I need to find a great durable off road electric KIT.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davee930

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have been looking everywhere for a good kit to build.

I want to mostly take it on and off curbs, on trails with the dogs and have a couple Gopros attached to it.

Looking for a basher or fast crawler.

Something like the XL Yeti would be perfect in kit form.

Can anyone help?

Kits aren't the norm these days, and then wanting a 1/8 scale rock racer on top of that... that's a tough one. I'd look in the direction of a 1/8 scale buggy to build, and modify it into a DB (desert buggy) with some other platform's roll cage, or maybe do a monster buggy. Better yet, a monster truggy.

Yes! that would be perfect! I just bought the Axial Capra kit.

Will this be good for some speed when I want it? Nothing crazy.

Or should I cancel it if there's a better option??

Why aren't kits available?? Save the money and don't hire someone to assemble them.. Is this generation really that useless?

There are a ton of great kits out there. It boils down to how much you are willing to pay, Nitro or Electric, Scale, 2wd or 4wd, and buggy or truck.

Why aren't kits available?? Save the money and don't hire someone to assemble them.. Is this generation really that useless?
It more so boils down to QC issues as it's a lot to have to make sure hundreds of tiny pieces are all included and not missed in assembly and packaging. A lot of big name companies won't even consider it as again the QC would be an absolute nightmare and take way longer than checking over a rtr rig.

There are a ton of great kits out there. It boils down to how much you are willing to pay, Nitro or Electric, Scale, 2wd or 4wd, and buggy or truck.
I'm looking for 2wd electric set up for speed and durable for bashing fast turns and made pick up speed ... let me know couple recommendations and the best combos you recommend

Take a look at the Tekno SCT410.3, $360. Needs body and wheels/tires, and there are lots of SCT body choices. Truck is tank tough, but still performs great on 2s/3s.

1/10 is a good size for yard and small park bashing. Throw on some 2.8mt tires, and a 1/10 truck can run almost anywhere.

For 1/8, you really need a good amount of room, and no little kids running around. My Kraton and Outcast can cover a huge amount of ground quickly, and draw kids like mosquitos to a campfire. I have never hit one, but I'd hate to think what a 50mph 8lb truggy would do to a kid I didn't see.

If you have a good space to run them, though, a 1/8 truggy is the Ultimate basher.

Kits aren't the norm these days, and then wanting a 1/8 scale rock racer on top of that... that's a tough one. I'd look in the direction of a 1/8 scale buggy to build, and modify it into a DB (desert buggy) with some other platform's roll cage, or maybe do a monster buggy. Better yet, a monster truggy.

Yes! that would be perfect! I just bought the Axial Capra kit.

Will this be good for some speed when I want it? Nothing crazy.

Or should I cancel it if there's a better option??

I never said kits are not available. Kits are readily available. It's just that when you check out an online hobby store, and click on unassembled RCs, the choices may not be there, or a style of RC a person has in mind may be limited. The RTR RCs usually group together a mediocre electronics package to bring forth a lower attractive price point the masses.

When I look at a RTR platform that catches my eye, I immediately see myself taking the radio, receiver, and servo out of the RC and reselling them. This is usually where I tell myself to just buy a kit, and put the gear, that I want, in it.

All depends on what a person wants. For me, I almost always seek out racing breed RC kits for my bashing pleasure. They often have the best shocks. Having great shocks is at the top of my "must have" list when I go shopping for a RC.

Back