Friction vs Oil Shocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Explain pros and cons and what you like
What would be better for a TT02?
I believe it comes with friction shocks?
Only had experience with oil shocks and off-road before.

(TT02 Onroad TC kit, not a rally)

Also, is there any like needed upgrades? Watched a lot of YT videos and I seen that the dogbones like to pop out if you hit anything. Maybe upgrade those to CVDs or something? What are setups like for shock oils, diff oils and camber and such? Ride height?

Last edited:
I currently own a TT01 and have raced it in the Euro Truck class for oval racing. I am not sure what's different between the TT01 and TT02, but I suspect both share the same limitations to be competitive.

These designs are ancient and are borderline toy grade, unless you're running them in a spec TT02 class, they won't stand a chance against any modern design.

First thing I did was modify the chassis to accept a shorty and positioned it as far to the rear of the chassis as possible to maximize rear grip:
1709650635853.png

I mounted a scrap block plastic under the battery strap to prevent the battery from sliding forward:
1709650740187.png

I installed a locked spool on the front diff and with no rear sealed diff and no fluid filled shocks, the tuning options are abysmal. Theres virtually no tuning options to adjust roll centers and no sway bars essentially making this car a turd to drive :(

I found it necessary to modify the steering linkage to get the link somewhat linear which is just a horrible design and prone to stripping out:
1709650941566.png

What about a full size stick pack instead of a shorty pack? I got both. And used both in my slash and rustler. Stick pack does have more weight. Shorty has less weight. Used spare rolls of tire foam to get my shorty pack all the way in the front of the battery tray.

Being competitive, ehh. If my local road track had TT02 stock class I would love that. But other than that, it would mostly be like a parking lot basher and show car (well shelf car)

A shorty pack will give you options to transfer the weight to suit your needs, if grip is high then move the pack forward to get more corner rotation, if grip is low, then move the pack back to make the car more planted in the corners. A stick pack will limit tuning and the extra weight will make the car accelerate slower. Top speed will be the same, but the key is making your car get to that top speed faster ;)

I currently own a TT01 and have raced it in the Euro Truck class for oval racing. I am not sure what's different between the TT01 and TT02, but I suspect both share the same limitations to be competitive.
The main differences are that the TT02 has a sturdier driveshaft out of the box, can be setup for "rally mode", and it has a slightly higher top speed.

On the other hand, the stock steering on the TT02 is significantly worse, as is the upper suspension arm design.

But other than that, it would mostly be like a parking lot basher and show car (well shelf car)
If you're just running around on a parking lot go with bearings and a steel or coated aluminum pinion, save up for a better chassis. Oil filled shocks are nice, but not worth buying for a TT02 imo.

Also, either cut up your own plastic horn or glue the kit servo saver, or you'll find yourself unable to go straight.

Back