Integy piggy back shocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmoyer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
are the integy piggy back shocks any good?? i saw the post on the hpi threaded shocks and i was wondering which are better, either the piggy back or hpi threaded shocks..

Thanx

Keith

I haven't heard many good things on Piggy backs except from a few people. I heard the bladders aren't Strong enough and the shafts are weak. Do more research as you may be buying more of a gimmick more than an upgrade.

Jon

does a piggy back shock do that much for these trucks. it seems like more show than anything. there useful on a 4-wheeler but i don't think they would do theat much for something with so little fluid.

Well supposedly they are supposed to be able to take more fluid as to help with more dampening when taking large scale jumps. On my Tmaxx I took big jumps and had only 4 Buggy shocks on each corner. Worked well for me. I am considering doing the same thing but 8. I saw it somewhere here on the forum where someone did that and the results were good.

I think its more Bling than a useful thing

Jon

ok what type of buggy shocks do u have and what do u think is the best for my savage???

Kyosho
none other

I do also have a set of the MSR4 PB shocks and I like them as well...they do actually keep the bladders from blowing out and they have the same thickness piston shaft as the 1/8 scale shocks......I put rpm dual stage pistons in them but had to sand the piss off of em to make them fit.......they work really well on my T-maxx that's set up fro track and street......all I do is change the position of the bottom of the shock to the furthest out from the chassis and I'm in street mode...but they do seem to do what they say....the piggyback is actually filled w/ a foam insert so the oil doesn't collect in there and take away from the main reservoir......it costs a little more to do the 4 kyosho shocks but if your going big jumping you really need 8.....well I might set mine up a little soft.....Jon how do you set up yours (oil wt. and spring type) for a 4 shock set up....

For the Shocks I used Unlimited Engineering shocks with 35 wt Shock oil all around and Kyosho/ Ofna White stiff springs.

I did not know there was foam in the resevoir.Hmm Learned something new today

I took massive jumps with My MGT but on that one since it is a bigger rig I used all 8. No problem.

The Tmaxx only 4 and had no issues with dampenin. Just make sure you uncompress the spring and elevate your ride so the shocks get a break when not in use.

I know the MSR4's on a maxx are junk. The way they were designed inside sucked. Instead of having a threaded tip with a mini locknut holding the disk inside, they use a c-clip. To me, that just screams "CHEAP SHOCKS". Pretty much every shock I've had that was designed that way, be it on the maxx or savage, broke without much effort.

I run the UE SuperMaxx shocks as well with 40weight, navy blue springs all around (i think, shock covers make it hard to remember). I only run 4 and I beat the living crap out of my savage. I've had them on it almost all summer (7 gallons of fuel) and I only broke one once. The disk inside snapped in half. 12 feet of air, 65 weight oil... you do the math. Something had to give and apparently it was the shock on the first tire that touched the ground upon impact.

The downside of running buggy shocks (or something like them) is that you need to get nova shock towers or new era upper arms with shock mounts. I have the arms and really like them, but being a basher, I don't need a lot of tuning options. A racer on the other hand would probably be better suited with the Nova towers for a much broader range of tuning choices.

Hey Olds Since you are using UE shocks can you post a pic up of your set up? I got a savage roller and want to get the best for it as I want to push that thing to the limit!!!Heck past it if anything.

Thanks
Jon

I have a lot of them around here, but what the hell, I like picture threads!

These were from July when I was running without shock socks and was running heavy black springs with 65 weight oil. Way to stiff. This is what I broke a disk with and it also made the truck very bouncy.

2004-0727-SavageFrontLow.JPG

2004-0727-SavageTankEngine.JPG

These are relatively recent. I think I'm running the UE navy blue springs that came with them, but now I'm running 40 weight oil. Much more plush and it rides just a littler taller than level arms:
2004-1113-SavageExhaustSide.jpg

2004-1113-SavageEscaladeRear01.jpg

I don't think you can comfortably fit 8 shocks on it, at least 4 on the rear. Not with the New Era arms. The shocks are too fat. They rub on the header and would probably rub on the fuel tank. I held another set up in the place by the header after I parted out my t-maxx (i was running 4 on it as well, but I kept the shocks) and I just don't think there's room to run it safely without mashing up the header and having the shock rub quite a bit.

I want to get better suspension and I didn't think that UE shocks would work as the UE shocks are more on the size of Stock maxx shocks. I also want to be able to have more suspension tunability. The stock Savage 25 ones just plain suck. Whats up with that? HPI can you hear me? Better get it right when the Savage 28 hits the shelves!

Skip, a new member has some really cool beefy shocks on his race Savage. I want to get durability along with performance tunability. I can't tell but you are using Nova towers. Are they aluminum?

Great looking truck..love the automotive clamps.

Jon

The shocks work fine on the savage. It still has pretty much the same travel as the stock long shocks, just shorter, beefier and better!

It will still bottom out and if you have all black springs, it will stand tall at full arm extension with 4 shocks.

The Nova towers are made of 7075 aluminum I think... Can't remember.

You can buy a UE shock/Nova kit here: http://www.hobbyshopnj.com/Savage21/

That's where I bought my shocks, but my arms, I got from www.newera.com

Like I said though, you don't get much tunability with the NewEra arms... as you can see in my pics, you have 3 holes to choose from and they really only work well in the furthest out hole IMHO.

Ok that is great info. LOL I just sold my UE shocks to Zandor. Didn't think that I would need em but Zandors my bro so that just means some thing BRAND new for me!!!

I don't mind if there isn't much tunability with the New Era ones just like to have the option.

Thanks for the info. I will post pics of my tear down. Looks like I will be getting a camera soon.WOO HOO.

jon2 said:
For the Shocks I used Unlimited Engineering shocks with 35 wt Shock oil all around and Kyosho/ Ofna White stiff springs.

I did not know there was foam in the resevoir.Hmm Learned something new today

I took massive jumps with My MGT but on that one since it is a bigger rig I used all 8. No problem.

The Tmaxx only 4 and had no issues with dampenin. Just make sure you uncompress the spring and elevate your ride so the shocks get a break when not in use.

i just looked at unlimited engineering and all the had was maxx stuff will it still fit the Savage??

Then you must not have read or noticed in the pictures that I'm using non-stock upper arms to accomadate shorter shocks or explained the Nova shock towers can be used instead of NewEra upper arms.

This was post #12 in this thread...

olds97_lss said:
The shocks work fine on the savage. It still has pretty much the same travel as the stock long shocks, just shorter, beefier and better!

It will still bottom out and if you have all black springs, it will stand tall at full arm extension with 4 shocks.

The Nova towers are made of 7075 aluminum I think... Can't remember.

You can buy a UE shock/Nova kit here: http://www.hobbyshopnj.com/Savage21/

That's where I bought my shocks, but my arms, I got from www.newera.com

Like I said though, you don't get much tunability with the NewEra arms... as you can see in my pics, you have 3 holes to choose from and they really only work well in the furthest out hole IMHO.

Oops Sorry I missed that. A little too excited on my side since I got the savage. Thanks for pointing it out to me. LOL I wear glasses too.

just in case you guys wanted to know you can get those "SUPERMAXX" shocks on e-bay for around $50 for a set of 4....they are Ofna pro shocks...UE says they modified them but I have a set of OFNA and UE shocks and they are identical......I like the kyosho ones cause they can take some pounding and the seals don't break....I've blown out the bottom cartridge (that group of bushings in the bottom) because Kyosho uses a wire spring sort of clip instead of that E clip in UEs......but the shocks just went right back together and are smooth as silk.......5 min fix and I was back in the game......the upper bladders that kyosho makes seem to hold very well so I put those in my OFNA shocks too.....

I don't use the bladders in one of my sets anymore... I figured losi shocks (ST's) don't use bladders, why bother? And they work just fine after pumping the suspension a couple times prior to use.

As for them being identical... I don't think they are. The OFNA shock shafts are about 2mm shorter, but asside from that, they probably are the same. I bought a couple of OFNA shafts once when I was placing an order at tower for some other crap. After compairing the two, the shafts were definitly shorter. Not enough that I care though... I just changed the shafts on two shocks and ran them on the same end of the truck.

What's 2mm to a basher? It's called "Good Enough!" :)

well I'm rele looking in to geting shocks and i dont wanna go throught he hassel of buy more then jsut shocks like the supermaxx ones so are there anyother good ones for around the same price range as the supermaxx