Getting Discouraged

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie2

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
All right guys, here's what's happening today. I had the guy at the hobby store fix the transmission on my mgt4.60, the first and sceond gears had stripped.we couldn't find the parts for awhile. Finally got it back today it ran great for 2 tanks of fuel and then it acted like it was slipping. So I took it out and apart and found the shaft that gears ride on was snapped at the pin. What would cause this to happen. I took it easy because I was scared to break it again, just driving around the yard it was at the hobby store for 2 months 😡 I just wanna burn some nitro

Alot of weight and large tires with a torquey motor doung full throttle launches and landing a jump on the throttle is the fastest way.

Some cars become vintage. They are old and discontinued and parts become scarce. I have 3 hpi rs4s, ofna, and two traxxas nitros, all discontinued. My hpis, I spent atleast $500 getting spares.

With yours, it may be best to buy a current truck and sunday drive one loke this.

I was actually looking at MGT 8.0 on Ebay today.

Robinson Racing may have parts or parts that can work.

If it was me, I would check the tranny bearings while apart. One bearing can destroy a tranny.

I would like to add that the guys at the hobby store mean well but sometimes just aren't good mechanics. Working on RCs is mostly simple but there are some mechanical procedures that are very unforgiving and attention to the smallest details is absolute. Gearboxes and/or differentials definitely fall into this category. Buy a few tools, fire up YouTube, see if it's something your interested in learning and be your own "tech" lol. You'll try and fail a few times like anyone but I believe it's easier to do than most people think. I've had a wrench in my hand for well over 50 years and working on these tiny trucks was a natural extension for me but I've always tried to show simple procedures to people in the 1:1 car world and they always seem surprised at how easy some things are.
Spend that hobby shop $$$ on something worthwhile like hookers n blow. That's what I do.

I would like to add that the guys at the hobby store mean well but sometimes just aren't good mechanics. Working on RCs is mostly simple but there are some mechanical procedures that are very unforgiving and attention to the smallest details is absolute. Gearboxes and/or differentials definitely fall into this category. Buy a few tools, fire up YouTube, see if it's something your interested in learning and be your own "tech" lol. You'll try and fail a few times like anyone but I believe it's easier to do than most people think. I've had a wrench in my hand for well over 50 years and working on these tiny trucks was a natural extension for me but I've always tried to show simple procedures to people in the 1:1 car world and they always seem surprised at how easy some things are.
Spend that hobby shop $$$ on something worthwhile like hookers n blow. That's what I do.
🤣😂😂
Thanks for tge laugh.

I agree though. A new guy wont know much on an older truck. If you do it yourself you will know it better then the shop.

If you think about it, most hobby shops can't pay their employees much over minimum wage. You're not getting expertise at those rates. When I got back into rc, I realized right away that the only way I could keep playing was to get better at fixing what I break. I think you're coming to that same conclusion. Wrenching is half the hobby (probably way more than half for nitro).