Landslide gets 0 stars so far!!! What a joke !!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitroguy79

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I did full breakin holding the car up in the air by the handle because I didnt want to break it right away. Next Finally I completed burn in method and was about to do first true run on grass and gravel and thats when all hell broke loose. First what I believe is the flywheel roasted as the main gear on the engine turned but the plastic gear didnt bye bye about 6 teeth. Nothing was caught in the gear so I dont have a clue wth happen it simply didnt spin while at idle and ate it up. Next the link that goes from the steering servo came right apart and the screw is no where to be found. So in otherwords it ran great while I held it up during break in. Then come the time for my first run everything went to shiot!!! Needless to say I'm pissed and now I have to order parts. So I look in manual and it has every damn part for every type of vehicle class mostly showing the buggy parts which I dont need. So the truck sucks and when it breaks the damn book sucks for reference also. I'm very dissapointed in this piece of crap so far and if after I fix everything and rip it apart and loctite it all over it falls apart at idle again. The landslide will be at the landfill!!! I understand this hobby requires patience but damn when you pay 265 for a rtr that you do everything correct on you would think that they would have everything somewhat workable and get some runs out of it before crap starts falling off. I'm wishing I went electric as we speak becuase I had no issues with them. This is my first nitro and it hasnt been a pleasant one... Hope you guys have fun bashing while I will be ordering parts to fix this god blasted thing...:angry:

Ok.... Well that was an interesting post. All I can say is this: I am sorry to say that you didn't do EVERYTHING right. The break-in method you used surly didn't cause all your issues but it isn't the correct break-in method. What is your definition of full break-in? Revving up the engine with the wheels off the ground for five tanks?

I don't know a lot about the Landslide but Redcats seem to be decent rigs. I can't for the life of me figure out why you have so many issues...

I've never heard of a landslide. but i know you should be breaking in on the ground. the rig needs the resistance of driving in order to properly break in. if you could post up some pics of the issues you are having maybe we can help.

sounds like you stripped a spur gear. it could have been set to tight causing the clutch to get to hot and melt the spur.

the linkage, I'm not sure about. a pic would help!

Beason and RC Addict are right, you didn't do the break-in or setup correctly. Not trying to kick you while you're down so to speak but the problems you experienced could have occurred with any nitro, regardless of the brand, since you did many things wrong. That's okay, almost every person new to RC does (I sure did!).

Engine break-in: always break an engine in with wheels on the ground, whether you do the heat cycle or traditional method. As Beason pointed out the resistance is important, it helps to heat stress the engine and driveline parts and break them in correctly. It's also a good way to ensure your idle speed is set right, the car shouldn't move forward at idle.

The screws: Always *always* check all screws before you run your RC. Every time. Vibrations from running will cause screws to back out eventually and go poof when they back all the way out. Locktite metal to metal screws (blue not red).

Pinion/spur gear mesh: While RTR's are supposed to be gas n go, they are assembled by hand in most cases prior to shipping and humans make mistakes... not to mention any movement that could have occurred during shipping. When you get your replacement spur make sure your mesh between pinion & spur passes the "paper test". Put a piece of paper between the gears when you tighten things down. You should be able to pull the paper out with no tearing and the paper should look like an accordion. Too tight a mesh put strain on the driveline and will reduce engine life, to loose a fit will cause stripping. The Feb 2009 edition of RC Car Action has a nice pictorial & tips section about gear mesh gap in their Tech Center section.

The part # for the Landslide spur gear is 62007 for the 2-speed transmission. You can find all the part #'s and pics at http://redcatracing.com.

Sorry to hear you've had problems with your Landslide. I friend of mine owns 2 of them and they are really durable and reliable entry-level buggies.

Last edited: