Losi 350 Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayrc10

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi I'm new here, and i have a losi 8ight 2.0 RTR witht the losi 350 engine. When i try to start it, the flywheel gets stuck at TDC (really tight, the starter bx can't even turn it. burns the starter wheel rubber. i have to use a screwdriver to turn it) Happened only recently. used to run well. been sitting for a while without running. Tried starting it and the problems came up. Maybe the below is the reason.......not sure tho

I had to remove the sleeve out because i was completely removing the engine, and by mistake i scratched the top of the sleeve with the pliers (althoug they were covered in tape). It has some deep scratches on the outsside and inside walls. is this why the flwheel is not turning? Do i have to get another piston and sleeve? Will it then sort the problem?

Any info would be appreciated :D

A new engine will have a tight pinch causing what you're talking about. Correct break in will help with this. Usually you can help loosen the engine enough to run by heating it with a heat gun or blow dryer.

A new engine will have a tight pinch causing what you're talking about. Correct break in will help with this. Usually you can help loosen the engine enough to run by heating it with a heat gun or blow dryer.

Thanks for the repIy. tried heating with a hair dryer, but no luck. The starter box can't even turn it. What temp should i heat it upto btw?

Are you certain that the scratches mentioned have nothing to do with it?

The scratches may not be the problem, but it may be that the sleeve is installed incorrectly (backwards). As far as temps go try about 120º F.

Also, back out the glow plug 1/4 turn while you start it, then if it starts, tighten it back up while it's running.

what will happen if i do that? hydrolock? is there a way to check if i have overprimed?
If you over prime it, you will get hydro lock or an engine that won't start and is really difficult to turn over. You only need to prime enough to allow fuel to enter the engine.

If you over prime it, you will get hydro lock or an engine that won't start and is really difficult to turn over. You only need to prime enough to allow fuel to enter the engine.
but it wont prime if the piston gets stuck at TDC right? the piston has to do a full rotation right?

but it wont prime if the piston gets stuck at TDC right? the piston has to do a full rotation right?
True. Try this: take out the glow plug and turn the engine over- see if there is resistance throughout the cycle. There should be what's called "pinch"- that is resistance at the upper part of the cylinder. (Towards the top), however, this shouldn't be a huge amount and should only be noticeable towards the top of the cylinder.

Last edited:
True. Try this, take out the glow plgu and turn the engine over- is there resistance throughout the cycle. There should be whats called "pinch"- that is resistance at the upper part of the cylinder. (Towards the top), however, this shouldn't be a huge amount.
yes there is pinch at the top. (i think quite a lot) Thats where the piston gets stuck and the starter box can't turn the flyhweel anymore. I have to use a flat screwdriver to free the flywheel. Turn the flywheel again and gets stuck at the top again.

yes there is pinch at the top. (i think quite a lot) Thats where the piston gets stuck and the starter box can't turn the flyhweel anymore. I have to use a flat screwdriver to free the flywheel. Turn the flywheel again and gets stuck at the top again.
If the engine is getting stuck enough so that you can't turn it over even with the glow plug out, then, as hamz said, the sleeve may be installed backwards.

take out the glow plgu
I'm not sure what a glow plgu is.
If you're locking up try loosening the glow plgu to allow a little compression to escape. Now run it on the starter and see if it kicks over. When it starts, tighten the glow plgu back down.

I'm not sure what a glow plgu is.
If you're locking up try loosening the glow plgu to allow a little compression to escape. Now run it on the starter and see if it kicks over. When it starts, tighten the glow plgu back down.
Also, back out the glow plug 1/4 turn while you start it, then if it starts, tighten it back up while it's running.
My whole post doesn't make sense...
The worrying thing is, I read every post through before I post, that one included- so I must be going mad. Need to spend some time away from you before I go completely mad.

Is this with or without the glow glpu?

Last edited: