Restoration Project #11 - HPI Savage XL 5.9 - Locked up rear diff/wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hi Fellas

So, my 4.6 Savage wasn't doing it for me, so I snapped this 5.9 up a few weeks back for $200 USD all up.
The truck looks like it hasnt seem much use, and is in great condition overall, as you can see, its not even dirty that much.
One issue though, rear wheels do not move, rear wheel drive shaft removed, they still wont turn
That tells me its not the gearbox, issue must be in rear diff, I am hoping its not dead, as I am not sure whether spare parts for these trucks can still sourced?
I was hoping it would just a "grub screw" broken/fallen out issue, as is common on these trucks, but no luck there.
Anyway, heres a few pics, please let me know what you think of the buy, and what the issue could be.

Cheers

sav1.jpg

sav2.jpg

sav5.jpg

sav3.jpg

sav34.jpg

Ok, I have removed the rear bulkhead and as soon as the diff bottom alu purple plate came off, held with two screws, I was able to move the diff/spin the wheels, although with resistance, which I think is normal.
Green grease inside looks clean, no dirt went in.
I then screwed the purple plate back on, and again, the diff/wheels locked up, only to find out those two screws are too long and hit the drive cups when they are fully in.
Using shorter screws fixed the issue.
How weird is this?
I wonder how is this even possible?
Screws in the pic, are the ones that are just too long...
They measure 17 mm in length.

sav6.jpg

sav7.jpg

Ok, shes a roller now, assembled the rear bulk back on, and the car now rolls nicely when pushed.
The diff problem is solved.
For whatever reason the previous owner was fiddling with diffs (maybe wanted different diff fluid), he swapped around some screws, which prevented the drive cups from spinning, hence the car was sold as only Front Wheel Drive.
Onto the engine resto and sealing, which is seized due to long term storage

Last edited:
Dang man...You always finding great deals. Seems like I need to buy my RCs from NZ 🤣

Dang man...You always finding great deals. Seems like I need to buy my RCs from NZ 🤣
Hi

I actually thought I overpaid due to RWD not working.

NZ is a great place to live in!

However, I always imagined the US as a heaven for thrift hunting, the sheer amount of goods that you guys have amazes me.
I love going to those shops for bargain hunting, and watching some guys do it and post it on youtube makes me wanna move there...:)

Last edited:
I seen someone on E-bay trying to sell just that engine used for $400 dollars!..:hehe:
I see complete Savages going for quite a bit on eBay.
I am not sure if the its because they are becoming more popular or scarce?
Initially I thought I paid too much for this Savage, and took a bit of a risk, but it all ended well, engine has great compression (just refurbed it yesterday) and RWD not working turned out to be an easy fix.
Part of the game with second hand nitro's, you don't know what you are buying.
Even the box, I took a while to admire.... :)

After putting the engine together, when I blow trough the carb, I can hear hissing from the front bearing.
Hoping it will not be a major, and once saturated with oil, leak will go away?

After putting the engine together, when I blow trough the carb, I can hear hissing from the front bearing.
Hoping it will not be a major, and once saturated with oil, leak will go away?

It might seal itself ,but I heard that no bearing is really leak free ,just as long as
it doesn't leak too bad!..🤔

It might seal itself ,but I heard that no bearing is really leak free ,just as long as
it doesn't leak too bad!..🤔

Thanks!

I front bearing looks really good (front end) and seal looks great.
I have a habit that after each engine restore, try and pry the front seal out (if rubber) with a precision knife and stuff it with grease, as sometimes water might get in and cause rust, since I wash all my engines in a ultrasonic bath.
With this one, I have left it as is, as from experience those front rubber seals are quite easy to damage when being removed.

Also, one question, front bearing, is it sealed both front and back, or only front?

Cheers

I figured out why the previous owner removed the rear bulkhead.
After assembling the truck, I noticed when applying brakes, front wheels were not braking at all.
After closer inspection, one of the the RWD transmission drive cups grub screw was missing.
I guess he focused on the rear diff right away, thinking the problem was there.
Its ready for a test run, its a spring sunny day today...perfect.

sav8.jpg

Last edited:
I am very happy with this purchase.
Engine started first click today, needs a tune, but runs and sounds healthy.

Taken the truck today for a small ride, haven't even finished fine tuning it, but it runs beautifully, and no leaks/oily spots anywhere.

Taken the truck today for a small ride, haven't even finished fine tuning it, but it runs beautifully, and no leaks/oily spots anywhere.

That truck is much bigger than its predecessors ,those tires are even bigger than the other ones so I
think that truck is highly collectable!..🤔

That truck is much bigger than its predecessors ,those tires are even bigger than the other ones so I
think that truck is highly collectable!..🤔

I will try and keep it mint.
Filled the tank, went out, naturally the needles were set to stock, few mins later, I was running low on fuel :)
It eats the fuel quick, especially if its running rich. But once tuned, I think it wont be as bad as I think.

Just remembered that I have some new pro line road rage tires, that came in a Revo bundle long ago.
Lowered the truck a bit, put them on, looks awesome.
Its time to test the 3 speed.

savnewtires.jpg

I think hpi quality control was bad. My second rc was savage x 4.6. central drive shaft was missing from the factory, so it was rear wheel drive only. The same day I went back to the hobby shop and at first they couldn't believe that drive shaft was missing. Guy had to tear it apart completely to install a new.one

I think hpi quality control was bad. My second rc was savage x 4.6. central drive shaft was missing from the factory, so it was rear wheel drive only. The same day I went back to the hobby shop and at first they couldn't believe that drive shaft was missing. Guy had to tear it apart completely to install a new.one

Hard to believe something so obvious would be missing from a ready to ship product.
To be honest, rear central drive shaft was super easy and quick to install, mine was taken off as well, but was included in the box.
I am guessing you don't have the Savage anymore?

Cheers

Hard to believe something so obvious would be missing from a ready to ship product.
To be honest, rear central drive shaft was super easy and quick to install, mine was taken off as well, but was included in the box.
I am guessing you don't have the Savage anymore?

Cheers
It was the front one missing. Yes I still have it but I didn't run it in a while

Back