Just getting started

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerryyo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to get started in either Rc airplanes (jets) or rc trains. I am a beginner in both. Any opinions on which is easier to get started in would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!

if you go w planes invest in a flight simulator 1st

Real flight rc simulator is what I would recommend. It comes with a transmitter that feels like the real deal, this helps teach you muscle memory. This will save you tons of money in crashes. You can crash hundreds of times in the simulator and it only costs the price of the software.

Once you can consistently take off and land without crashing, you will be ready for the real deal. Also if you just want to go for it, I would suggest buying a high wing trainer before getting into ducted fan jets. There are certain basic skills that you should learn before buying more advanced aircraft. I know it's hard not to buy your favorite warbird or fighter jet in the beginning because dangit, they are just cool!

Also, If you have someone who can mentor you in person, that would be ideal.

So is a simulator like a video game? If I purchase a plane, with all the associated accessories including a simulator. Do you practice online?

If you buy Realflight, yes, you install it on your computer like a video game. I'm not sure if there is an online feature ( I have an older version) but the controller interacts with the computer.

Bummer. I don’t have a computer. Just a PlayStation 4 and an iPhone.

There are some flightsims for 4.dont know much about them. had a comp since 81.its kinds like a game but it will help you wiyj much needed skills . that if you dont learn before trying it in real life will cause damage to a plane might even total it.even made doggles for my radios so i could learn the controls better a,m.fm,.2.4