HPI Clutch pilot nut help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aed3810

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi again, I have trawled the internet to no avail and I'm really hoping someone can help.

Long story short - new engine with two shoe flywheel etc and it had the HPI 101062 pilot nut (see link) with it. I have the 180 degree clutch shoes fitted but it looks like I need an e-clip for the nut to hold the shoes in place as otherwise they will ride forward and ruin themselves.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HPI-101062-Clutch-Nut/dp/B002KCXRAG

I simply can't find what e-clip I need, it's not listed on the HPI website and I can't find any discussions on it?

I would very much appreciate any advice from someone who either has this pilot nut in their rc so they could tell me what the part code for the clip is?

Thanks guys

Why not just take it to a hardware store and head to the hardware section, usually have slide out bins with all sizes, find the size that fits properly...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

+ 2 with synnyzter..... I remember 1 time I lost my screw for my HI-Flow 2-Stage Air Cleaner I use on my MAXX I looked all over my Bashing Spot on my R/C Work Bench & could not find it & my HS could not get a fine thread screw to match to it what they had in stock of screw's.... So off to my Hardware Store BINGO they had the screw I needed... So I would try there....

Took your advice Synnyzter and searched through all three of my local hardware stores. No joy :(
I've decided to give in and just buy an assorted pack of e-clips from eBay. At least I will have spares now!!

new engine with two shoe flywheel etc and it had the HPI 101062 pilot nut (see link) with it. I have the 180 degree clutch shoes fitted but it looks like I need an e-clip for the nut to hold the shoes in place as otherwise they will ride forward and ruin themselves.

You shouldnt need and E-clip...The clutch shoe spring(s) should hold them in place.

The pilot nut has a slot for an e clip and there is about 2.5mm gap from the top of the shoes and the clutch bell. Running today the shoes have ridden forward to be very close to rubbing on the bell?

You need to post a pic of your setup. You either using the wrong clutch nut or shoes/spring(s).
The nut you posted a link too is used for a 3 shoe clutch with 3 individual springs normally. The springs ride in the concave portion of the nut and hold the shoes in place.

I've never used a clutch that required an e-clip to hold the shoes in place.

Will try and post a picture on Wednesday when I'm home but I did decide to use the full moon HPI clutch shoes rather than the normal type as I simply can't get on with the normal type, I keep either overstretching the springs or getting angry!! Haha!!
I have seen a few vids online of clutches that ask for e clips but I will admit they are not common.

The stock 3.3 clutch uses an e-clip...not the only one that does. also note that behind that e-clip you must put a shim (thin washer) else it will destroy your bearing. Learned that long ago...

I can't imagine an ace hardware not having the correct size, they and most other major hardware stores such as Lowes carry every size imaginable....

Thanks for the info synnyzyer; I'm sure a decent hardware store would stock all the e-clips i would ever need but I'm at least an hour from a lowes or b&q!
Does the shim sit between the e clip and the clutch shoes or between the e clip and the clutch bell?

Between the bell and clip. Bell goes over clutch, then shim, then clip last. That sucks but unless.you can find the part number on a diagram of that clutch which may give you the size, the store is only way I see doing it.

---------- Post added at 3:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 3:46 AM ----------

I'll see if I can find the size. 1/8 buggy right? Trophy 3.5....?

Yeah the 3.5 buggy but I couldn't find what size I needed anywhere on the hpi website or anywhere else for that matter!

OK I see it's for a few different models, HPI sucks as far as diagrams do, unlike other major companies who have exploded views with all parts.

Which engine do you have exactly?

I thought the nut the holds the flywheel on the collet, then the clutch shoes go around it, then bell, and a screw in the end of the drive shaft... That's how my HPI's are. I'm trying to think if mine has the same nut because I have a 3.0. I don't recall a clip on either of mine and that nut according to http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=101062 fits the 3.0 as well.

It's been a long time since I tore mine apart. If it wasn't 4am id do it now, maybe tomorrow when i get up ill take a look, its half apart anyhow.

---------- Post added at 4:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:13 AM ----------

You need to post a pic of your setup. You either using the wrong clutch nut or shoes/spring(s).
The nut you posted a link too is used for a 3 shoe clutch with 3 individual springs normally. The springs ride in the concave portion of the nut and hold the shoes in place.

I've never used a clutch that required an e-clip to hold the shoes in place.

Yep that's right, duh! That nut is indeed for the 3 shoe clutch and those 3 little springs sit in that groove as snook said. Man don't I feel dumb now...

Long day, and I totally missed this post, sorry!

---------- Post added at 4:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:19 AM ----------

I'm going to bed before I make more of a bonehead of myself lol...be back tomorrow.

Yeah, I've never seen a clutch that used a clip on the flywheel nut to keep the shoes from sliding out to the bell. I see the slot in the nut your talking about, but I honestly don't think you need to worry about it.

I've used an e clip to hold the bell on the pilot shaft, but that's the only clip I've used and I proffer to use a washer/bolt in the end of the pilot shaft anyway as the clips like to pop off and then you lose your shims/bearing and likely the spur.

1624296461065.png

Greywolf74, lol, Duh on me, I'm new to this post, was reading through, tried to help someone, didn't' even look at the date, lol.