old chassis new life!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxtcrageless

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I joined the forum a few months ago, just now hoping back on, grew up in the hobby. I got out in my early 20's, and regret it. Now i have a son that is in the hobby with a 2wd slash. He broke at the local track, so i replaced the broken servo (gears) upgraded to a stampede servo saver. Also changed over the plastic steering bellcranks (white pieces if named wrong). The track is high traction carpet so we put electrical tape on the tires (spec class) to help with grip. Now the steering is to quick and It has stock electronics, from a diy kit. Trying to keep it in spec class to let hit learn easy, can I upgrade the radio/receiver with the bluetooth to slow it down, without hurting spec rules? Another question, old losi chassis's and electronics, I know I'm better off with a better radio setup, but from what I have seen, I can use a 2s lipo that is a mild mah that's close to a normal nicd/minh pack as long as I use a battery alarm/ cutoff, how fast will it be compared to a censored 17.5 setup that is normal on the track, this is using a novak cyclone esc, stick packs until i find good sub [c] batteries, and various other old school motors? Thanks for taking the time to read

For the slash, just turn down the steering, as in, adjust the steering endpoints so it doesn’t have as much steering throw. That might help, some radios have a steering expo which can slow down the steering speed. Steering expo would be my first option.
What motor is on the losi? Brushed or brushless? I’m not familiar with that esc but it should already have a low volt cutoff. Mah is the milli amp hour/ capacity and really doesn’t have much to do with speed if anything at all, it’s the voltage. I think a nimh stick pack is like 7.2 volts and a 2s lipo is 7.4 volts.

Nobody knows what you have in that Losi so no idea how fast it will be... That ESC is really an oldtimer now, you could replace it with a cheap Hobbywing 1060 and have lipo cutoff.

Also, the plastics in your Losi are probably brittle and it won't do well in a crash. Are there spares still available?

For radio/electronics rules, ask at the track. Don't upgrade to another Traxxas radio if you do upgrade. There are better options out there in all price ranges.

But yeah, for starters turn down the dual rate on the steering of your Slash. All radios have that option.

Welcome to the forum.

ESCs - Motors - Batteries have come a really long way. If Spec class allows it, I would replace them... a good Hobbywing combo is about $85

adjusting the endpoits on a slash will never slow down steering thats just misinformation .Only thing limiting endpoints will do is increase turning radias.so you will never make a hairpin turn

adjusting the endpoits on a slash will never slow down steering thats just misinformation .Only thing limiting endpoints will do is increase turning radias.so you will never make a hairpin turn
I realized that during my suggestion, hence suggesting turning down the expo/ or dual rate, whatever the radio has. Thanks for pointing out my flaws.

For the slash, just turn down the steering, as in, adjust the steering endpoints so it doesn’t have as much steering throw. That might help, some radios have a steering expo which can slow down the steering speed. Steering expo would be my first option.
What motor is on the losi? Brushed or brushless? I’m not familiar with that esc but it should already have a low volt cutoff. Mah is the milli amp hour/ capacity and really doesn’t have much to do with speed if anything at all, it’s the voltage. I think a nimh stick pack is like 7.2 volts and a 2s lipo is 7.4 volts.
I dont have a radio yet for him thats capable of anything really, its all stock system, and for the motor in my stuff, its the old school brushed midnight 2

Nobody knows what you have in that Losi so no idea how fast it will be... That ESC is really an oldtimer now, you could replace it with a cheap Hobbywing 1060 and have lipo cutoff.

Also, the plastics in your Losi are probably brittle and it won't do well in a crash. Are there spares still available?

For radio/electronics rules, ask at the track. Don't upgrade to another Traxxas radio if you do upgrade. There are better options out there in all price ranges.

But yeah, for starters turn down the dual rate on the steering of your Slash. All radios have that option.
its all pre lipo stuff, and i dont have a radio that he can use, i have an old school airtronics m8, but I'm looking to replace it, and upgrade his system, but i see there are more radio options now, but how good are flysky, radiolink just to name a few

I realized that during my suggestion, hence suggesting turning down the expo/ or dual rate, whatever the radio has. Thanks for pointing out my flaws.
It does have any of the 3 you said.so how about another thing. Hey tell him to turn radio on it has that !

sorry for the confusion guys, sons traxxas is all original, only adjustment besides esc profile ( training-race-full race no reverse) on the controller is steering trim, he uses the traxxas batteries that have auto ID. my losi is a xxxtcr, dont remember what servo, novak cyclone, 3000 nimh stick pack, black widow brushed motor,m8, i ran a test and tune night with the xxx tonight, until i can get another chassis i HAVE to upgrade the electronics, the track runs 17.5, but looks like they are going away from the trucks, now in passing i did pick up a losi 22 5.0 elite for dirt cheap, no tires or electronics, guy wanted to get a new b7, so if I'm looking to get stuff like newer 17.5 censored esc and motor, newer transmitter, batteries, and tires and wheels, which this track is high traction carpet and they run bald tires, what are good sources nowadays without breaking the bank and wife making me an unsolved mystery?

Back