S3, gear flip mod in the trans and +2 pinions with the talons and geodes (tmaxx 3.3 I think, not the larger/softer ones from the crawler revo).

I think the gear flip puts the ratio at the axles about the same as the diffs from the XXL, or the trans gears... I know the XXL had different gearing in the diffs or the trans, but I can't remember which now.

A friend of mine ran the LRP30 in his with stock tires. It did better than the 28 did. Although, the load the stock tires put on the trans/two speed made the OWB slip and clutch not work as well. Was one of the odd design issues losi had. Once you went up in torque with a stronger engine, you started fighting the two speed mechanism when running larger tires.

When my xxl was new I couldn't keep a clutch or a slipper in it. Once I switched to the geodes I went with an m2c and a whole new spur/slipper/2 speed setup. Haven't had a problem since.....except for stripped out wheel hexes. I'm using traxxas wheels right now, but going to upgrade them soon.
Lighter wheels also made the stock steering components work much much better.

I have some tire options if I convert it to 17mm since I have an assortment at that size from my erevo. I also have a set of savage xl Tera pins as well I can try.

You'll need hexes from something with an 8mm shaft and I had to carve out the splines on my trx wheels to make them work.

Thanks for the link. I think once it comes in I will see how it runs with the stock setup although from the pics they look a little worn.

It's here!! Looks somewhat clean. I didn't get much of a chance to mess with it.

I haven't had any problems yet running the stock tires.
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like the 5.9 was already sealed so that was good. I will take some pics today. I was able to tune the high speed as it was really lean. There are no rear body posts and it looks like the body won't fit with the roll cage. Going to pick up a 2 stage air filter at the LHS and tidy it up.

Back