I have a question about Receiver Binding

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Receiver Binding question. Are there any rules for what type of receiver can be bound to what type of transmitter? Like can a 3 ch Receiver be bound to a 5 ch radio and vise versa and so on. I have a Arrma ARX 100 3ch Receiver and I was wanting to see if it will bind to a Radiolink RC4GS 5ch radio, I have never tried cross binding radio brands.

On those particular brands I couldn't tell you if they would bind.
For the most part they have to be the same manufacturer. Some may bind, I honestly don't know.
You can use different channel receivers.
When I purchase transmitters, I make sure I buy the transmitter that comes with the receiver.

Every OEM is unique and generally you can't mix/match major brands.

HOWEVER... there are some rare exceptions where some brands of radios have been "rebranded" and may be compatible. HobbyKing used to sell rebranded radios that were compatible with Radiolink and FlySky but it was hit and miss depending on which version of which radio you got, etc.

Safest bet is to stick with the same brand when buying replacement Rx's.

I don;t think so. Only some rebranded receivers will bind like @bill_delong said.

Traxxas rx goes to Traxxas tx. Spektrum goes with spektrum, futaba with futaba and so on.
If you have a different receiver from the same brand, it should bind up.
For example I use a RadioLink RC6FG (6 channel) with my Radiolink RC4GSV3 (5 channel radio)
My uncle uses a 4 channel Futaba receiver with his Futaba 7PX (7 channel radio)
So if the receiver has more channels than the radio, you can use the extra channels, but can't control them.
If your radio has more channels then the receiver, you can only control those channels on the receiver.

With my Losi Mini B, when I converted to brushless, I used a ProBoat receiver and hooked right up to the stock RTR radio. (Both are from Horizon Hobby so thats why) It did take a few tries to bind up but it bound.

Normally they don't cross bind however I have cross bound a redcat transmitter to a flysky receiver however I think I got lucky to be honest.

It's all about the protocol! FHSS FAASST AFHDS DSMR and other acronyms. If the Tx and Rx both support a certain protocol they can be bound. Number of channels is irrelevant. E.g. my FlySky GT5 has only a couple of officially supported receivers, but any AFHDS2A (cute name, right?) receiver can be bound to it.

Same company doesn't guarantee compatibility. For example, FlySky's GT2 series uses older protocols and their NB4 uses newer. Same with Spektrum, Futaba, etc...

Normally they don't cross bind however I have cross bound a redcat transmitter to a flysky receiver however I think I got lucky to be honest.
That may not be so much luck, as it is that most of Redcat's radio's are rebranded FlySky stuff. I use to have a list of which Redcat, HSP, Exceed RC and FlySky radios matched which receiver's, but i have no clue where it is anymore. The ones in the pics will all pair with the FS-GR3E receiver.
51dmjuGR12L._AC_SX522_.jpg

RER09422_A1_KIPJT2RK.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Hi

I have a Receiver Binding question. Are there any rules for what type of receiver can be bound to what type of transmitter? Like can a 3 ch Receiver be bound to a 5 ch radio and vise versa and so on. I have a Arrma ARX 100 3ch Receiver and I was wanting to see if it will bind to a Radiolink RC4GS 5ch radio, I have never tried cross binding radio brands.
The ARX100 receiver will only bind to the Arrma Tactic TTX 300 and Spektrum SLT3 radio's (the SLT3 is pretty much the Tactic TTX 300 in a new case).

Hi

Thanks guys, that's what I was needing to know. I'll go ahead and order some extras radiolink receivers for my new radiolink radio then.

Back