Is the sh.28xm p8 any good?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be a solid budget engine. Most of the popular 8 port .28 budget engines are probably going to be rebadged SH .28 P8s. For example the LRP .28 Spec 4 is just a rebadged SH P8. I'm not too sure about now but 8-10 years ago a lot of the budget Taiwanese made .28s were just rebranded SHs. The Losi 454, LRP .28 spec 3, Dynamite had one...can't remember which one right off but there were a bunch of them.

I found THIS short review on the engine but I have no idea if this website gives honest reviews or if theyre a shill for SH but knowing what I know about the stuff from a decade ago I believe the review is probably pretty accurate.

Also if you're willing to wait on shipping from China you can buy that engine cheaper on AliExpress. LINK

Well for a BIG block you can't beat the price.. How good and reliable it is not sure never ran one.. But with putting a BB you will need a BB conversion kit also. And better gearing in the tranns. Along with CVDs which will add up. Did your 3.3 crap out? Or you looking for more speed or more tourqe, or all around power? There's alot to consider when going to a BB.. there's better options for the revo 3.3 IMO.. if l your just looking for more power and $$ isn't the question.. Then why don't you go with a drop in engine? The O.S engines are a drop in no other mounts needed..The .18tm and .21TM both have more power then the 3.3.. also can also go with the Pico .26. BB. Need the BB mount and different spur/pinon. To get the gear mesh correct... So the real ? Is what are you trying to do with your revo???

I'm going to PM him rite now about it to come check this out
I PM Baker about it.. Will see if he pops up. I personally would go with a drop in upgrade. It all depend what the OPer wants to do or wants to get out of the revo?? Tourqe , speed , or just more power overall. Or did the 3.3 take a 💩? Still have t heard back D lmao yet...

Last edited:
I dont know about the SH engines ,however ,the engines are only as good as your tuning skills are!
A 28 size engine in my opinion is kind of too extreme for the Revo an may just cause a further headache
down the road ,you would need to change the mount an probably the linkage ,an it would be harder on
the running gear as well ,may even have to beef up gears ,that being said ,to me it isnt worth it!

If I wanted more power with out over powering the other stuff ,I would just find a good 21 size engine ,
an one that I would trust!.. :thumbs-up:

Even the 3.3 is probably a good engine once you figure out what the engine needs ,
an what issue it may have ,but do feel that it is a tad under power for the weight
that it has to push on a Revo!.:cool:

Even the 3.3 is probably a good engine once you figure out what the engine needs ,
an what issue it may have ,but do feel that it is a tad under power for the weight
that it has to push on a Revo!.:cool:
That's for sure I got it in the Tmaxx. And it does ok. I haven't had any problems with it. But it is also a small block. Because traxxas likes to try and fool people. With the way they put out their measurements on the engines. Traxxas uses cubic inches where everyone else uses cubic centimeters and .. so it comes out around .19 and that would be small block in nitro engines..like a said above I would go with the O.S engine..

I've never run that specific SH engine, but I have run others. I've had their 28 sport blue head engine and the XTM24.7 which I think is just an SH and the old blackish/brown head 28 from many years ago. They were ok, but didn't have the longest lives. I'd usually get 5-6 gallons through them before they would start flaming out randomly due to lack of pinch. I had a couple repinched and got a few more gallons out of them before selling off whatever they were in.

I have a couple nitro revo's still. One with the 21TM (with THS low end tuned pipe) and one with an LRP 28 Spec3 (with THS big block pipe and modified header to fit). Both needed steel transmission gears. Even with the FOC, the gears would spit their teeth off after a short while. I thought the 21TM one would be ok, but the issue with it was the pins on the final output gears would rip through the plastic gear and destroy it. After having the trans apart the 3rd or 4th time, I gave up and threw RRP steel in it.

The only big block mounts I've used were the new era leaner mount that would let you fit any big block in it by raising the engine and tilting it a lot to clear the rear arm. I also had a mount made by a guy on here many years ago as he gave me a free prototype after I let him borrow my mount for a while to get measurements. They are hard to find these days though.

I tried the 3.3 in a revo and to me, it was just a dud. Tried the THS low end pipe on it, it helped, but not much. I had gotten the truck used, so I wasn't sure how good the engine was. After fighting with it a while, I got a new 3.3 and found that it performed the same. Just did not give me the power I wanted to run in grass. Was ok on pavement and at skate parks, but just weak on torque in the grass, so I'd have to gear it down quite a bit to make it mildly entertaining to drive. I had an old 18TM on hand that I had run in a previous revo that I sold off and threw it in. Even with 10+ gallons through it, it performed far better than the new 3.3 with only a couple gallons on it. That's when I got the 21Tm for it. It's no stump puller, but it does pretty good.

I cut a few fins off the cooling head of the LRP28S3 so it would be lower than the wing/roll bar when landing on the roof. It still ran cool enough though.
2019-0128-RevoBB-ModifiedHeaderTop.jpg

2020-0723-BBRevo-RCRavenSprings-engineSide.jpg

My 21TM revo:
2019-0815-Revo21TM-Side.jpg

Last edited:
I've never run that specific SH engine, but I have run others. I've had their 28 sport blue head engine and the XTM24.7 which I think is just an SH and the old blackish/brown head 28 from many years ago. They were ok, but didn't have the longest lives. I'd usually get 5-6 gallons through them before they would start flaming out randomly due to lack of pinch. I had a couple repinched and got a few more gallons out of them before selling off whatever they were in.

I have a couple nitro revo's still. One with the 21TM (with THS low end tuned pipe) and one with an LRP 28 Spec3 (with THS big block pipe and modified header to fit). Both needed steel transmission gears. Even with the FOC, the gears would spit their teeth off after a short while. I thought the 21TM one would be ok, but the issue with it was the pins on the final output gears would rip through the plastic gear and destroy it. After having the trans apart the 3rd or 4th time, I gave up and threw RRP steel in it.

The only big block mounts I've used were the new era leaner mount that would let you fit any big block in it by raising the engine and tilting it a lot to clear the rear arm. I also had a mount made by a guy on here many years ago as he gave me a free prototype after I let him borrow my mount for a while to get measurements. They are hard to find these days though.

I tried the 3.3 in a revo and to me, it was just a dud. Tried the THS low end pipe on it, it helped, but not much. I had gotten the truck used, so I wasn't sure how good the engine was. After fighting with it a while, I got a new 3.3 and found that it performed the same. Just did not give me the power I wanted to run in grass. Was ok on pavement and at skate parks, but just weak on torque in the grass, so I'd have to gear it down quite a bit to make it mildly entertaining to drive. I had an old 18TM on hand that I had run in a previous revo that I sold off and threw it in. Even with 10+ gallons through it, it performed far better than the new 3.3 with only a couple gallons on it. That's when I got the 21Tm for it. It's no stump puller, but it does pretty good.

I cut a few fins off the cooling head of the LRP28S3 so it would be lower than the wing/roll bar when landing on the roof. It still ran cool enough though.

My 21TM revo:
The LRP28S3 was a rebadged SH .28 though was it not? I mean not the specific one the OPs talking about but one of their older engines I thought? I seem to recall a whole slew of engines in teh $150-$200 price point about 10-12 years back that were all just rebadged from the same SH .28. Like the Losi 454...can't recall the others.

The LRP28S3 was a rebadged SH .28 though was it not? I mean not the specific one the OPs talking about but one of their older engines I thought? I seem to recall a whole slew of engines in teh $150-$200 price point about 10-12 years back that were all just rebadged from the same SH .28. Like the Losi 454...can't recall the others.
Probably, but it performs a lot better than any of the SH sport engines I had in the past. Also keeps the pinch far longer. I probably have 8+ gallons through the one in my revo and it still runs like a top. I had even more through one quite a few years back on my losi aftershock. I had 7 or 8 through that one and sold the truck off. I lost touch with the new owner after he put another 3-4 through it.

A lot of those engines were made at the same place I think. Dynamite, SH, XTM, Losi, etc. Oddly though, things like the starter and owb weren't interchangeable across all, so not sure if they were made at the same place with different specs from whomever was branding them or what.

Probably, but it performs a lot better than any of the SH sport engines I had in the past. Also keeps the pinch far longer. I probably have 8+ gallons through the one in my revo and it still runs like a top. I had even more through one quite a few years back on my losi aftershock. I had 7 or 8 through that one and sold the truck off. I lost touch with the new owner after he put another 3-4 through it.

A lot of those engines were made at the same place I think. Dynamite, SH, XTM, Losi, etc. Oddly though, things like the starter and owb weren't interchangeable across all, so not sure if they were made at the same place with different specs from whomever was branding them or what.
Hmmm hard to say. I didnt realize that about the OWB and what not being interchangeable across them all. Like with any budegt engines if it was based on a particular SH engine then it could have just been one that was particularly good compared to other models too.

I've got the SH .28 p8 and the SH .28 p3 in my Fire and Ice Dragonoid solid axle 1/8th scale MT's. Both provide big power and torque, enough that it has demolished more than a few steel CVD swing an drive shafts, which are much stronger than what a stock Revo has. It's honestly more power than I can really use, most of my MT racing seems to be lightly blipping the throttle around the track, anything more than half throttle will send those 13 lb trucks into cyclones on dirt surfaces.

I can't even image what kind of damage a stock Revo drivetrain would sustain with that kind of power. If you're really set on a big block, there are plenty of .21 options out there, and some .25/.26 as well.

Personally I'd go for an OS .21 tm, it's a straight drop in, and a big power upgrade over the 3.3, so you'd probably still want some better shafts. I saw a guy drag racing a Revo with a well tuned O.S .21 tm and it had enough power that it was smoking four tires out of the gates and hard for him to control.

Yup, I've noticed that as well and wondered the same thing.

My 21TM revo:
Wow!!! That's a crazy angle that engine is sitting at. That's determination rite there. Nice work bud 👍👍. And even with the RPM arms. Dam that's a crazy tight fit.. and a sweet mount. For it to sit in That's awesome😍👍👍

Wow!!! That's a crazy angle that engine is sitting at. That's determination rite there. Nice work bud 👍👍. And even with the RPM arms. Dam that's a crazy tight fit.. and a sweet mount. For it to sit in That's awesome😍👍👍
Kind of why everyone then referred to the new era mount as the "leaner" mount. :)

I've got the SH .28 p8 and the SH .28 p3 in my Fire and Ice Dragonoid solid axle 1/8th scale MT's. Both provide big power and torque, enough that it has demolished more than a few steel CVD swing an drive shafts, which are much stronger than what a stock Revo has. It's honestly more power than I can really use, most of my MT racing seems to be lightly blipping the throttle around the track, anything more than half throttle will send those 13 lb trucks into cyclones on dirt surfaces.

I can't even image what kind of damage a stock Revo drivetrain would sustain with that kind of power. If you're really set on a big block, there are plenty of .21 options out there, and some .25/.26 as well.

Personally I'd go for an OS .21 tm, it's a straight drop in, and a big power upgrade over the 3.3, so you'd probably still want some better shafts. I saw a guy drag racing a Revo with a well tuned O.S .21 tm and it had enough power that it was smoking four tires out of the gates and hard for him to control.

The stock plastic gears don't last a chance in the Revo.With a big block jammed into it... Like you said about the one that Drag raced the revo.. The revo will probably be all over the place also with the big block... would definitely put in all steel gears and CVDs in it......DAM.. shredding steel cvd's thats some tourqe and power those SH .28s put out..😲😲 those trucks must be stupid fast.... 🤪 love it...
Kind of why everyone then referred to the new era mount as the "leaner" mount. :)
That's awesome man👍👍 I want one just to have one.. The look alone is pretty dam cool.. and to jam a nitro in it is SWEET... never saw a basket/cradle mount.. I like that very cool👍👍👍👍 well I had the Tmaxx 2.5 and 3.3. Only recently got the Merv. So that don't count 🤣🤣 very cool bud 👍👍

Last edited:
My opinion ,I wouldnt mess with a SH engine ,I would do a Hoboa Hyper engine for a low cost
budget engine before I would buy that!
Why ,because I already know the performance & reliability of the Hyper engines ,an I just
bought one ,an fixing to do the break-in on it here in a few days!.. :thumbs-up:
Even though this engine is for a starter box ,they make the pull start version an it has the
turbo o-way bearing inside in which is a finned like fan that helps circulate the fuel!..:cool:

Last edited:

I had an OS .21tm in a Losi Ten-T once. That thing was stupid powerful in that rig. It sounds like its probably what I would put in a revo too....unless you can build the REVO up to handle that power and then I might go with the .28

My opinion ,I wouldnt mess with a SH engine ,I would do a Hoboa Hyper engine for a low cost
budget engine before I would buy that!
Why ,because I already know the performance & reliability of the Hyper engines ,an I just
bought one ,an fixing to do the break-in on it here in a few days!.. :thumbs-up:
Even though this engine is for a starter box ,they make the pull start version an it has the
turbo o-way bearing inside in which is a finned like fan that helps circulate the fuel!..:cool:

Does HoBoa make a .28 version of that engine or any good quality .28s?