Screws on diff rounded off

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NurturantQuasar

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
F1CFBD99-C593-4332-A3EB-B533D6EC50A2.jpeg
So I got all the parts to finally fix my Kysho outlaw. But in order to replace the stripped gear on the diff I need to first take the diff apart problem is the rocks that got into the drivetrain apparently banged around and messed up all the screw heads so I can’t get anything to fit. I’ve tried every size, every star bit, cleaning out the screws with green cleaner, even super gluing the bit to the screw and nothing gripped all of them are rounders and chipped. And guess what Kysho doesn’t make any diff replacements so whatever I do has to not hurt the differential or the plastic covers on it in any way. That means no dremaling a slot into the screw for a flathead. I’m at a loss idk what to do. Without the diff it just turns my Kysho into a super expensive display car. I definitely learned my lesson here and next time I buy a rc I’m gonna make sure there’s replacement parts for everything before I decide to buy it.

Edit: after watching a vid I realized that I got a defective product and the gear kit didn’t come with all the parts. I bought another l, dremaled a slot into and got out the screws and now things are going smooth.

Last edited:
I would use a speed out screw set. Basically a screw driver tip. Made with teeth in reverse to bit into a strip screw head. This is the one I use for that situation. Might need to find one for metric screws. Or for tiny screws...
Or use a very small metric drill bit and drill out the head of screw. So the one side will come off. Then you should be able to grab the rest of the screw.. you can also take measurements of that diff case. See if there's other one that matches it.. doesn't have to be a kyosho one. Just has to be the same case size...👍👍

Attachments

• 1635470251074956701503476522833.jpg
    1635470251074956701503476522833.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 1635470327138655363574571844572.jpg
    1635470327138655363574571844572.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 33
I would use a speed out screw set. Basically a screw driver tip. Made with teeth in reverse to bit into a strip screw head. This is the one I use for that situation. Might need to find one for metric screws. Or for tiny screws...
Good idea but that will have to wait quite awhile I’ve constantly dumped money into this Kysho I simply don’t have the funds to spend on anything more.

It looks like the holes are full of crud. Get a metal pic and clean them out real good. Then try using a torx wrench in them. Try to find a size that fits really snug. That will usually pull em out. You might try a little heat too from a soldering gun. Just watch don't get them too hot.

It looks like the holes are full of crud. Get a metal pic and clean them out real good. Then try using a torx wrench in them. Try to find a size that fits really snug. That will usually pull em out. You might try a little heat too from a soldering gun. Just watch don't get them too hot.
Yeah definitely don't want to start melting the plastic.
Hate to tell you man. This hobby loves your wallet. It's definitely not a cheap easy hobby that's for sure...
The screw removal kit I have was 10 15$ at lowes or homedeoot I forget. Needed it to get out the knuckle balls on my Tmaxx..

So I got all the parts to finally fix my Kysho outlaw. But in order to replace the stripped gear on the diff I need to first take the diff apart problem is the rocks that got into the drivetrain apparently banged around and messed up all the screw heads so I can’t get anything to fit. I’ve tried every size, every star bit, cleaning out the screws with green cleaner, even super gluing the bit to the screw and nothing gripped all of them are rounders and chipped. And guess what Kysho doesn’t make any diff replacements so whatever I do has to not hurt the differential or the plastic covers on it in any way. That means no dremaling a slot into the screw for a flathead. I’m at a loss idk what to do. Without the diff it just turns my Kysho into a super expensive display car. I definitely learned my lesson here and next time I buy a rc I’m gonna make sure there’s replacement parts for everything before I decide to buy it.
Isnt this the diff for that: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2647747468...DVcoaFztwzrt1oYGOuKWq15Qtd0cpdX0aAh6hEALw_wcB

I thought so to but I have the package right here with me and it’s not a diff just the gear that goes around the diff
There isn’t even a part number for it in the manual
What the gear that's around the diff. The gear and the casing is all one piece. That is the diff just doesn't have the internal gears. Like the spider gears.. I would send then a message and double check bud.. because it's going to be a fun time getting those screws out.. how did rocks get into the gear box?? That one has me a little baffled...

I thought so to but I have the package right here with me and it’s not a diff just the gear that goes around the diff
There isn’t even a part number for it in the manual
I don't understand what you mean there isn't a part number for it in the manual. This is all the part numbers. If you bought that set and all you got was a gear, you were sent the wrong item.
Screenshot_20211029-073236_Drive.jpg

And the screws will come out. You just need the right tools. Soak that in cleaner like simple green. Put a drop of PB Blaster on each screw and let it sit overnight. Then get a set of torx wrenches and find one that fits the screws.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean there isn't a part number for it in the manual. This is all the part numbers. If you bought that set and all you got was a gear, you were sent the wrong item.

And the screws will come out. You just need the right tools. Soak that in cleaner like simple green. Put a drop of PB Blaster on each screw and let it sit overnight. Then get a set of torx wrenches and find one that fits the screws.
To get the complete diff. you need to buy 5 separate parts bags. The 0L009 (circled in blue) is just the gear case. 0L018 (circled in red) comes with the internal gears. 0L016 (circled in black) comes with the outdrives, pins and O-rings. 0L017 (circled in yellow) is the gasket case. 1-S32608H (circled in purple) are the case screws. To make a complete diff, you need all of those parts.

Screenshot_20211029-073236_Drive.jpg

To get the complete diff. you need to buy 5 separate parts bags. The 0L009 (circled in blue) is just the gear case. 0L018 (circled in red) comes with the internal gears. 0L016 (circled in black) comes with the outdrives, pins and O-rings. 0L017 (circled in yellow) is the gasket case. 1-S32608H (circled in purple) are the case screws. To make a complete diff, you need all of those parts.

View attachment 135706
Yeah, I know what parts are needed for the whole diff. But he said he ordered 009 above and it's just a gear? I'm confused. If he just got a gear, he got the wrong part. Because 009 is the diff case/ring gear, and 3 other gears.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know what parts are needed for the whole diff. But he said he ordered 009 above and it's just a gear? I'm confused. If he just got a gear, he got the wrong part. Because 009 is the diff case/ring gear, and 3 other gears.
Big100 is confused. Wicked your rite.. the OP said it was just the gear that was around the diff.. read above. I even was confused by what the guy/kid said. The gear is apart of the diff case. It's not a gear that slides over the case.. its all one pc...