It's almost time for the dive.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candyman

'Cuse is in the house!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK, it's getting close to that time. I need an injection of life into my RC. And I'm thinking a crawler will be the next step. I've narrowed it down to 2 rigs and I just need to know what you all think.

1. The Axial ARTR. That's an obvious choice with the popularity and all the aftermarket support. I figure it's a no-brainer.

2. The Venom Creeper. Of all the other somewhat budget rides, this one looks the best to me. But I also know it's been in the public for less than a month and I haven't read any reviews on it yet. So what's the consensus in the crawler community? Is it good? Does it have good parts support? One thing I like is the remote locking diffs. From what I understand, that can give much more flexibility and adaptability as you move from obstacle to obstacle. But I'm wondering if it works in the real world.

I'm already checked out on the radio. I'm going to use my JR XR3i as I have an extra memory and a receiver ready. I could use some advice on what would be good electronics otherwise. Honestly, yes, I'm on a budget. And a quite tight one at that. I just need some good lines on a motor, ESC and servos that will work well but not break the bank. I assume I can use a standard servo and do ok. And I probably have a few lying around in my boxes. So if that'll work, then I'm set.
Let me know what you guys think.

I second the Venom for the fact that it is new and different, everyone has/had a axial...and its Venom so I'm sure it will be a pretty good quality built machine. the remote locking diffs is what has caught my eye with it as well...from the videos I've seen of it-it looks just as capable as the axial in stock form and I'm sure most of the mods doable to the axial will apply to the creeper as well...
So imo do it, get something different!! if i didnt have a berg id be all over the Venom...unless you want to wait for a while and get the losi but if you are like me you dont want to wait for ever for losi to actually put something out for sale...
and yeah any servo "will" work but you want as much torque as you can get...even though its not crazy torque the hi tec 645mg is a very popular choice for the low cost...for the buck id go with an Inteqy 45t motor...now for the esc, you should really spend alittle more here and get quality that will also give you many function such as a sidewinder or mamba. both can run 3s, and all the customizing of it is really sweet and really helps out in crawling imo. you will need a CC BEC too most likely if you go with them....worth it though.

Both rigs are sweet but I would set on my money till the Losi comes out.

Well, the Losi will hit me for at least $60 more, and I'm not all that concerned with whether it's a comp grade chassis at this point.

Another quick question. What's the difference between the AX-10 kit and the AX-10 ARTR? Aside from just being preassembled, that is. Are there any major differences in parts?

for motor/esc on a budget, you can't do much better than the Novak Rooter/55t crawler combo. about 105.00 out the door in most places. decent unit, 2S lipo shut off built in, nice drag brake, easy to program and setup.

main diff is in the rear axle. the artr comes with the rear axle locked out already installed. the kit has the same axles utilizing the rear axle stays holding the rear cvds straight. other than that the artr is already built and you have to build the kit.

I could use some advice on what would be good electronics otherwise. Honestly, yes, I'm on a budget. And a quite tight one at that. I just need some good lines on a motor, ESC and servos that will work well but not break the bank. I assume I can use a standard servo and do ok. And I probably have a few lying around in my boxes. So if that'll work, then I'm set.
Let me know what you guys think.

I am using a Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC and a Novak55 motor in my AX10 and I have been happy with it so far. I like the programming options of the sidewinder, with the the castle link and your pc you can really dial it in to your driving style. It's also nice that it will do brushed or brushless, so if you start brushed you can upgrade the motor later without having to replace the esc.

The AX10 does use standard sized servos, so if you got a decent high torque metal gear servo laying around you should be good to go.

Well, the Losi will hit me for at least $60 more, and I'm not all that concerned with whether it's a comp grade chassis at this point.

Another quick question. What's the difference between the AX-10 kit and the AX-10 ARTR? Aside from just being preassembled, that is. Are there any major differences in parts?
It's not just the chassis, for one you will not need a ESC with drag brake you will get great shocks from the start. To get the ax-10 even close to the Losi you would need to spen 220.00 easy.
You get losi Rock claws 40.00
Dig 120.00
Losi crawler shocks 60.00
for motor/esc on a budget, you can't do much better than the Novak Rooter/55t crawler combo. about 105.00 out the door in most places. decent unit, 2S lipo shut off built in, nice drag brake, easy to program and setup.
Sorry but a Rooster crawler just plain sucks, it glitches like crazy or at least the 3 I had did. For 105.00 you can get a sidewinder and a good motor and the sidewinder will handle 3s all day.

Last edited:
I got the axial artr and the guy that sold it to me didn't know of a difference other than the green anodizing vs. the orange and the fact that it was a kit. Both were the same price but had the different bodies. Other than that, neither had the motor or any electronics.
I got the orange. I'd seen too many in green. It's pretty amazing, but right now it's been torn down to a pile of parts as I build a new chassis for it to fit it into the Ugly Truckling.
It's a JOY to work on compared to the Savage.
It also takes a lot less time to wax. :D

Sorry but a Rooster crawler just plain sucks, it glitches like crazy or at least the 3 I had did. For 105.00 you can get a sidewinder and a good motor and the sidewinder will handle 3s all day.

WINNER WINNER!!! lol i hate the rooster, my buddy has it and i actually considered buying one but I'm so glad i didnt.

i agree the losi will be a bad ass rig BUT unless he is now thinking about the losi, he was deciding between the ax10 and creeper...wich from what I've seen and read i think the Venom will be better than the axial...atleast in stock form.

oh and on the kit, unless they have changed from when i bought my kit, the artr will have bent links, hammers instead of lizards, and straight axle rear, crawler body...

Last edited:
WINNER WINNER!!! lol i hate the rooster, my buddy has it and i actually considered buying one but I'm so glad i didnt.

i agree the losi will be a bad ass rig BUT unless he is now thinking about the losi, he was deciding between the ax10 and creeper...wich from what I've seen and read i think the Venom will be better than the axial...atleast in stock form.

oh and on the kit, unless they have changed from when i bought my kit, the artr will have bent links, hammers instead of lizards, and straight axle rear, crawler body...

The Venom is nice but just toooooo busy you would have to have a 6 channel radio for it :hehe::hehe:

I'm just diggin the fact that theres more variety now for guys starting crawling....wish there were more a year ago...lol.

You might want to keep an eye out for a nice complete used one...

I'm just diggin the fact that theres more variety now for guys starting crawling....wish there were more a year ago...lol.

You might want to keep an eye out for a nice complete used one...

Agreed !!!

I'm with Chip, Get the Losi. You get all the latest and greatest goodies that you will add to the ax10....Front and rear dig, worm drive, silky smooth shocks.

If you go with the Ax10 the arrt is a notch up on the rtr, plus the electrics in the rtr are pretty much junk.