I Have a Question about Brushless ESC's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id look at at least an 80 or 120A for any 1/10 scale off road. 80A for 2WD ST is fine, 120A is better. anything 4WD Id go 120A. :2cents:

Hi

It looks like I can get older HW SC10 80A combos for around $90, out of curiosity what would a 60A work good on?

1/10 touring cars probably? Anyway, cheap motors can be OK, but at least get a hobbywing esc. Not worth gambling with off brand ESCs.

I run a HW max10 60A combo in my rustler 2wd for general use and bashing. It's okay for what it is. When I had my HW max10 sct 120A in my rustler it had a little bit more power. I was running the same kv motor, gearing and ESC settings. Also depends on how heavy the car is. The HW 60A I have is meant for on road touring and light weight STs. The HW max10 sct 120A I have is meant for heavier SCTs, MTs, STs and so on.
1/10 touring cars probably? Anyway, cheap motors can be OK, but at least get a hobbywing esc. Not worth gambling with off brand ESCs.
Yea. Ebay ones aren't really that good. So far my HW escs and motors have been really good, power ful, reliable, and lots of programmability.
As with the cheaper ebay ones, you can get less programmability, less reliable and more issues.
I would either go with Hobbywing or castle. Onyx has a cheap system. It is 80 dollars and with a 70A ESC. 4000kv motor (sensorless). https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ampaign=pmax&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

Last edited:
I cheap amazon brushless system in my 2wd Stampede and it runs perfectly. I've had it for several years.

Hi

I have a couple of 1/10 Stadium Trucks and I would like to equip them with brushless systems but I don't know what the minimum amperage should be for 1/10 ST's.

I was looking at this one but I'm not sure if 60A would be to low or not.

For 1/10 Scale RC Cars 3660 4T 3300KV Waterproof Motor + 60A Brushless ESC Combo

That combo is not suitable for a ST, those 550 cans are for SCT which is a 1/8 size chassis

Something like this combo here would be better for 1/10 ST with a 540 can:
https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Brushless-Upgrade-Waterproof-4300KV/dp/B07WHCM3Y2

Hi

I have a couple of 1/10 Stadium Trucks and I would like to equip them with brushless systems but I don't know what the minimum amperage should be for 1/10 ST's.

I was looking at this one but I'm not sure if 60A would be to low or not.

For 1/10 Scale RC Cars 3660 4T 3300KV Waterproof Motor + 60A Brushless ESC Combo

That combo is not suitable for a ST, those 550 cans are for SCT which is a 1/8 size chassis

Something like this combo here would be better for 1/10 ST with a 540 can:
https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Brushless-Upgrade-Waterproof-4300KV/dp/B07WHCM3Y2

I've purchased that exact ESC and I cannot recommend it. It has unacceptably high takeoff lag. I even got the programming card and tried upping the punch settings, no luck.

I replaced the ESC and kept the motor and the difference was night and day.

I recommend a Hobbywing 10BL60 and a Surpass 3650-sized motor, or a Surpass ESC & Motor combo.

For only $10 more than the GoolRC ESC, you can get triple the performance.

60 amp ESCs are fine for stadium trucks (ST)... provided the truck is still a ST and not all decked out with large 2.8" super heavy knobby tires and you're not trying to push 3S power to them. That being said, I used one of Hobbywing's EZRun ESC/motor combos back in 2010, because they were a lower cost alterative to others out there.
1676878847202.png

That EZRun was 35 amps and the 9T motor was stupid fast for me while onboard my Evader ST Pro. (check out that antenna 🤣🤣)
100_7355.JPG

And I still run that 35amp ESC in my T4.3... sure it's beat up and fan is shot (I haven't used a fan on the ESC for many years now) but the darn thing just doesn't want to quit.
1676879433217.jpeg

Would I recommend a 35amp ESC nowadays? No. I think Hobbywing stopped making that model quite some time ago. A 60 amp would fit the needs of a ST very well. Sometimes you just gotta play around with those ultra cheap RC electronics sold out there. Make mistakes in the hobby... that's how we learn. Right?

There is a reason why all those cheap low cost ESCs look like, or try to look like, a Hobbywing speed control.

Here is my rustler with the max10. (60amp) The max10 sct (120amps) would barley fit on the esc plate. The 60amp ESC still have plenty of power for my rustler. With the gearing I am running motor stays cool for most of the bash session.
PXL_20230121_190544404.jpg

Here is the SCT 120 amo in my slash with a custom ESC plate.
60amp ESC should be plenty for a ST. You can always go with 120 if you want a little bit more power or if you are putting on huge 2.8 MT tires. I am going to experiment with that I will put on my duratrax lockups in my rustler and see how the esc and motor holds up. (Going down to a 14 pinion)
PXL_20230116_235005351.jpg

Last edited:
1676878847202.png

☝️ Thats a 380 sized motor though. Just be aware those cans with the super deep cooling fins are not true 540 sized motors.

Hi

Thank you for all the info it helps a lot and gives me something to think about. The two ST's I have are an older Traxxas Rustler which has been updated and upgraded with the new Magnum 272R, tranny, and the other is a RC10GT converted to electric. Theye are both running 2.2" ST tires.

I would stay away from no name escs, some work ok, but most of the time don't. I never had good luck with them. I like quick run 60, it's light and cheap, 120 is also awesome. If you need waterproof than max 10. Most cheap motors like goolrc are fine, but not esc

Screenshot_20230220-212941.png

Here is my rustler with the max10. (60amp) The max10 sct (120amps) would barley fit on the esc plate. The 60amp ESC still have plenty of power for my rustler. With the gearing I am running motor stays cool for most of the bash session.
View attachment 160681
Here is the SCT 120 amo in my slash with a custom ESC plate.
60amp ESC should be plenty for a ST. You can always go with 120 if you want a little bit more power or if you are putting on huge 2.8 MT tires. I am going to experiment with that I will put on my duratrax lockups in my rustler and see how the esc and motor holds up. (Going down to a 14 pinion)
View attachment 160682
isnt that how you fried one of your trannies??

isnt that how you fried one of your trannies??
Yes, I had the slipper to loose or too tight of a gear mesh. I toasted the trans case and input shaft. I saved the idler gear and diff so thats good.

Last edited:
Your slipper was too loose
Fixed. :)

The lowest pinion I have is a 14 which I used for the MTs. Maybe I should go all the way down to a 12? I was also running the stock 86 spur at the time too. I got a HR steel spur (86) so that should help too with not stripping spurs.

Fixed. :)

The lowest pinion I have is a 14 which I used for the MTs. Maybe I should go all the way down to a 12? I was also running the stock 86 spur at the time too. I got a HR steel spur (86) so that should help too with not stripping spurs.
doesn't matter what your gearing is. You just need your slipper set right to avoid that problem.

Hi

I went ahead and ordered the HW Quicrun 10BL120 Sensored ESC, "I have a Tekin 10.5 Redline Sensored Motor to go with it", and a HW Quicrun WP 10BL60 ESC for going into the Rustler. And I won't be using anything more powerful than a 2S on these.

Thanks again for the info. Now I just need to figure out who has the best stand alone BEC's?

Back