Restoration Project #11 - HPI Savage XL 5.9 - Locked up rear diff/wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Savvy is beautiful šŸ˜
Thank you, it sure does look handsome!

I couldn't get it to shift into the 3rd today, not sure whether it needs a longer runway...
Maybe if I just loosen/tighten the 3rd gear and then just set it back to where it was, will do the trick?
Actually found it not to be consuming a lot of nitro, a full tank lasted me good 20 mins of play.
Personally I think whoever is complaining 5.9 uses too much fuel, is just running it pig rich.

Thank you, it sure does look handsome!

I couldn't get it to shift into the 3rd today, not sure whether it needs a longer runway...
Maybe if I just loosen/tighten the 3rd gear and then just set it back to where it was, will do the trick?
Actually found it not to be consuming a lot of nitro, a full tank lasted me good 20 mins of play.
Personally I think whoever is complaining 5.9 uses too much fuel, is just running it pig rich.

The 5.9 has the factory mod in the sleeve to scruff fuel ,they have the fangs cut
for better fuel economy!.. :thumbs-up:

The 5.9 has the factory mod in the sleeve to scruff fuel ,they have the fangs cut
for better fuel economy!.. :thumbs-up:

Thank you for sharing that, I had no idea, it was factory modified for fuel efficiency.
Before even firing my 5.9 I watched a few videos online, and some complained it eats nitro, but then again you can clearly hear on those vids, it was running rich.
Before I got the truck tuned (factory needle settings), it was heavy on nitro.
Overall I am very happy with the Savage line up, especially the 5.9, and I am not sorry I sold my Revo, which I think was underpowered.
Now, I just need to figure out why its not shifting into 3rd.
Pretty sure its just my tune and it needs a longer runway.

Thanks

Thank you for sharing that, I had no idea, it was factory modified for fuel efficiency.
Before even firing my 5.9 I watched a few videos online, and some complained it eats nitro, but then again you can clearly hear on those vids, it was running rich.
Before I got the truck tuned (factory needle settings), it was heavy on nitro.
Overall I am very happy with the Savage line up, especially the 5.9, and I am not sorry I sold my Revo, which I think was underpowered.
Now, I just need to figure out why its not shifting into 3rd.
Pretty sure its just my tune and it needs a longer runway.

Thanks

At this point ,if your tune is close ,I wouldnt tune to shift!
You should learn the trans ,not all trans shift point is perfect ,if you find the set screw
adjustment ,it probably only needs a 1/16 of a turn out ,a very slight turn at a time.
Counter clockwise will relieve the tension on the shift pawl to swing & catch earlier!

At this point ,if your tune is close ,I wouldnt tune to shift!
You should learn the trans ,not all trans shift point is perfect ,if you find the set screw
adjustment ,it probably only needs a 1/16 of a turn out ,a very slight turn at a time.
Counter clockwise will relieve the tension on the shift pawl to swing & catch earlier!

Thank you for the tip. I agree, I will give it a very slight turn counter clockwise on the 3rd gear and see how it goes.
I am realizing after getting a second Savage, I am having some minor tuning issues.
It seems that I have tuned both in an exact same way, same issue, so it can't be the cars :)
Need more time with it, but its hard for me to get rid of high RPM after WOT, it takes a few seconds for the car to calm down, I'd like it to drop down to idle, almost immediately. I think my tune may be off.

Thank you for the tip. I agree, I will give it a very slight turn counter clockwise on the 3rd gear and see how it goes.
I am realizing after getting a second Savage, I am having some minor tuning issues.
It seems that I have tuned both in an exact same way, same issue, so it can't be the cars :)
Need more time with it, but its hard for me to get rid of high RPM after WOT, it takes a few seconds for the car to calm down, I'd like it to drop down to idle, almost immediately. I think my tune may be off.

I am having a little issue with that on a new Hyper 21 ,but what I found ,was the Mid needle was
very easy to turn ,so I suspect it is leaking causing the engines idle to stay high for a few seconds
more ,when I blip the throttle ,it seems to idle down!
So check for any leakage or air leaks around the needles ,a good indication is ,if they are sloppy
an real easy to turn!..:thumbs-up:

I am having a little issue with that on a new Hyper 21 ,but what I found ,was the Mid needle was
very easy to turn ,so I suspect it is leaking causing the engines idle to stay high for a few seconds
more ,when I blip the throttle ,it seems to idle down!
So check for any leakage or air leaks around the needles ,a good indication is ,if they are sloppy
an real easy to turn!..:thumbs-up:
Nailed it.
Exactly the same here, but this only happens to me on my Savage line up, 4.6 and 5.9, as I said, after I am done tuning them, they both behave the same.
High RPM after WOT, then if blip it a few times, the idle will come down too much, to the point the engine shuts off.
Leaned LSN and tried fiddling with the idle gap, have not figured it out yet. But, I will.... :)
I will def check the mid needle on 5.9, but I believe that 4.6 does not have one?

Said this so many times, but the best tuning I have achieved where cars run mint are on HSP engines. They are just amazing.

So, I inspected the mid range needle, it is tight, does not seem to leak, plus when I put the carb back together I checked o-rings and applied some o-ring grease to it.

I guess it comes down to my tuning.

So, I inspected the mid range needle, it is tight, does not seem to leak, plus when I put the carb back together I checked o-rings and applied some o-ring grease to it.

I guess it comes down to my tuning.

Do you have the throttle return spring on the carb?

Do you have the throttle return spring on the carb?
Interesting you ask this.
No, I do not, I removed it because throttle servo is not strong enough to fully open the carb.
Its not the original HPI servo, and I haven't got a replacement atm.

However, I made sure that carb slide fully goes back to idle, there is no "play" in it.
You would know this right away, if the idle changes when you apply full brakes.

May I know what set up you got on your savage, and did you end up redesigning the throttle/brake linkage like many did?

Interesting you ask this.
No, I do not, I removed it because throttle servo is not strong enough to fully open the carb.
Its not the original HPI servo, and I haven't got a replacement atm.

However, I made sure that carb slide fully goes back to idle, there is no "play" in it.
You would know this right away, if the idle changes when you apply full brakes.

May I know what set up you got on your savage, and did you end up redesigning the throttle/brake linkage like many did?

I asked about the spring ,because I noticed on all of my rc's ,if I dont have a spring ,they will not always
return back to all the way to idle causing a slight high rev or delayed idle down!

I dont have a Savage ,but I have the 5.9 engine an run it in my Mgt. ,I just havent ran mine lately because
I havent got around of buying the glow plugs for it yet ,the rc's that I been running this summer all are
Turbo plug engines!

I asked about the spring ,because I noticed on all of my rc's ,if I dont have a spring ,they will not always
return back to all the way to idle causing a slight high rev or delayed idle down!

I dont have a Savage ,but I have the 5.9 engine an run it in my Mgt. ,I just havent ran mine lately because
I havent got around of buying the glow plugs for it yet ,the rc's that I been running this summer all are
Turbo plug engines!

First thing I always check when tuning friends nitros is throttle linkage is set correctly, opens and closes fully.
If this is not right, no point in attempting to tune.

Hey dude

I fired up the Savage yesterday, I could hear it shift only once though, which I thought it must be the second gear.
After loosening the 3 gear screw, even up to half a turn, it was shifting earlier, again to what I think is a second gear.
Is it possible that its shifting from first to third right away?
Or is it maybe stuck in second and shifts from second to third.
I have no idea.

Hey dude

I fired up the Savage yesterday, I could hear it shift only once though, which I thought it must be the second gear.
After loosening the 3 gear screw, even up to half a turn, it was shifting earlier, again to what I think is a second gear.
Is it possible that its shifting from first to third right away?
Or is it maybe stuck in second and shifts from second to third.
I have no idea.

LOL..I dont know ,I never had a 3 spd trans ,if it takes off quick with out lag from dead stop ,
then surely it is starting off in first gear!
However ,every vid that I watched on people running them ,I never heard a 3rd gear shift because
by that time ,the RC is too far away!..šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø:hehe:

You can hear it shift in all gears, for example in this video.
Plan is to tighten the 3 gear all the way in, so its not suppose to shift into third. That will tell me if its shifting into second on not.
Tune the second first, then start loosening the third and tuning it from there. Sounds good on paper, lets see how it turns out in practice.
I really enjoy this type of work, trying to make it all click together, what this hobby is all about.

Shifts in all gears 5:00 into the video..

Ok yea ,forgot about Hybrids vid!
Most you can't tell ,not sure how they are from factory or if Hybrid adjusted it
to shift earlier ,could ask him ,I am subbed to him an watch his channel all
the time!..:cool:

Ok yea ,forgot about Hybrids vid!
Most you can't tell ,not sure how they are from factory or if Hybrid adjusted it
to shift earlier ,could ask him ,I am subbed to him an watch his channel all
the time!..:cool:

I watched all his 5.9 vids, and he did not say what his final tranny adjustments are, which is a shame.
If you don't mind asking him, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

I watched all his 5.9 vids, and he did not say what his final tranny adjustments are, which is a shame.
If you don't mind asking him, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

I watch his Live feeds all the time & interreact with him ,I can ask if it is
set from factory or if he changed it at some point!..:thumbs-up::cool:

So, I tightened the 3rd gear clutch all the way in.
Now it shifts but very very late, now I am confused whether this is the second, that I could not hear it shift into before.
Or, its the third that its late shifting because I tightened it... haha

I am thinking the 3rd gear shifting point is lower than 2nd.
Question remains, is it possible that it was shifting straight into 3rd.

Meh, I need to dissamble the whole gearbox, which I was sorta trying to avoid.

So, I tightened the 3rd gear clutch all the way in.
Now it shifts but very very late, now I am confused whether this is the second, that I could not hear it shift into before.
Or, its the third that its late shifting because I tightened it... haha

I am thinking the 3rd gear shifting point is lower than 2nd.
Question remains, is it possible that it was shifting straight into 3rd.

Meh, I need to dissamble the whole gearbox, which I was sorta trying to avoid.

That was what I was getting at!..
We both know that it will start off in first ,gear ,after that ,what gear is engaged?..šŸ¤”

Back