Losi Aftershock

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Thinking about buying a Losi Aftershock, I found a good deal on one online. How good are these trucks. I have owned an Lst truck but I only ran it a couple and my buddy bought from me. Is the Aftershock pretty much the same truck.

They use older weaker parts than the LST2 or XXL. Since it's becoming mildly difficult to find some of the almost necessary aftermarket items to make the LST platform stronger, you may want to look for something else.

The aftershock has different than the LST2/xxl:
arms that are thinner/narrower/weaker
rear turnbuckles that are not used on LST2/xxl
axle carriers/c-hubs (rear is totally different), axle bearings are smaller
axle cvd's are smaller and less robust
pipe is garbage
forward only trans without high low gears
smaller fuel tank
14mm hex's for wheels
shocks are plastic bodied
engine isn't great, but not bad
CB is smaller by 1T on 1st/2nd gear
2 speed owb hub/assembly is far weaker and prone to failure

Those are the things I can think of.

Does it use the LST1 parts Olds? If it does GPM and Hot Racing still have a better selection of hop ups still available for the LST1 than they do the LST2/XXL. Just a thought.

I found epig has several parts listed for sale. Can one not simply upgrade to LST2 parts or XXL parts. Are they not interchangeable between the diff trucks. I have seen some diff stuff online where people have upgraded to Lst2 parts and some xxl. I have been also looking at getting another MGT found a good price for one online in nice shape. I already have one mgt so I was looking at something diff. Been thinking about getting a Duratrax warhead. I had one of those a long time back. It was a pretty tough rig and would smoke my Savage X.

All the aftershock/LST1 parts can be upgraded to the lst2/xxl parts. That's what I did to my aftershock. I also upgraded my LST2 to the longer xxl chassis.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Does it use the LST1 parts Olds? If it does GPM and Hot Racing still have a better selection of hop ups still available for the LST1 than they do the LST2/XXL. Just a thought.

For the arms out to the wheel nuts, it's the same as the LST1. The two speed/trans is the same between LST1/LST2, but differs on the aftershock. First thing I'd upgrade would be the arms to LST1 arms with lunsford turnbuckles in the arms and the LST2/XL 2 speed assembly.

Later I'd upgrade the engine mount brace to a cnc vs cast version, lunsford turnbuckles for the front/rear (or stock up on stock ones as you will bust a few).

My aftershock was pretty bulletproof when I sold it.
RPM arms w/lunsford turnbuckles (Ran stock arms for break-in, installed RPM before I busted any. Busted 2 RPM turnbuckles and bent the other 2 within the first tank, replaced with lunsford and never looked back)

Lunsford turnbuckles all around (busted 5 or 6 stockers, one of which caused my front axle to turn so far that it busted the cvd... didn't want that again)

Roll bar I made

Center -> front alloy skid I made (got tired of replacing chassis rails every other outing)

17mm hubs (burned out 14mm hex's after installing LRP)

Dynamite CNC Engine Brace (busted 2 stockers)

LST2 2-speed (torched stocker when I installed the LRP)

LST2 pipe (never ran stock, took everones word on the fact that the stock pipe was junk)

4mm upper shock mount bolts (busted a few stockers before this upgrade)

RC Raven dual rate springs (yellow was too stiff, RC Raven was great)

carbon fiber brakes (stockers started to grab, so upgraded to a single 4mm CF and 176oz throttle/brake servo)

Alloy diff collars (broke 2 or 3 of these on the front before upgrading)

HD Diff upgrades (Never had issues, but upon maintenance, saw that the x pins were eating into the plastic. Ran original gears for 10+ gallons, did the upgrade 5 or 6 gallons in. Longest lasting diffs I've ever owned)

50K diff oil (didn't like open diffs with grease)

150cc LST2 tank (for more run time)

HD center skid that protects the pipe/spurs (bent a couple trans input shafts before getting that)

I also got a really nice chassis deck for very cheap on a sell out sale stormerhobbies had with Hardcore Racing titanium stuff. Paid $40 for a $200+ chassis. I don't think it was necessary... but mine was tweaked from busting the chassis rails 4 or 5 times before I installed the front->center skid. So I figured why not buy that vs replacing with stock.

I ran smaller tires/wheels on it as well, which created less leverage when I landed bad or hit something. I ran +2 pinions on an LST1 threaded bell. They were +2 over LST2 stock. Again, not a "necessary" change, but I ran it like I stole it and never bent/broke an RPM arm or lunsford turnbuckle or shock shaft. Not unlike my buddies that ran LST2's in stock form.

I ran stock everything else in stock form, c-hubs, axle carriers, chassis rails, shock towers, diff gears, spur gears, center and outer cvd's, header, steering servo setup, upper chassis plates/stand offs and trans (did a gear flip mod in the trans to add +1, but stock otherwise).

Last edited:
Back