HULKS MGT BUILD (race mode)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see it muddy thanx!

Don't worry it won't be a shelf queen, it's going to get plenty dirty bro! I was going to make this one of my track trucks for this summer but it looks like I may be going the basher route instead. It's hard to believe how much heavier the 8.0 trans is than the 4.6 trans even with the FOC installed. I really was aiming to make it a good track rig. Looking at body options now. I am leaning toward the Jconcepts Bajr body like Ckeith used on his mad maxx build. The MGT is wide so a short coarse body fits better than any other bodies I have tried before. Hoping someone could give me some pointers as for shocks I am still pretty stumped on that one. The MGT has 100mm stock length shocks. I know tmaxx shocks work with a little custom modification. The stock shocks I know do not hold up well so they are out of the question. Was wanting to give the Gmade's a shot but can't find there 103mm anywhere.

Ya I looked around for ya too man, all I found were the 95mm bro,...a set of losi 8 shocks would look badass

Ya I looked around for ya too man, all I found were the 95mm bro,...a set of losi 8 shocks would look badass

Yah I just tried a set of fronts the diameter of the shocks will not fit through the RPM a arms so now I'm limited to pretty much an eight shock setup no matter what. I have been researching some people using the new Proline powerstrokes for the slash you just have to run the rears all the way around and you need eight from what I can come up with.

Maybe some ue with a shorter end?

I was going to make this one of my track trucks for this summer but it looks like I may be going the basher route instead.
Ugh. What made you change your mind? I really wish my track had an MT class. Out of the 30+ custom builds you've done, which one is your top MT racer as well as those at your track?

There is a new track opening like 3 miles from us that's supposed to be nitro-centric (I can't WAIT) and am trying to get an MT class going. I've got three other guys who are down with it (we all have Savages). Of course I'm a race buggy guy but I like bashing my Savage, and would really like see how it competes in 'race mode'

Seeing as you race MTs, would love any and all race setups for them. Thanks!

Last edited:
I prefer the Maxx! Most guys are running the Lst's a couple savage's no MGT's at all. That's why I wanted to go the racer route on this build. I did pretty well last season with just a beat up XTM BB converted maxx rig. The Lst trucks are the hardest to stay with if they can drive. I will be running my Rd logics BB chassis truck this year. It's running a stage 2 mod Lrp.30 BB engine, Brushless diffs with Hot racing Aluminum diff cups with bad horsie heavy diff grease in the rear, and stock up front. Current setup has Ofna LX2 rear 16mm big bores all the way around with the heaviest weight truggy springs 100wt rear 60wt front. A lot of guys don't like the Rpm true track setup for racing but I have no issue's at all. Also running an old school set of Gs off set sut truck wheels and a set of proline bowties. Current setup I can hang with a buddies HPI trophy truggy pretty good on the track where we run. There are several guys running Revo's coming season so should be more competitive this year! There's nothing better than running in the MT class. You have to be able to drive to compete no offense to the truggy guys out there though. It's a hole lot harder to make a MT go hard on the track than it is a truggy! And not all my builds have been just race rigs. If your considering a savage as your race rig be prepared for some work. My bro is working his out for this season he is a hardcore savage guy so I will wait to see what he come's up with. I like the Savage rigs but I can tell you there about the slowest one's out on the track.

Last edited:
Cool. Good stuff. Yeah - I'm really thinking of building an MT racer - and no I'm not afraid of work. ;-) I can see how stiff shock springs would be a must, and overall roll center being the key to have a monstrous race MT. I'm itching to build an MT racer now that I understand the design.

What are some good race rules for this class? I'm going to propose something to the new track owner to help get the class in. I'd want to have a tech check. This is to help stop myself from building a damn truggy. Also from falling in the generic 'truck class' (who wants to race a damn Savage against an ST-RR? What is your ride-height? Does that MGT have droop adjustments? What are spec parameters at your track?

Additionally, I know nothing at all about that T-Maxx....This guy who worked at our LHS when I started this hobby (and to this day still knows his sh*t as well as anyone I've been around and had EVERY vehicle) once told me "I always go back to the T-Maxx" when I asked his all-time favorite RC vehicle. That resonated with me.

Last edited:
Well you kind of put me back on track to the reason I started this build in the first place man. I just ordered my thunder tiger st-1 wing mount that fit the new era shock towers. Looks like I will prob be going with the Proline powerstroke slash rear shocks going with an eight shock setup. First off the track I run at runs basic UMT rules when it comes to the MT class. They do not let the small block guys run in the BB class they separate them according to engine displacement.

Well got my shocks finally figured out. I am going with a new set of Traxxas big bore shocks. I did some measuring and the MGT shocks are like maybe 1mm or so longer. With my new era shocks towers I can compensate for length difference enough it shouldn't make a difference. Plus I can get the Traxxas big bore's cheaper than about any others out there, and I know there strong enough to take the abuse of a heavy rig. I will post some pics later of what I have gotten accomplished so far.

Well here's what O got so far. I am up to a point where It is sit and wait on parts again. I got the engine kinda just mocked in since my engine mount came in. I now know I will need an extended throttle linkage. The Titanium hinge pins came in so I installed the RPM arms. Hope the titanium pins hold up better than stock but I'm skeptical since the Lundsford ones I have tried didn't hold up.

View attachment 13511

View attachment 13512

View attachment 13513

View attachment 13514

Last edited:
Coming along nicely bro!.....what issues you havin with the ti pins?

what issues you havin with the ti pins?

For me, they bend… I’ve Never had any luck with Ti hinge pins on a MT and gave up on them and Ti toe links, they are also a major pain to remove once bent. The only improvement imo over hardened steel pins is a little weight savings.

I use 1/8th inch drill bit shafts cut from long drill bits (or ejector pins) for my hinge pins and rarely have any bent/broken compared to Ti and all the others.

For me, they bend… I’ve Never had any luck with Ti hinge pins on a MT and gave up on them and Ti toe links, they are also a major pain to remove once bent. The only improvement imo over hardened steel pins is a little weight savings.

I use 1/8th inch drill bit shafts cut from long drill bits (or ejector pins) for my hinge pins and rarely have any bent/broken compared to Ti and all the others.

Thanks snook I will be trying this for sure! Snook how do you secure the hinge pins from coming loose?

Last edited:
Coming along nicely bro!.....what issues you havin with the ti pins?

All the ti pins I have tried thus far have been a joke, including the Lundsford punisher ones. I purchased a set of GPM ones going see how long they last:hehe: and then maybe I will try Snooks idea! I have a set of HCR pins that I figure would be fairly strong but they have no grooves for e clips so I would have to drill the A arm mount to install some sort of set screw and I really do not want to do that. Back in the day HCR made a special set of mounts to use with these hinge pins.

You should contact Mitch at M2C and see if he has anything to fit your AE. I use this joystick system on a few vehicles....where hinge pins used to be the bane of my RC existence....problem solved. Plus even if you are just bashing it you'll be able to tune it to suit whatever environment that truck is taking on. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this info nitronerd I may look into this a bit further. For tonight I have had my hands full trying to get my exhaust to work. I purchased an RDLogics exhaust and header combo and it arrived today. I figured it should be a straight forward install:hehe: Boy I was wrong. I had to use my dremel to machine away a crap ton of the header mount where it slides up over the engine header mount. I managed to destroy 2 header gaskets in the process:angry: I was finally able to create my own gasket setup to get it to seal up good and tight I hope. I thought that all .21 and up BB engines used the same size header diameter. Don't now because the RD header would not fit any of my other BB's either strange. Wish I would have just went the LST header mount direction now. I may later redo it but the RD logics is the only company I could locate that does the rear mount header for the MGT. I really wanted to be able to run the Rc solutions roll cage that's why I stayed with the rear exit, at the track cage can come off when bashing the cage can go on. Anyhow I think I got it figured ended up ordering several diff header gaskets also, just because LOL!:hehe: My funding is running short on this build, I hope I can talk the wife into letting me purchase my badland tires I have been wanting! I hope to have some new pics up Thursday evening of what I have accomplished thus far. Also has anyone else ran into this BB header diameter thing, this is the first for me. I mean it's crazy the Rd header would not even fit over the lip of the header mount with out a gasket even on the block?

Well I got the header problem figured out. The original MGT .21 had a smaller header diameter than the .28 MGT. The exhaust I bought was listed as fitting MGT. I contacted RDlogics and I have purchased the correct header thankfully they still have them in stock! Now time to wait on more parts.

Glad to hear it. It never hurts to have an extra set of gaskets on hand anyway...especially if you are testing out pipes. I change them every gallon or so.

Glad to hear it. It never hurts to have an extra set of gaskets on hand anyway...especially if you are testing out pipes. I change them every gallon or so.

Well I will definitely have plenty of back ups I have bought about 4 packs of 2 in different brands and thickness. I placed my order with Rdlogics today for the correct header! Looks like my shocks and my spring kit should be here in morning. Maybe I can get some more work accomplished. I have my buddies newly acquired savage rig tore down now. I just got to many people bringing me there rigs to wrench on now!

Well hulk just think of all the MGT parts you can buy with all that wrenching $$$$$. Oh I'm sure were gonna break some stuff crawling today, so you better clean some room on the ole work bench.....:D

Back