HPI Savage X 4.6 trouble continues.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie Evans

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright so I purchased a Savage X from my LHS about two weeks ago. I ran break in and maybe four tanks after that. I would liked to have run it more but when I went to start it I noticed that the roto start on the back plate gas became loose so I took off the engine and upon further investigation realized that all of the bolts have fallen out and the back plate has cracked. I E-mailed HPI and they said they would send me all of the parts no cost which was nice. But after just about two weeks of waiting for the parts I really wanted to run, So I purchased the parts I needed, later that day HPI emailed me a tracking number which said that the parts have been droped off at my house nut I have yet to see a package from HPI. Whatever, I have my new parts that I bought now I will have extra. So I am excited to run it today after nearly two weeks! So I took it out and ran it I had to finish tuning it because I did not finish that before it broke but I finally got that all set and ran about six tanks when all four wheels locked up. So after a while of trying to free Ito did but it was dark so I could no longer run. So I went home and looked closer and found that the set screw had fallen out of the rear drive cup on the transmission. But there were metal shaving in the gear box so I pulled out the gears and first and second were locked together I looked between them and saw something in there moving. All of the screws fell out of the plate. My friend bought the same truck and is having no trouble and he is new to the hobby. I don't understand why this is happening!
I am not sure if you will be able to view the pictures. But if you can the last one is the set screw that fell out.

cid:821770FC-3DDD-4139-9780-EE7EE7C17599/2011-08-31_23-27-49_763.jpg

cid:A3CE3BDD-BC25-4D66-8489-7622487412BC/2011-08-31_23-28-00_429.jpg

cid:15C9DF33-193E-4629-8D99-BCAC62DD1215/2011-08-31_23-27-35_105.jpg

cid:B7C21A09-D29E-4C68-B4D1-5D19D0DA9B84/2011-08-31_23-18-01_271.jpg

These things are mass produced so every now and then there will be a bad unit. Seems like you have the bad luck of getting one of them :\

It sounds to me like the 1-2 shift mechanism came apart but your pics aren't there for me to look at it.

Well, Thanks for reading my novel, and yes it did come apart like you said. I hope HPI helps me out. And sorry about the pictures.

They helped me out but it took about a month, what problems are you having?

Ummm bolt been Fallon out because no loc-tight was on anything transmission problems right out of the box engine and brakes how about you?

I had things falling out becauseI they were not lock righted. I also had transmission problems

Wow, i hope this doesn't happen to mine. I just received mine in the mail 2 days ago and just broke it in but i have been reading on other posts about problems people typically have out of the box.

So far what I've gathered:
tighten all screws on the whole truck to makes sure everything is tight. if you wanna go the extra mile add locktight to all of them but thats alittle extreme to me.

starter back plate needs lock tight and usually doesn't come with lock tight on the screws.

Diffs apparently need to be shimmed.

I'm kind of disappointed that the majority of screws are philips. I would be much happier with hex screws so i might later on get a screw kit.

Hope these problems are sorted out with your truck !

I agree with you on almost all of this! I think they should lock tight stuff from the factory, I have wish that it was hex also I have an old HPI firestorm and that is all hex, I have not had to shim the differentials though, and I hope you can get your problems sorted out, I think I finally got mine.

Just some friendly advice, whether you get a kit or a ready-to-run model you should always go over it and loctite it in certain areas. Factory units are not always as "ready-to-run" as they would have you believe, especially if you are new to the hobby.

Back