Looking for another Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCNUTZ

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Guys I'm looking at getting another Nitro MT. Reading about the Savage Spur gear issues? Reading about many faults with the MGT parts availability etc. Looking for something Durable yet with good parts support . Also took a look at the OFNA NITRO HYPER MT. Never owned an OFNA . How is their parts support? etc. My Son and I have a couple Revos and love 'em . Haven run our slayers yet waiting for warmer weather here. Whats the real scoop on the Savage the Savage XL bodies and parts available? MGT 4.6 and 8.0? I read that the traxxas revo and t-mass bodies will fit the MGT (very similar to the T-maxx) Had a couple of the Original T-maxxes back when they first came out. Looking to try something different. Please wiegh in with your thoughts and experiences with these trucks.

Thanks!

The spur gear acts as a weak link in the drivetrain. One can replace with steel but at $4 for a new spur, it can be replaced many times and with proper mesh they hold up well. The dual slipper clutch helps too.
There isn't many bodies made specifically for the extended chassis, but HPI and proline sell a few. 99% of other parts are interchangeable dating back to the Savage21, see the parts compatibility list https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/savage-x-parts-compatibility-list.42083/ I see this as a positive as parts and upgrades should be available indefinitely, especially with this trucks popularity. I don't think a person can go wrong with any Savage. I would have to say number 1 in that "durable with good parts support" group.
can't speak to the MGT or specifically the Hyper MT but OFNA makes quality products.

I really like the MGT though it is much bigger than the T-maxx. I've only had my MGT for about a month but it shifts great. I had a brain fart and did some damage to my engine. (completely my fault).. Very tough truck.. I am planning to upgrade the Engine to an LRP .32 For the money it is a good truck. 4.6 for less than a 2.5 T-Maxx..

The spur gear acts as a weak link in the drivetrain. One can replace with steel but at $4 for a new spur, it can be replaced many times and with proper mesh they hold up well. The dual slipper clutch helps too.
There isn't many bodies made specifically for the extended chassis, but HPI and proline sell a few. 99% of other parts are interchangeable dating back to the Savage21, see the parts compatibility list https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/savage-x-parts-compatibility-list.42083/ I see this as a positive as parts and upgrades should be available indefinitely, especially with this trucks popularity. I don't think a person can go wrong with any Savage. I would have to say number 1 in that "durable with good parts support" group.
can't speak to the MGT or specifically the Hyper MT but OFNA makes quality products.
I am liking the Savage Xl jsut only ever had one other HPI product it was a Nitro RS4 car kit I built back in the late 90's never needed support.

I am liking the Savage Xl jsut only ever had one other HPI product it was a Nitro RS4 car kit I built back in the late 90's never needed support.
also wondering if the XL needs the linkage updates with the OFNA parts I've read about . Steering servo etc.

Never had spur gear issues with any product but the LHS told me HPI Savage has issues with eating spur gears. thats why I asked.

Savages eat spurs due to poor mesh set up by inexperienced hobbiest. I have 3 savages and have owned them since 2003. I have replCed a total of. 5 spur gears.

Savages eat spurs due to poor mesh set up by inexperienced hobbiest. I have 3 savages and have owned them since 2003. I have replCed a total of. 5 spur gears.
That is Exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for.

I think I've got it narrowed down to two. The OFNA Hyper MT or the HPI Savage XL.
Kinda liked that OFNA Cage Plus though!

Last edited:

also wondering if the XL needs the linkage updates with the OFNA parts I've read about . Steering servo etc.

Never had spur gear issues with any product but the LHS told me HPI Savage has issues with eating spur gears. thats why I asked.

I still have my old RS4 MT from the same time, great chassis.

The stock linkage works, its just kinda cheesy. Many upgrade the stock steering servo and move it to throttle brake duties. With the added torque from the swap the OFNA mod becomes more desirable.
A good write up of the parts (with #'s) and steps needed:
http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/savage.ofna.throttle.html

And again like others said, set the mesh right and it will be fine. Use the paper method as instructed in HPI's manual.

Hope you find the right truck! *cough* Savage *cough*

The stock linkage works, its just kinda cheesy. Many upgrade the stock steering servo and move it to throttle brake duties. With the added torque from the swap the OFNA mod becomes more desirable.

And again like others said, set the mesh right and it will be fine. Use the paper method as instructed in HPI's manual.

I REMEMBER THE NITRO RS4MT WELL! it was like a four wheel drive stadium truck. I liked it alot

Thanks for that info!

Between the two that youve narrowed it down to Id go with the Savage myself.

And would you be set on the XL? I only ask because I think a possibly better route would be to buy a 4.6X at $150 less than a XL and do some FLM extended/XL length TVP's. I don't think the 5.9 is really anything to write home about. If more umph was desired, a guy could pull the 4.6 when new and sell it for $125+ and buy something along the lines of an LRP, OS, Picco, ect and be leaps and bounds ahead of a 5.9. 3 speeds are going for around $55 if that was also desired. The two speeds are going for around $22 if a person wanted to sell that too. The extended XL axles run about $30.

Only throwing it out there because I recently was deciding between picking up an X or XL. Not saying one is better than the other. Shoot, a Savage .21 is an awesome truck. And I know this would all require down time, but in the end a person would have quite the machine for around the same cost as a stock XL. Juss muh' :2cents:

And I looked a bit more at the Hyper MT, deff a cool truck, but Tower lists it for $20 more than an X, so I don't think I could justify it. But again, I have never driven one.
:cheers:

What parts are readily available at your lhs,...and what kind of terrain do you prefer for your next rig?

And would you be set on the XL? I only ask because I think a possibly better route would be to buy a 4.6X at $150 less than a XL and do some FLM extended/XL length TVP's. I don't think the 5.9 is really anything to write home about. If more umph was desired, a guy could pull the 4.6 when new and sell it for $125+ and buy something along the lines of an LRP, OS, Picco, ect and be leaps and bounds ahead of a 5.9. 3 speeds are going for around $55 if that was also desired. The two speeds are going for around $22 if a person wanted to sell that too. The extended XL axles run about $30.

Only throwing it out there because I recently was deciding between picking up an X or XL. Not saying one is better than the other. Shoot, a Savage .21 is an awesome truck. And I know this would all require down time, but in the end a person would have quite the machine for around the same cost as a stock XL. Juss muh' :2cents:

And I looked a bit more at the Hyper MT, deff a cool truck, but Tower lists it for $20 more than an X, so I don't think I could justify it. But again, I have never driven one.
:cheers:
I am set on the XL only because I have read in many many places and reviews that the Savage X handles and I Quote" Like a brick" "Doesn't Handle well" "Wouldnt run it on street cause it doesn't handle well and is fast" So therefore i am figuring that the Extended Chasis would give it better handling . Also i have read the stock steering servo is terrible on the X but the XL has a decent metal gear steering servo. the kit was surely considered cause I like to build now and then used to in the past and enjoyed it in the winter time. Looking for something that will hadle rough terrain yet handle decently . I dont expect it to handle like a Truggy but at lest like a t-maxx

What parts are readily available at your lhs,...and what kind of terrain do you prefer for your next rig?
MY LHS doesn't stock parts for either so both would be mail ordered. Thats also the reason why I ask opinions because MY LHS has nothing much in stock other than electric rtr cars and SC trucks. can't even eye-ball one or see how large it is in person.

My son and I have two Slayer Pros and two Revo 3.3s and for now we are Bashing only not on tracks etc. I am looking for something different than the Revos but yet something that has some pizzaz! (So to speak )maybe something that handles decently not great I know its a mt so I dont ecpect the world and of course durabilitiy is desired. Thats why I was thinking the XL with longer chasis wider stance should be at least a little better in the handling dept. The Savage is a different design. Some are now stating to sway me to consider an MGT also. But I always heard OFNA was a Durable brand and their new offering looks solid to me. at least by pictures

Last edited:

:cheers:[/QUO3 s
3 speed trans 56.99 chop shop
3 shoe alum clutch and vented clutch bell $39.49 Chop Shop
Extended Chasis kit $49.99 CHop Shop
Exteneded axles and drive cups $39.99 CHop Shop
RX Battery $15
266 oz steering servo $27.49 Chop Shop
all plus shipping

XL Just seems like better deal

X $135 less than XL at Tower hobbies
Not to mention steel spur gear

Ah I recalled them going for like 450, guess 460ish? haha Anyway I still couldn't bring my self to pay extra for a tvp kit that goes for 60 bucks online and to get an engine that was really not what it was cracked up to be. As was said, one could build a better XL for maybe just slightly more than a stock XL if they wanted to put in the time and effort, and no 3 speed worries as brought up in your other thread. But one could add the three speed if desired. By all means get the XL, I have many a friend with them and I love bashing them around, but id be lying if I said it was my idea to go the X route and convert while new.

Ah I recalled them going for like 450, guess 460ish? haha Anyway I still couldn't bring my self to pay extra for a tvp kit that goes for 60 bucks online and to get an engine that was really not what it was cracked up to be. As was said, one could build a better XL for maybe just slightly more than a stock XL if they wanted to put in the time and effort, and no 3 speed worries as brought up in your other thread. But one could add the three speed if desired. By all means get the XL, I have many a friend with them and I love bashing them around, but id be lying if I said it was my idea to go the X route and convert while new.
I truly value you're input I was just posting the logic behind me thinking the xl was more cost effective in the long run buy listing the cost of the differences now what I need to find out is if the xl handles better than the x and if so is it noticeable .

I said id pick the savage because I own an X SS and I had a .25 before that. Theyre tough as nails and their rep precedes them. OFNA I generally trust as a good company but outside of their buggies there not really known for much. I'm guessing it would be a decent kit but I know the savage is. Plus I'm betting the savage has way more aftermarket support. if you wanted a kit but wanted the advantages of the XL you could do the FLM extension as suggested above and get the parts from the XL that make it wider. I think mine cost around $20 or $30 bucks for the parts to make it wider? Then you have the best of both worlds. plus the engine is better than the XLs from what I've read (never owned an XL). The savage is a tank outta the box but it definitely isnt the mot nimble thing around. My LST2 and XXL are much nicer IMO but aftermarket support for them is dying off and i think the only thing that is even still being made is the XXL2 which is a gasser. If you want handling over out of the box beefiness then maybe a REVO would be a good choice?

Back