Let’s talk about Allen wrenches

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I've got a Dewalt and been doing it a long while lol so no stripped anything👍🏼
Wasn't trying to say you did bud... Sorry if you thought I was..I use 20v max dewalt impact driver and drill. It's all about throttle control.. I love dewalt tools and I have hilti power tools for work.
16338110308007836896996590316802.jpg

Was just saying it in general to be careful. A newb or someone else might read this thread. Think let's see what other guys are using for tools.And go ooo a drill I got one of those... then hes wondering why the screws don't get tight or just spin. Because he got his drill out and pulled the trigger and there goes his plastic thread on his parts..

Wasn't trying to say you did bud... Sorry if you thought I was..I use 20v max dewalt impact driver and drill. It's all about throttle control.. I love dewalt tools and I have hilti power tools for work.
View attachment 134720
Was just saying it in general to be careful. A newb or someone else might read this thread. Think let's see what other guys are using for tools.And go ooo a drill I got one of those... then hes wondering why the screws don't get tight or just spin. Because he got his drill out and pulled the trigger and there goes his plastic thread on his parts..
Yes absolutely, I know you didn't mean anything by it lol and took no offense👍🏼 I also just use my regular drill with very light grip and go slow as stripped screws or holes are no fun at all. Funny thing is the few screws I've ever stripped was by hand tightening 🤦

Yes absolutely, I know you didn't mean anything by it lol and took no offense👍🏼 I also just use my regular drill with very light grip and go slow as stripped screws or holes are no fun at all. Funny thing is the few screws I've ever stripped was by hand tightening 🤦
I use a little 4V Ryobi screwdriver with a clutch set to its lowest setting and I've still managed to screw a few holes here and there. The plastic shouldnt be that soft. At least i dont think it should be, but then again I'm not engineer either lol

What do you like?
Rolled Spring steel with precsion ground tips. When I first got in to the hobby I went through quite a few sets of wrenches because unfortunately they were all crappy die cast wrenches. Sure some of them tried using a different material for the tip or TiNi coating etc but in the end those were very minor improvements if at all. It wouldnt take maybe two to three months of wrenching before the tips would start to round off which Id noticed when my allen head screws were start to get tore up. Soon as I saw that happening Id check my tips and sure enough.... Just some of the sets I can remember running through were OFNA, Rubber handled Dynamite, Metal Handled Dynamite, Losi 8 in 1 (7 in 1? Something like that), Integy, Align, and there was some no nam brand crap I bought off of eBay once.

Then I discovered Hudy. Hudy was where I first leaned about rolled spring steel with ground tips but Hudy is like the Snap-On of the RC word. Everyone that I came across in various forums that had or had used Hudy all swore by them so I decided to try them out. Well needless to say I was shocked when I realized they were damn near $20 per wrench but I was tired of stripping screws and replacing wrenches so I decided to buy the two main sizes I used the most and give them a try. After about 6-8 months or so I was convinced that they were superior to all the others I had tried so I wanted more of them but back then my RC budget was a hell of a lot tighter than it is these days so after doing a little digging I found another company that made wrenches with rolled spring steel and ground tips called Team EDS. Team EDS wrenches were priced about half of what the Hudys were and much closer to the cost of most of the other die cast sets that I had used before so i decided to give them a try and bought a 4 piece metric set. When I first got them I compared them to my Hudys and the tips themselves were pretty much indistinguishable from the Hudy tips. I even read in one forum that they were made in the same factory as the Hudys were. I dont know if thats true but I couldnt tell the difference in them other than the handles being a bit different. Fast forward to 10-12 years later and not only is my original 4 piece metric set in near mint condition but I own probably 85+% of Team EDS's entire line of hand tools.

Everything with the red aluminum handles and the circled 1/4inch driver bit are all Team EDS View attachment 134697

Everything in the white 3D printed holder including 1/4 inch bits and turnbuckle wrenches are all Team EDS
View attachment 134698

and can't forget these two guys off by their lonesome in the corner of my pegboard. You used to be able to get them with custom engraving on the handles but they dont offer that anymore. :(
View attachment 134699

All that being said I've never looked back from Team EDS so I havent tried MIP, Wiha, or Bondhus even though I've always heard they are quality tools.

What don’t you like ?
i dont like die cast tips, rubber handles, or T shaped handles although those last 2 or just a personal preference of mine.

Who makes the best sets? Can they provide replacement blades?
The only 2 quality manufacturers I have first hand experience with is Hudy and Team EDS and they both have repalcement tips you can buy.

Can you use a grinder and reshape the tip so they can be used after there damaged?
I wouldnt think so because even if you had the ability to precision grind them youd have to take off material and then you would lose your tolerence for a snug and proper fit in the allen head. That being said I'm no expert in metalworking. Just an educated guess on my part.

When do you replace the tips?
when they start to get rounded but the only time I've ever had to replace tips on quality tools was when I broke two 1.5mm wrench tips trying to break red loctite free on a chassis brace.

And then there is the Allen bolts themselves.
Where do you get them?

My first go to is
https://www.microfasteners.com/

Second go to is
https://www.rtlfasteners.com/RC/r2.html

If I have to keep looking my next two stops are these
https://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx
and
https://www.mcmaster.com/

How do you sort and store them?
View attachment 134695
View attachment 134696

Are stainless better than black steel.
The only good thong about SS screws is they dont rust or corrode but I dont use them because they are much softer than the alloy steel screws.

Is titanium worth the price?
Dunno, never used them.

The Toolman Sensei...🤔...🤣🤣

The Toolman Sensei...🤔...🤣🤣
lol, I dont think so. I think that title goes to Kev. He schooled me on tools. I just drink the Team EDS koolaid 🤣

I'm sure MIP and bondhus etc are just as good or maybe even better but I know its hard to go wrong with EDS

lol, I dont think so. I think that title goes to Kev. He schooled me on tools. I just drink the Team EDS koolaid 🤣

I'm sure MIP and bondhus etc are just as good or maybe even better but I know its hard to go wrong with EDS
There are lots of high quality tools out there. Nobody can honestly say which brand is best unless they have spent a small fortune buying them all. I did have one drawer of my toolbox that had well over $10k in tools in it, but I am far from an expert. It's just the hobby industry and the manufacturing industry have different standards, though they share some of the same tools.

I really, really wish I needed to buy these other tools so I could see what my thoughts are on them. But I just don't need to. I used to do that in the past, but have since learned my lesson. If it ain't broke, don't fix it 😉

I'm absolutely no tool expert, but here are my experiences. I've had a tiny Hudy hex driver, I'd used during my 1/32 slotcar days, about 13 years ago, that still shows no signs of wear. I also have a Hot Racing 1.5mm driver for the past 10 years that still bites and works flawlessly. While not a hex driver, another favorite rc hand tool is my 10yo Wiha phillip screwdriver. Yep, it still also bites and works flawlessly on everything thrown at it!

It's the plastic compound they use. It's not what they should be using IMO.
I use a little 4V Ryobi screwdriver with a clutch set to its lowest setting and I've still managed to screw a few holes here and there. The plastic shouldnt be that soft. At least i dont think it should be, but then again I'm not engineer either lol
I agree about the plastic parts. There is definitely alot better composite compounds, nylons and fibers, they can be using to make the plastic parts. But sure that would then make them all more expensive for a plastic part. Honestly they should be using a threaded insert. Instead of threading the plastic...👍👍

There are lots of high quality tools out there. Nobody can honestly say which brand is best unless they have spent a small fortune buying them all. I did have one drawer of my toolbox that had well over $10k in tools in it, but I am far from an expert. It's just the hobby industry and the manufacturing industry have different standards, though they share some of the same tools.

I really, really wish I needed to buy these other tools so I could see what my thoughts are on them. But I just don't need to. I used to do that in the past, but have since learned my lesson. If it ain't broke, don't fix it 😉
I'm in the same boat. Over the years I've often thought of buying some MIP wrenches specifically to comapre the against the Team EDS for myself but I never do cuz I dont really need them. Id be buying them just for the sake of comapring them and then what? I'm either looking at replacing all of my good tools with slightly better ones or I end up with 4 wrenches that I never use. Just not worth spending the money on to me.

I'm in the same boat. Over the years I've often thought of buying some MIP wrenches specifically to comapre the against the Team EDS for myself but I never do cuz I dont really need them. Id be buying them just for the sake of comapring them and then what? I'm either looking at replacing all of my good tools with slightly better ones or I end up with 4 wrenches that I never use. Just not worth spending the money on to me.
Exactly. It is good that people can get a look at all the options with good recommendations and decide.

I have been eyeballing those Traxxas power driver tips. People in vids have been raving about them. But I have some nice Chinesium ones that are actually very nice quality. I think I am set for tools and can't think of anything else I really need. Just hoping something breaks so I can try something else LOL.

I'd used during my 1/32 slotcar days
Oh man I loved run slot cars. Got a whole tool box full of them. Group 20s wing bodies. Little bastards fly no brakes just throttle control.. man I might have to take a ride to the track soon. Give them a run. Lots of fun
learned my lesson. If it ain't broke, don't fix it 😉
I agree with that statement all day. And that's why my X is still stock. Haven't had any reason to change or replace anything yet. Got parts if I do. But until then it will stay just the way it is...But I do have a weakness for tools.. like they say "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR".
Not all people can afford the pricier things or tools or parts in any hobby or life in general. I totally understand that. But theres just certain things I would rather save up more $$$. To be able to buy the better stuff. In the long run you will end up saving $$$. Because you won't have to replace or buy it again for a while.... just my opinion..

Last edited:
Oh man I loved run slot cars. Got a whole tool box full of them. Group 20s wing bodies. Little bastards fly no brakes just throttle control.. man I might have to take a ride to the track soon. Give them a run. Lots of fun

I agree with that statement all day. And that's why my X is still stock. Haven't had any reason to change or replace anything yet. Got parts if I do. But until then it will stay just the way it is...But I do have a weakness for tools.. like they say "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR".
Not all people can afford the pricier things or tools or parts in any hobby or life in general. I totally understand that. But theres just certain things I would rather save up more $$$. To be able to buy the better stuff. In the long run you will end up saving $$$. Because you won't have to replace or buy it again for a while.... just my opinion..
I enjoy running scale models without magnets. I just never cared for models running on magnets or the hobby shop ones where all you see is a blur.

I enjoy running scale models without magnets. I just never cared for models running on magnets or the hobby shop ones where all you see is a blur.
Yeah I'm not a fan of magnets. I think it's kinda like cheating IMO... the group 20s are almost a blur. If you know your track you can almost drive with just looking straight ahead. Off throttle just before turn. Then hammer down. Get that timing down and you can fly around the track...👍🤣🤣🤣
Me and a few buddies went ever sat or Sunday mornings for a while. It was a blast

Yeah I'm not a fan of magnets. I think it's kinda like cheating IMO... the group 20s are almost a blur. If you know your track you can almost drive with just looking straight ahead. Off throttle just before turn. Then hammer down. Get that timing down and you can fly around the track...👍🤣🤣🤣
Me and a few buddies went ever sat or Sunday mornings for a while. It was a blast
This blurriness kinda gives me that motion sickness effect.

I got these all over 10 years ago (with the exception of the stand). I really like the Team Losi allens and nut drivers...not sure how they compare as far as quality to others since these are all I have used. Never had any issues with any of them.

RC Tools.jpg

Saw a few mentions of Hudy here, I didn't care for them. I tried their speed bits and plastic handled hex. All of them rounded off after a short time. Now I buy MIP speed bits and leave it at that.

I did get a set of PBSwiss bits to try, they are shorter and fit in my field bag ratchet handle. I don't use them much, but they seem decent.
https://shop.pbtools.us/PB-E6-210-1-4-Hex-Key-Power-Bits_c222.htm

If they die on me, I'll order a set of the EDS 1/4" bits for my field bag to see how they do.

I still have my Losi hand tools I bought over 20 years ago. I've only replaced the 2mm tip due to breaking it when prying something like an idiot. I have ground the tips down a hair with very low speed on my dremel once or twice on the 2mm and 2.5mm. I don't use the 1.5mm or 3mm a lot, but they are still like new.

Saw a few mentions of Hudy here, I didn't care for them. I tried their speed bits and plastic handled hex. All of them rounded off after a short time. Now I buy MIP speed bits and leave it at that.

I did get a set of PBSwiss bits to try, they are shorter and fit in my field bag ratchet handle. I don't use them much, but they seem decent.
https://shop.pbtools.us/PB-E6-210-1-4-Hex-Key-Power-Bits_c222.htm

If they die on me, I'll order a set of the EDS 1/4" bits for my field bag to see how they do.

I still have my Losi hand tools I bought over 20 years ago. I've only replaced the 2mm tip due to breaking it when prying something like an idiot. I have ground the tips down a hair with very low speed on my dremel once or twice on the 2mm and 2.5mm. I don't use the 1.5mm or 3mm a lot, but they are still like new.
PB Swiss makes nice stuff! Totally forgot about them.